who breaks into cars with an axe?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, welcome to IPCT! :wave:

I spent over 31 years in my line of work and I'd like to have a dollar for the number of times I heard "...I want a street light in front of my house to improve security."
Yeah, right...it just makes it easier for the bad people to see what they're doing in poor lighting or darkness. Notice how she didn't flinch when the motion lights came on? We've all see this scenario dozens of times, likely 90% of the time....they don't care or are too tweaked to notice....or possibly both. :screwy:

Angry Andy

n3wb
Reaction score

I spent over 31 years in my line of work and I'd like to have a dollar for the number of times I heard "...I want a street light in front of my house to improve security."
Yeah, right...it just makes it easier for the bad people to see what they're doing in poor lighting or darkness. Notice how she didn't flinch when the motion lights came on? We've all see this scenario dozens of times, likely 90% of the time....they don't care or are too tweaked to notice....or possibly both. :screwy:
Sounds like we do the same work!

I work for a large local city as an electrician who maintains traffic signals and street lighting, and your exactly right about everyone wanting a light in front of thier house....we don't have funding to put one everywhere...they all complain about break-in's and not safe to walk at night. Lights are nice, but as you also point out the thieves don't flinch when lights are on or off.

Also about 20 years ago I was installing new underground infrastructure converting overhead wiring underground, and one out of 15 or 20 people would complain about the proposed light in front of thier home. I personally would love one, but I have wood poles overhead feeding our homes. Strange how some people would not want them, but to each is own.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I work for a large local city as an electrician who maintains traffic signals and street lighting,
Yep, sure did, from Jan. 1973 to April 2004, 29 of those 31 years in northern California, hence my avatar. I knew another "Tony" named Tony Haag that worked on traffic signals there in your city of Concord many years ago, from about mid '70's to maybe as late as '94, not sure.

Last edited:

NightLife

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

Agreed!

Years ago, and I mean many many years ago I watched a TV program which investigated lighting as it pertained to theft deterrence and it was concluded that it didn't make a damned bit of difference. They had a dark compound, and a compound lit up like the surface of the sun. Not one bit a deterrent. It was an interested little watch. Each had it's bait, and the cameras rolled as the zombies crept in to each...

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
It's a pity the PD didn't arrive and arrest her on camera. That might have been an even more interesting watch.

As for the axe, I guess she'd was either doing a bit of late night wood chopping and decided to try and collect some treasure along the way, or she was deranged and couldn't figure out how to open the door on the spaceship.

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

Yes! I wasn't in the same business, but its obvious this is the case. My neighbor recently installed motion lights "for safety". "For safety" is a euphemism for "I don't have a clue about personal security and it makes me feel better."

I'm gong to save this video to send to folks who say that!!

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I recall when I built this place in '06, in a VERY rural area, in the middle of a National Forest area, the closest house was my dad and stepmom's, about 1,000 yards uphill.
My dad says "...aren't you gonna have the co-op utility put a street light and a pole in your yard?". I said "No sir...I want it pitch black so when I go out at midnight I can see much of the Milky Way but not my own hand in front of my face."

That's what I got and that's what I like. :cool:

Reaction score
Damn, that ring video runs circles around my 2231's all night. Mine would be blurry as hell, and I've tried all the suggestions provided by the helpsters herein to crispen things up, no joy.
I hope the 4k-X that just showed up puts this shit to rest, I want me some crisp night video :mad: