White flashes on HikVision 4MP cameras

digger11

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
After seeing more than one person mention that they have seen “white flashes” from their 4mp HikVision cameras, I’d like to start a new thread that is dedicated to that single issue to see whether we can nail down what is common to the ones that have this symptom.

I’d like to ask the members who have purchased a 4mp Hik to post a reply to this thread, and include the following:

• From the camera’s web GUI Configuration>Device Information tab gather the following:
    Model
    Serial No. (Feel free to mask out the last several digits, or just list the 4-character region code that follows the date string in the serial number string.)
    Firmware Version
    Encoding Version
  • From Configuration>Video/Audio:
    Resolution
    Bitrate Type
    Video Encoding
  • If you can access it, what firmware version is listed on the label attached to the camera.
  • What if any hardware or software based NVR you are using.
  • Whether you are seeing the flashing symptom.
  • If you are seeing the flashing, whether you also see it when looking at the Live View in the camera’s web GUI.

I'm hoping that the above info will let us figure out whether the problem is specific to particular camera models, to particular region cameras, to to a specific firmware version, or perhaps to hacked firmware.

fiz1

n3wb
Reaction score
My Hikvision 4MP has the same problem with white flashes/blinks. I reflash with V5.3.3 150630 with no luck. Any other fixes?

fiz1

n3wb
Reaction score
Model number is: DS-2CD2142FWD-IS. Order via aliexpress and the seller assured me it's the US/English version. Other than the constant white flashes/blinks, the camera appears to be working as intended. However, the flashes is a major issues as it triggers the motion capture causing false alerts.

hiky

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hampshire - South central Uk, right at the bottom
I had the same issue with a DS-2CD2342WD-1 2.8mm, i had white flashes but infrequently, my main issue was night time drops to black which would trigger the motion detection every few seconds, no setting changes helped except by turning off motion detection

I contacted Hikvision with the issue and they sent me an updated firmware, i dont recall what was on the camera to start with but with the 5.3.3 150826 version installed... at the moment the issue appears to have been resolved, however i will give the camera at least 12 hours usage before drawing any final conclusions

I also reset the camera to default after the firmware update just for belt and braces sake

Not sure whether the firmware i have is out and being used by others or my version is a test version

just to note the firware was applied on the 28/11/2015 for others finding and looking at this thread

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Model number is: DS-2CD2142FWD-IS. Order via aliexpress and the seller assured me it's the US/English version. Other than the constant white flashes/blinks, the camera appears to be working as intended. However, the flashes is a major issues as it triggers the motion capture causing false alerts.
Whoa...hold on there partner. fiz1 most likely has a "Chinese Region" camera while hiky most likely has a "Western Region" camera. Update your Chinese Region camera with Western Region firmware (which is what Hikvision sent to Hiky) and fiz1's camera is taking a quick trip to Bricktown...and it's going to be very very difficult getting it to come back home.

Danger Will Robinson!

hiky

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hampshire - South central Uk, right at the bottom
Whoa...hold on there partner. fiz1 most likely has a "Chinese Region" camera while hiky most likely has a "Western Region" camera. Update your Chinese Region camera with Western Region firmware (which is what Hikvision sent to Hiky) and fiz1's camera is taking a quick trip to Bricktown...and it's going to be very very difficult getting it to come back home.

Danger Will Robinson!
Yeah actually that is a good point and well worth mentioning, my camera was indeed western region ( Uk ) but i did give hikvision all the details they needed to supply a relevant FW

But as Q2U said, please only add a firmware change if you are sure your hardware matches it AND it is needed, as the old saying goes... if it aint broke, dont try and fix it

On the firmware i applied, not sure how many hours now it has been since i applied it but there has been a 2 day night cycles with motion detection on and i am pleased to say the issue appears to be resolved, absolutely no false triggers due to detected drop outs or flashes in vision, although i have had vehicle lights triggering motion record even with sensitivity at minimum so now i am trialing line cross detection

Korgoth

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Ahh, sorry, it's in polish, it means - "Motion_det_bug_fix"

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ahh, sorry, it's in polish, it means - "Motion_det_bug_fix"
"Motion detection bug fix"

Korgoth...WELCOME...I have enjoyed your posts over at CCTV Forums immensely and I welcome you to IpCamTalk.com most heartily! Cheers.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

fiz1

n3wb
Reaction score

Danger Will Robinson!
hi Q2U,

Just for clarification and an update. All the cameras I have are "International Region/English", thus updating with a newer firmware can occur without any issues.

I do believe there is a bug in in the 4mp camera firmware. If I reset all settings back to default (except for network/user accounts) the issue with the white flashes in the day time (at night it flashes black) disappears. However, if I set certain settings on the camera the flashing/blinking issue comes back. So far I am unable to determine to exact combination of settings. My case is somewhat confusing as I am using a mix of methods to configure the 4mp camera such as the web interface, ivms software and NVR 7806e2.

If I had more time, I would eliminate the various variables so that I can test each one individually.

Thanks for the help.

tomw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have raised a dispute with my seller Diana (AliExpress sore is "WEB CAMERA" http://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/cNw8DLlW).

Given this is using hacked firmware that can not be updated, the camera is faulty - as it in unusable for it's intended purpose given the "white flashed" issue.

Will let you know the outcome.

Here is a video of the flashing:

http://sendvid.com/o2ae8oml

fiz1

n3wb
Reaction score
I have raised a dispute with my seller Diana (AliExpress sore is "WEB CAMERA" http://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/H2iE4hi).

Given this is using hacked firmware that can not be updated, the camera is faulty - as it in unusable for it's intended purpose given the "white flashed" issue.

Will let you know the outcome.

Here is a video of the flashing:

http://sendvid.com/o2ae8oml
Same issue with mine. Try what I did. Reset the settings on the camera except for the accounts and network settings. Do not configure motion detection or any other options. Does the camera still flash/blink?

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have raised a dispute with my seller Diana (AliExpress sore is "WEB CAMERA" http://www.aliexpress.com/store/1111147). Given this is using hacked firmware that can not be updated, the camera is faulty - as it in unusable for it's intended purpose given the "white flashed" issue...
1) There is a fault with the camera (white flashes) which can be corrected with a firmware update

2) However, the firmware cannot be updated due to the fact that the seller hacked the firmware

3) Therefore, the camera is defective and the seller should replace it with a unit which is not defective

This is a very powerful argument Tom. But have fun trying to make such an argument on AliExpress where you'll probably hear something like this...

"No sure you not config bad! Need pictures! Not our fault you not do camera right!"

I hope I'm wrong brother...but this is the reaction I got from a seller after I bought 3 Hikvision cameras which came arrived with hacked firmware which caused an endless reboot loop for all 3 cameras. I ended up paying CBX to replace the firmware which came installed on the cameras. He did a good job and the cameras were fine after that.

tomw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi Fiz1, sorry but I'm done with messing with the cam. I did disable the onbourd motion when testing and still had the issue (but did not do a reset cycle).
I need motion detection.

Thanks guys, we'll see how it goes.

I have discussed with the seller and asked for a refund but have now lodged a formal dispute with AliExpress. My first and only my secone ever after many many Ebay and now Ali.

I included the video and the sellers comments so we'll see how it goes.

Clear lesson about rolling the dice with hacked firmware.

I am not sure why there is an issue flashing it with the new CCH firmware? I get it that it checks the "hard coded" region on the camera during the flash to prevent use of US/UK firmware...but surely the CH firmware would still work?

tomw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ah, the joys of the AliExpress dispute process....

Emails to supplier "Diana Ali", (store http://www.aliexpress.com/store/1111147) goes something ike this...(shortened version):

Me> Camera is faulty and can not be upgraded. Pls. provide a refund.
Diana> Camera can not be upgraded. How did you upgrade?
Me> That is my point camera can not be upgraded. Does not work as is. Please provide refund.
Diana> Camera test ok. You said it has been upgraded. How you upgrade.
Me> I have not and can not upgrade it. It is as shipped. It does not work (see video). Please provide refund.

(Sigh)

tomw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
AliExpress dispute team has found in favor of me :)

Looks like I'll be getting a refund after all!