Which processor

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
K is a good letter. It means " huge balls"....In Computerese. ( a little known geek language) T is a bad letter. It means " no balls." Sometimes referred to around here as " Castrated."

Last edited:

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
a 6 core with 12 threads. vs. the second link. Same chip no letter. less balls. but also uses less power.

KML

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Your latest system has a dreaded letter after the processor. I'm no CPU expert, I believe those with a letter after the number indicate lower performance, possibly without integrated graphics, which you want. The advice here is to NOT get one with a letter after it.
This is what I found from letter "K"

The "K" chips are usually the fastest, with higher clock speeds than the standard chips without a letter in Intel's mainstream chips. It also means the chip is "unlocked," where its clock speeds can be tweaked — or "overclocked — by a user to squeeze out a little extra performance than what you get out of the box. Usually, it's mostly enthusiasts who tend to overclock their chips, and they're mostly designed for desktops or high-performance laptops.

KML

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If you buy a build to order PC from Dell, you could expect to pay that much.
Sounds like a strong system.
I'm thinking that you could run a cheaper used system, and have money for other purchases.
But I don't know how Finland works with Ebay, or New Egg,
Huuto.net ?
At least with my experience buying from Ebay it takes months to get the purchase.
Huuto.net I haven`t used, but I know there is everything from tractors to carpets..
Lynx last night :) Seems to be a puppy, because the previous was much bigger.
1630227624577.png

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
The processor and motherboard are overkill. They're not going to hurt, but you don't need a Z490 motherboard or K processor. The main point to the K processor is they're unlocked for overclocking but do you want to overclock? Probably not advisable on a pc on 24/7/365 from both a longetivity and cost pov.

I'm unure of the motherboard, check out somewhere like HardwareUnboxed or Gamers Nexus on Youtube for reviews. You cna also search for MB pwoer stage tests on YT. What's most important for Motherboards is the Power Stage in my opinion (ie the MOSFET Capcitors). It's usually the caps that fail or fail faster on cheaper boards. The Z490 is a high end chipset, but the Asus Prime boards tend to be one of the cheapest in the line up from memory and thus may have one of the weaker power stages.

For that reason you might be better off with a lesser chipset and higher up the range board. I'd look at reviews. A b460 would probably suffice, MSI Bazooka and Tomahawk are supposed to have good power stages from memory - looks at reviews from the above Youtubers. Beware the later B560 boards without review as many are reported as having garbage power supplies even if previously good models on other chips.

If you want to go Z490, you could also look at the MSI Tomahawk and at reviews for it. At my local vendor it's been reduced from £195 to £149 which is few pounds cheaper than the Asus Prime (from a more expensive rrp), due to Z490's being discontinued. I guess there's more markup on MSI than Asus maybe. Either way, I'd check reviews. The Tomhawk used to be praised for it's power stage in reviews. The main point of a good Power Stage is over clocking potential as it can supply more power. You probably don't want to be overclocking. However, I see it as being like a car for longetivity, it's better to have a bigger engine and be running it at idle, than have a small engine that's flat out. However, as I mentioned above, it's often the power caps that fail on a MB and what a better power stage buys you is not only a more powerful stage but also often quality Japanese Capacitors (MB manufacturers usually shout about these if fitted) so check the specs. If you choose wisely, these are often said to be the best and longest lasting. Just my opinions and beliefs.

Last edited: