Which processor

KML

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi guys !

I`m about to updgrade my hardware from older i3/Mirasys NVR to BI (that I have installed in the old i3 now).
The offer is between these two "professional" used/leased hardware with new SSD.

E-Medic ST-M 4th. gen i7
Intel Core i7-4790T (intel HD 4600 graphics) | 8 GB DDR | 120 GB SSD | Windows 10
400 euros

HP Z240 Workstation MT E3
Intel Xeon E3-1225 v5 (intel HD P530 graphics) | 16 GB DDR | 256 GB SSD | Windows 10
500 euros

My cameras
two Hikvision 8MP DS-2CD2185FWD-I and cable waiting for the third.
one Hikvision 4MP DS-2DF8436IX-AEL
I would like to run them as fast as possible, and probably I will get few cameras more.
How about the second hard drive for storage, what to choose. The recommendation was HDD.. ?

Thanks for your expert consultant !
KML

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
They are both very old processors. I run a i7-4790 processor with 16 cameras. But no deepstack. Most Xeon processors are power pigs. Any CPU with a letter is normally a low power CPU, with less performance

I would look at getting a good CPU and 16GB memory system. Not sure what is available in the EU. Then add at least a 120 GB SSD and a WD purple drive. You may need to shop for a while to get a good deal. If I was purchasing today I would be looking for a 7th GEN CPU. -

look at the following info
============================
Choosing Hardware for Blue Iris
Blue Iris Update Helper
PassMark - CPU Benchmarks - CPU Mega Page - Detailed List of Benchmarked CPUs
====================================

KML

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
They are both very old processors. I run a i7-4790 processor with 16 cameras. But no deepstack. Most Xeon processors are power pigs. Any CPU with a letter is normally a low power CPU, with less performance

I would look at getting a good CPU and 16GB memory system. Not sure what is available in the EU. Then add at least a 120 GB SSD and a WD purple drive. You may need to shop for a while to get a good deal. If I was purchasing today I would be looking for a 7th GEN CPU. -

look at the following info
============================
Blue Iris Update Helper
PassMark - CPU Benchmarks - CPU Mega Page - Detailed List of Benchmarked CPUs
====================================
Thanks Yankee, I had to be quick, it was the last one so far, so I ordered it already.
KML

Reaction score
Sorry I didn't chime in earlier. I used to run a Xeon 1225 for several years. Finally updated to a more power-efficient 6th gen i7 with an HP SFF Desktop. Tons of headroom.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Here in the USA I would not pay more than about $150 USD for the i7 computer, or $100 for the Xeon (which does not have hyperthreading). Maybe supply is really bad where you live.

Anyway as long as you configure Blue Iris for efficient performance, you should be okay with practically any CPU, maybe even your current i3. Optimizing Blue Iris's CPU Usage

KML

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for your tips guys !
Is that really so ? I am not that familiar with buying these, I have always asked someone more specialized.
I guess I didn’t mention that I choose the Xeon (price 500 euros with 32 GB DDR).
I didn’t realize it’s that old.
Hardware is expensive here in Finland, so I decided to buy a used one, and one known supplier with 4,5 stars in Trustpilot had these to offer. The marketing speech was like this:
“The chipset of the motherboard is optimized together with the features of the processor to handle a continuous demanding computational task and thus significantly speeds up, for example, the compression of video material or the rendering step of image processing”…
I guess I could change the order to one more expensive, but I tend to pop a wheelie every now and then with my acquisitions, even I could manage with less..
Do you think I could top speed BI with this Xeon and about 6 cameras ?
I already got i3 CPU to run 30-50% by sub stream (FPS 15), as it was about 100% before.
But I was hoping to run with max FPS and bit rates (without any need of low res) with this new one..
KML

KML

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Would this be any better, for 300e more ?

“As a powerhouse, the Lenovo ThinkStation P410 delivers tremendous performance for demanding design! The almost timeless 8-core Xeon E5-2620v4 is a processor capable of demanding computing that is guaranteed not to run out of power. The NVIDIA Quadro K620 is a professional-designed graphics card with 4 GB of memory that performs well on 2D models and, for example, high-resolution video editing. The massive 32GB of main memory offers access to truly memory-intensive software”

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I wouldn't buy the Xeon E5-2620v4 either. It is about the same age. You are starting to get into the price range where you should be able to buy a brand new system that is 2 or 3 times as fast as that.

I doubt the 4-core Xeon will handle your 6 cameras maxed out. 4K (8MP) cameras are very demanding on resources when not used with sub streams.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Can you search for a Dell Optiplex in Finland? with a Core i7-6700? in small form factor.
or...
the intel Core i7- 4790 would be found in a Dell optiplex 9020 SFF...

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Those are rip off prices for what's on offer.

You could build a brand new i5-11400 based system with 16mb of RAM for that money. It would destroy either of those systems.

Here's what I've been considering (please note this isn't intended as a perfect example and some may choose to offer advise to me on this, but this is what I'm considering):

Cheap Case such as DEEPCOOL Tesseract BF Black/Blue Mid Tower PC Case or Antec GX200 (emphasis on decent air flow)
MSI Bazooka Motherboard B560
i5-11400 (integrated graphics version)
250GB Samsung evo SSD
16GB Corsair Vengence
6TB Seagate HD
500W BeQuiet PSU

Totals around £613 but that includes the £130 surveillance drive, so it's £483 for the pc.

All of that is quality components although I haven't seen a review of the B560 version of the Mobo. Usually MSI's have a very good power stage. What's missing is an OS but that's around £110 from a vendor, around £20 from a key vendor (maybe some risk depending on who you use), or free if you can get Windows 10 to install as an upgrade.

Last edited:

KML

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
he asked for help and jumped the gun buying a Xeon.....which isn't going to be helping him much i guess....I knew a guy like that once.....He bought 2 Jidetech camera's :banghead:
That`s true, I didn`t know when I could get answers, if any (but luckily got), and that particular Xeon was the only machine available at the moment with that seller.
The order is cancelled now, and I`m trying to get an i7 with hyperthreading feature.
I´ve jumped gun before also, first a Yamaha Waverunner, changed it to Harley Road King, changed it to Cadillac Eldorado conv , no regrets and happy now :) :)

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
An older i7 isn't necessarily faster than a newer i5. Suggest you look here:

The i5-11400 I mentioned scores higher than an i7-10700

KML

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
An older i7 isn't necessarily faster than a newer i5. Suggest you look here:

The i5-11400 I mentioned scores higher than an i7-10700
OK, thanks !
As I don`t have enough experience and knowledge, asked prices for two companies (big and small) to build me a machine
from around these specs.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
You nearly always pay a big premium for asking companies to build you a machine. In the US there's a company that does it for no mark up and I think you pick the components so it's win win, but most other companies are going to charge you anything from £100 right up to maybe a 1/4 the cost of the machine.

Many Youtube channels have how to build a pc videos where you can watch them build or follow along.

BTW you don't need a graphics card with an Intel processor so long as you choose one with integrated graphics and Intel Quicksync.

KML

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You nearly always pay a big premium for asking companies to build you a machine. In the US there's a company that does it for no mark up and I think you pick the components so it's win win, but most other companies are going to charge you anything from £100 right up to maybe a 1/4 the cost of the machine.

Many Youtube channels have how to build a pc videos where you can watch them build or follow along.

BTW you don't need a graphics card with an Intel processor so long as you choose one with integrated graphics and Intel Quicksync.
Thanks CCTVCam
Yes, I now.
This other company is a one man company, for example assembling a computer from parts is 79 euros (incl taxes).
I will see what the part prices are, but I bet he cannot externalize him self from business by keeping the prices too high.
Although I have done this and that with electronics also, and consider my self as a quite handy man, it`s easier to use a plumber in plumbing :)

KML

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I don`t expect anyone to take any efforts in advicing me more, but I got the offer from the bigger company,
and it would be interesting to know how much more expensive this package is in Finland than in other countries.
This is 1067,- euros delivered ready to use. Doesn`t tell me much, but I asked it with this link
and told that category "Great performace" is fine for me.

Asus PRIME Z490-P + Core i5-10600K + 16GB

DDR4 3200MHz

| PRIME-Z490-P

Asus PRIME Z490-P, ATX-

| BX8070110600K

Intel Core i5-10600K, LGA1200, 4.10 GHz, 12MB,

Boxed

| KF432C16BBK2/

Kingston 16GB (2 x 8GB) FURY Beast, DDR4

3200MHz, CL16, 1.3

* KUPONKIINTEL-

21Q2-

HITMAN3

Intel Channel Enthusiast Specialty Bundle | Intel

Core i

2 ASX8200PNP-

256GT-C

A-Data 256 GB XPG SX8200 Pro NVMe SSD,

M.2 2280, PCI

3 CP-9020101-EU

Corsair 450W CX450M, ATX

4 TRANQUILITY

Kolink Tranquility -

5 NH-U12S

Noctua, NH-U12S,

LGA/115x/2011/AM2(+)

6 HAJ-00058

Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 32/64-bit, FPP,

USB-media, FIN, P

Seagate 4TB BarraCuda, 3.5", SATA III, 256MB

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
If you buy a build to order PC from Dell, you could expect to pay that much.
Sounds like a strong system.
I'm thinking that you could run a cheaper used system, and have money for other purchases.
But I don't know how Finland works with Ebay, or New Egg,
Huuto.net ?

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Your latest system has a dreaded letter after the processor. I'm no CPU expert, I believe those with a letter after the number indicate lower performance, possibly without integrated graphics, which you want. The advice here is to NOT get one with a letter after it.