Which NVR to buy

v1nny

n3wb
Reaction score
Hope all is well! Newbie here. I manage a small residential building Bronx nyc and planing to install a poe ip cameras system beginning with a fisheye 12mp camera in front of property lobby entrance.
After doing lots of research I decided to purchase a Dahua NVR. I ordered this NVR released September 2016

Which NVR would've been a better purchase decision? Thank you in advance!

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

GH75

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
First glance they look to be the same. Help us and explain the difference?

First thought is 32 channels is overkill for 1 camera...

v1nny

n3wb
Reaction score
I plan on installing 16 cameras in the beginning and then adding more as needed. The one I purchased has 16 POE ports built-in and then the other NVR doesn't have any ports built-in. Would need to run switchboards to the NVR. Thank you

GH75

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Heres what I have heard and this is a great time to confirm.

I have heard you can not use any ip scheme you want. Also that the poe ports are not a true switch and you can not connect other devices to the poe ports. Like a laptop to access the cameras internal web page or a router.

I have been meaning to ask this question and i am sure someone will answer

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
v1nny,

Welcome to the forum!

- Both NVRs are very, very capable. They're not "entry" class.
- Your question seems to indicate you're new to this territory. You're not in the "Experienced" class.
Note: No "Dis" intended.

That said,
- That NVR is "Enterprise" category. Sophisticated.
- 16 to 32 cameras can be a handful
- Your mention of "switchboards": Are you using the ip network for phones at the same time? Or did you mean "patch panel" for terminating the camera home runs to an NVR? (or to a POE switch w/ one patch cord to the NVR?")

At this point, it seems you're sticking your toe in a river that you don't know how deep, cold, or fast flowing it really is.
I started 6 months ago with a simple system, as a newbie. This forum kept me from drowning, as I learned about the many tricky layers to the onion. V1nny, you'd be doing this while your apartment's tenants are curious and maybe your boss is looking over your shoulder? (different than my curious wife in a single family home)

As a guy raised in Brooklyn, with some time in the Bronx, I wanted to reach out. Go into this eyes wide open. Getting some local technical help (and wiring/install help) is highly recommended. This system could be very time consuming for you to create. ie: a multicamera system, with multiple viewing options, maybe audio (for front door), alarms, capture events, off-site video storage, etc.

And Security (will the system be accessible over the internet?). For remote viewing? (deep water there).

Best Wishes!
FastB