which models to get?

ipcamal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
EDIT changed equipment around on page 3

Hello

fenderman convinced me to replace my analog cams with hikvision IP cams. I'm also going to replace current q-see dvr with blue iris server. I'm not sure what models to get and what focal lenght. I narrowed it down to turret and domes. Currently I have 4 cameras, all are bullets that came with my q-see dvr.
I have one on front door, one in the backyard, one by garage and parking and one on the side of the duplex.

Here is my current front door camera:

my garage camera:

my side camera:

my backyard camera:

I will be placing new cameras in same spots because they are already pre-drilled and cat5e cable goes to those locations already.

Here is the view from my dvr of the POV of each camera.

As you can see front door is not good, backyeard also doesn't cover too well side and garage are decent.

Any advice on which camera to place where (dome vs turret) and focal length for each location?

thanks

Alex

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I would go with a 2.8mm turret at the door, a 4mm everywhere else.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
@ipcamal domes might present issues with where you cams are since they are exposed to the elements and would be mounted vertically and not really mounted back under the eve. Snow and rain will collect on the domes and you'll get really bad water spots or have possible IR blockage/reflection. Turrets with a matrix IR will give nice IR coverage and won't really have the weather related challanges.

Good LUck!

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Thank you. So 4 turret cameras, don't bother with domes?
3 turrets (DS-2CD2342WD-I) + 1 Huisun mini PTZ for that side shot at the bottom right (3x will give you 2.8mm Hikvision equivalent view)

ipcamal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@ipcamal domes might present issues with where you cams are since they are exposed to the elements and would be mounted vertically and not really mounted back under the eve. Snow and rain will collect on the domes and you'll get really bad water spots or have possible IR blockage/reflection. Turrets with a matrix IR will give nice IR coverage and won't really have the weather related challanges.

Good LUck!
Got it. Thank you

3 turrets (DS-2CD2342WD-I) + 1 Huisun mini PTZ for that side shot at the bottom right (3x will give you 2.8mm Hikvision equivalent view)
Interesting. What would be the reason for placing PTZ cam on the side? Also I was thinking of getting 3MP turrents instead of 4. They are around $100 on amazon vs. $300 for the 4mp. Would Huisun mini ptz work with Blue Iris?

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Interesting. What would be the reason for placing PTZ cam on the side? Also I was thinking of getting 3MP turrents instead of 4. They are around $100 on amazon vs. $300 for the 4mp. Would Huisun mini ptz work with Blue Iris?
Reason #1: It's running Hikvision-like firmware and uses same protocols, so it works with everything where Hikvision works including BI
Reason #2: It's a PTZ so you can be sloppy where you mount it and then fine tune it afterwards
Reason #3: Its IR is very bright and will provide much better IR coverage then any Hikvision, so you'll get much better night view for larger area
Reason #4: It's actually cheaper then English version of the 4MP turret (~$140 + shipping)

3MP turret is cheaper, but you will have to deal with hacking firmware if you want to do any firmware upgrades and night time IQ is like that: 3MP turret < 4MP turret <<< Huisun PTZ

ipcamal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Reason #1: It's running Hikvision-like firmware and uses same protocols, so it works with everything where Hikvision works including BI
Reason #2: It's a PTZ so you can be sloppy where you mount it and then fine tune it afterwards
Reason #3: Its IR is very bright and will provide much better IR coverage then any Hikvision, so you'll get much better night view for larger area
Reason #4: It's actually cheaper then English version of the turret
Got it. Thank you. Works with BI, no issues?

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
@klasipca I'm starting to think your a Huisun distributor.... or maybe your Monica..... :loyal:

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
@klasipca I'm starting to think your a Huisun distributor.... or maybe your Monica..... :loyal:
I wish at least I could get some $$$ out of it :) I am just letting people know there is something that's actually better then what Hikvision current offers for same $$.

ipcamal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Can Huisun be ordered from USA? don't feel like paying $30 for shipping since I only need one or maybe 2

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Can Huisun be ordered from USA? don't feel like paying $30 for shipping since I only need one or maybe 2
No, for now only at Aliexpress as we know it. There are plenty of sellers, but Huisun direct seems to be cheapest. Shipping is actually now less then $20, but it may take 2-3 weeks.

ipcamal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No, for now only at Aliexpress as we know it. There are plenty of sellers, but Huisun direct seems to be cheapest. Shipping is actually now less then $20, but it may take 2-3 weeks.
Don't have patience for 2-3 weeks, next one is $30 for 3-5 days. I guess if i get 2, its decent

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
@ipcamal you will get better night vision coverage with either 2mp or 4mp, the 3mp chip has more noise in the night image.
Article Fender has referenced many times and explains why more MP isn't always better: http://www.cnet.com/news/camera-megapixels-why-more-isnt-always-better-smartphones-unlocked/

However, the 4mp cameras have the low lux rating and are not as noisy as the 3mp. I will tell you that you don't need to spend hundred per camera to get into the 4mp world. You can secure what you are looking for in the mid $1XX. They will also be western region cameras that are stocked here in the US as well as allow for firmware updates and total US support vs the china region cameras you are seeing on Amazon.

If I may offer a suggestion if you are set on HIK... Look at my review here:
https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/5681-HIKVision-amp-LTS-3-amp-4mp-Camera-review-example?highlight=LTS+3mp+4mp

Once you do that and connect the dots as to the manufacture of these cameras and are happy with what you see - then reach out via PM to @milkisbad and ask for a catalog and place an order for exactly what you want. I purchase through this company via another channel for my day job and I can't speak highly enough about them, however Milk works for another arm of that company and while I haven't dealt with him personally many on here have and rave about his service - all I can speak for is the company he works for and the products they sell. A++

Good Luck

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Got it. Thank you. Works with BI, no issues?
I don't use BI, I use Hikvision NVR with it and all controls work, but as far as I know latest BI update added PTZ controls for Huisun as well.

Btw forgot Reason #5: It's a fun camera to use :)

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
I wish at least I could get some $$$ out of it :) I am just letting people know there is something that's actually better then what Hikvision current offers for same $$.
Why not buy a bunch and start selling them on ebay... when I looked the other week there were several listed for $200+, when i looked at those listings sales history they had sold mult in the last 60 days, many around the $260 range...

Also you didn't deny being Monica.... :kiwi-fruit:

ipcamal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@ipcamal you will get better night vision coverage with either 2mp or 4mp, the 3mp chip has more noise in the night image.
Article Fender has referenced many times and explains why more MP isn't always better: http://www.cnet.com/news/camera-megapixels-why-more-isnt-always-better-smartphones-unlocked/

However, the 4mp cameras have the low lux rating and are not as noisy as the 3mp. I will tell you that you don't need to spend hundred per camera to get into the 4mp world. You can secure what you are looking for in the mid $1XX. They will also be western region cameras that are stocked here in the US as well as allow for firmware updates and total US support vs the china region cameras you are seeing on Amazon.

If I may offer a suggestion if you are set on HIK... Look at my review here:
https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/5681-HIKVision-amp-LTS-3-amp-4mp-Camera-review-example?highlight=LTS+3mp+4mp

Once you do that and connect the dots as to the manufacture of these cameras and are happy with what you see - then reach out via PM to @milkisbad and ask for a catalog and place an order for exactly what you want. I purchase through this company via another channel for my day job and I can't speak highly enough about them, however Milk works for another arm of that company and while I haven't dealt with him personally many on here have and rave about his service - all I can speak for is the company he works for and the products they sell. A++

Good Luck
Thank you for detailed info. back to reading :)