Which lightweight recording software to use for IP cams on Windows PC

gp800

n3wb
Reaction score
I have tried out several software like Blue Iris, Sighthound and many other. But i just need recording software for 24 hours recording for 3 camera's. I noticed that almost every software has motion detection features and therefore high CPU usage. Already disabled motion detection but still uses huge amount of CPU power. Are there other software products wo can just record from 3x HD cams. The cams i use are like Hikvision (from Aliexpress) with a Sony IMX322 sensor. So my question is which lightweight recording software to use for IP cams on Windows PC.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have tried out several software like Blue Iris, Sighthound and many other. But i just need recording software for 24 hours recording for 3 camera's. I noticed that almost every software has motion detection features and therefore high CPU usage. Already disabled motion detection but still uses huge amount of CPU power. Are there other software products wo can just record from 3x HD cams. The cams i use are like Hikvision (from Aliexpress) with a Sony IMX322 sensor. So my question is which lightweight recording software to use for IP cams on Windows PC.
Hikvision has their own free ivms software...or you might consider a cheap hikvision NVR.

gp800

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for your answer but i don't have a Hikvision, but it is comparable with Hikvision, has no brand but a good to use quality. That is the reason why i was looking for (free) software to use for different types camera's (lightweight, without motion detection requirements).

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for your answer but i don't have a Hikvision, but it is comparable with Hikvision, has no brand but a good to use quality. That is the reason why i was looking for (free) software to use for different types camera's (lightweight, without motion detection requirements).
what is the cpu on the system you are using?

gp800

n3wb
Reaction score
Core2Duo processor, but i think when the camera has output MP4, it is just copying data, it doens't have to have translated to another format.. so that processor speed is not extremly important.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Core2Duo processor, but i think when the camera has output MP4, it is just copying data, it doens't have to have translated to another format.. so that processor speed is not extremly important.
Some software like blue iris will reencode the video unless you specifically disable that by selecting the direct to disc option..You need to optimize the settings on any software or you will have the same issue..

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Already tried Blue Iris with direct to disk option, but it appears to be cpu intensive.
If you tried it with the demo then you didnt use direct to disk..its not fully implemented in the demo. It was reencoding..
Also, if you cameras support onvif than a hikvision nvr will work just fine for 24/7 recording

gp800

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok, anyone still got idea's ? Still got no solution, just searching simple recording software which doesn't overload the CPU .

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, anyone still got idea's ? Still got no solution, just searching simple recording software which doesn't overload the CPU .
look at exacq, will cost you though.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
ftp? with a script to delete files older than X days.

jasauders

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Do the cameras have a save-to-NAS feature? If so, set up a samba share and create a folder for each camera, named appropriately. Then you can set up the paths to \\192.168.x.x\surveillance\rear-camera, then the same for front-camera, etc. That way each camera dumps its feeds within its appropriate directory.

I used to run like this. Wicked light, since samba is crazy light. This requires that the cameras support save-to-NAS... not all of them do. My Vivoteks did and they worked quite well since all I wanted at the time was 24/7 recording. I wrote a bash script (this was on a Linux box) that ran nightly do delete feeds older than x-days, similar to what nayr mentioned above.

AlpineWatch

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Do the cameras have a save-to-NAS feature? If so, set up a samba share and create a folder for each camera, named appropriately. Then you can set up the paths to \\192.168.x.x\surveillance\rear-camera, then the same for front-camera, etc. That way each camera dumps its feeds within its appropriate directory.

I used to run like this. Wicked light, since samba is crazy light. This requires that the cameras support save-to-NAS... not all of them do. My Vivoteks did and they worked quite well since all I wanted at the time was 24/7 recording. I wrote a bash script (this was on a Linux box) that ran nightly do delete feeds older than x-days, similar to what nayr mentioned above.
Just what I'm looking for! Have a Hikvision DS-2CD2032F-I and am looking for storage larger than the 64GB card I have installed.

jasauders

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just what I'm looking for! Have a HikvisionDS-2CD2032F-I and am looking for storage larger than the 64GB card I have installed.
It worked well for what I needed at that time. On another thread here recently I went into detail about how I made custom VLC launchers to launch VLC to a specific camera stream, providing me with 1 click access for each camera stream (I'm sure this is possible on Windows, but I explained my methods using Linux). I leveraged that as my "live view" and the two Vivotek cameras I had to just record 24/7 around the clock. They split up the feeds in 10 minute increments and auto-saved as .mp4. It worked out well, but I admittedly wasn't after much at the time aside from "just record everything, darnit."

This hinges entirely on whether the cameras have this built-in feature, though. Some cameras don't. I was attracted to the Vivoteks back in the day because they did, and I was on a tight budget and couldn't afford their 800-something dollar NVR.

gp800

n3wb
Reaction score
Still got no solution, the IPcam has RSTP streaming protocol, i think there's a possibility to simply store this format on disk, without CPU intensive actions so that a lightweight pc can handle 4 camera's.

Anyone else ?