Which Computer Do I Buy To Run Blue Iris On? What Do You Use?

firemaf96

n3wb
Reaction score
Long story short, you can easily find a suitable used computer for around $200-250 shipped. Add a suitable secondary HD for BI recordings and the BI software and you should be "good to go."
Thank you so much! yes i did read the entire 7pages of this thread. I did find several SFF computers but all require me to install a HD...was wondering if anyone has a suggestion for a ready to go SFF with all the specs and HD that I need. The NVR cost 500-700$ so its cool if I spend that on a ready to go SFF. Any suggestions? thank you very much

firemaf96

n3wb
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
That one looks great thank you. I do see it on Amazon but only has 1 hard drive but if I understand correctly I would need one with 2 hard drives (one for the OS / one for BI and recordings) is this accurate? If so I'd like to buy a SFF/micro that has this already. Thank you for your help!
It actually has a single SSD inside, plus connection for a 2.5-inch form factor HDD or SDD. Extremely easy to add an HDD in there.

firemaf96

n3wb
Reaction score
plus connection for a 2.5-inch form factor HDD or SDD. Extremely easy to add an HDD in there.
Oh ugggh I guess my options are buy something like that and add an HDD...darn i was hoping to be able to just buy the complete SFF with everything lol thank you Frog!

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
Oh ugggh I guess my options are buy something like that and add an HDD...darn i was hoping to be able to just buy the complete SFF with everything lol thank you Frog!
You are really better off buying a second hard drive for BI use. This is because you really need to get a "surveillance" or "server" quality HD. Most "consumer" grade HDs are not designed for the 24/7 activity that recording CCTV cameras is going to produce. They work fine while they last, but they will die much sooner than a "server" HD that is designed for 24/7 use and therefore has a much higher life expectancy (usually stated in hours or yearly data transfer amounts). These server drives are more expensive, but well worth it in the long run.

Most of us would suggest the Western Digital "Purple" hard drives for CCTV use.

PS - many times the larger drives have longer life expectancies even within the same brand/model.

Heavyopp

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Really simple to build your own but if you feel you must spend $700 for a sff elitedesk I‘ll sell you mine.

SFF elitedesk, $100 with SSD

purple hd 8 gb <$200

30 minutes of work if your slow and watch videos of how to while you work.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

firemaf96

n3wb
Reaction score
The micro/mini computers have proven to NOT be suitable for running Blue Iris. Due to a variety of reasons.
Two quickies please for you experts:

#1 I have read that using a WD purple surveillance is ideal but I already have a PC with an extra 3GB Samsung 980 SSD NVMe M.2 drive that is not being used whatsoever. From what I've read this isn't ideal since it will fail quicker than the purple HD's but will it work other just fine other than failing sooner? or is there another reason not to use this style of HD?

#2 I've also read where people have asked about using their current PC, adding BI, and running their personal PC 24hrs (or some stated when they go to bed etc etc)
So given that PC's cpu's and gpu's are rarely taxed to the max (mine is an Intel i7-11700K with 32gb ram and EVGA 3090 GPU) can someone provide exact specific reasons why it wouldnt be a good idea to just run my computer 24hrs/day with BI in the background on it's own dedicated harddrive for video storage? I do understand this will put out more heat than a SFF running only BI but since I just use my computer for simple things like youtube, web-browsing, and a few games (which I could move to playing games on my laptop as well) what specifically would be some reasons not to use my PC with my specs/usage given? If I don't mind the additional heat and knowing that my components may have a lower lifespan why wouldn't I just use this?

Again I realllllly want to thank you guys for being so helpful, you guys have been awesome!!

Reaction score
Two quickies please for you experts:

#1 I have read that using a WD purple surveillance is ideal but I already have a PC with an extra 3GB Samsung 980 SSD NVMe M.2 drive that is not being used whatsoever. From what I've read this isn't ideal since it will fail quicker than the purple HD's but will it work other just fine other than failing sooner? or is there another reason not to use this style of HD?

#2 I've also read where people have asked about using their current PC, adding BI, and running their personal PC 24hrs (or some stated when they go to bed etc etc)
So given that PC's cpu's and gpu's are rarely taxed to the max (mine is an Intel i7-11700K with 32gb ram and EVGA 3090 GPU) can someone provide exact specific reasons why it wouldnt be a good idea to just run my computer 24hrs/day with BI in the background on it's own dedicated harddrive for video storage? I do understand this will put out more heat than a SFF running only BI but since I just use my computer for simple things like youtube, web-browsing, and a few games (which I could move to playing games on my laptop as well) what specifically would be some reasons not to use my PC with my specs/usage given? If I don't mind the additional heat and knowing that my components may have a lower lifespan why wouldn't I just use this?

Again I realllllly want to thank you guys for being so helpful, you guys have been awesome!!
I am not an expert but For ques 1 i think its fine to use the current unused ssd for storing security data. I am going to do same with my current hdd until it fails and then i will replace it with surveillance quality hdd.
for ques 2, if you have a computer available, then its fine to use it. I dont think there is an upper limit to the specs.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yep on the SSD if you recognize it may wear out sooner and you don't keep Windows or BI on the drive so that the only thing you lose are videos, go for it.

While your computer may be more than capable, just like we wouldn't check email or surf YouTube on an NVR, that is essentially what using a computer for BI is.

Running other programs also means you open the risk of viruses and updates and things that don't play nice with BI and next thing you know some other program is competing for a common file BI uses and next thing you know BI becomes inoperable and you don't know until something happens and you find out you don't have video.

firemaf96

n3wb
Reaction score
Yep on the SSD if you recognize it may wear out sooner and you don't keep Windows or BI on the drive so that the only thing you lose are videos, go for it.
This is ok by me, since when my SSD dies it'd have to be pretty unlucky timing that I actually need the footage because 99.99% of the time the footage won't be needed. The .01% of time where some incident happens and my SSD died well that's just unlucky.

While your computer may be more than capable, just like we wouldn't check email or surf YouTube on an NVR, that is essentially what using a computer for BI is.
It is actually VERY VERY rare that I check email or watch YT on this PC. I only stated this to give the indication that I use it lightly. I typically use my laptop for these things. My desktop where I'll have BI running I mainly use for work. Have a few low CPU usage software programs I use for work. So for 8ish hours/day I'll be working on this PC.

Running other programs also means you open the risk of viruses and updates and things that don't play nice with BI and next thing you know some other program is competing for a common file BI uses and next thing you know BI becomes inoperable and you don't know until something happens and you find out you don't have video.
Hopefully I don't run into any viruses the way that I use my PC as I said above, but I'll for sure be even more cautious. Thank you for the response!!

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
For reliability purpose's. Its always best to run blue Iris on a computer that is dedicated to ONLY Blue Iris.
You can purchase small form factor Optiplex for $150 for this purpose.