Where to buy a windows key?

ctm

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi everyone, long time lurker, but this is my first post.
I am ringing BI on an old optiplex (i7 gen 2). I just decided to upgrade to a gen 8 i7. I purchased a 3060 SFF from ebay. I knew it had no hdd, but figured I could throw a ssd in and because it was an oem computer the windows key would be tied to the motherboard and I would be set.

Well, thrpugh some bad luck, the 3060 I recieved wasn't factory configured with windows, but Ubunto.
So, I need to buy a windows license.
There are tons of of websites selling keys, and I can find random people repping any of those sites, but I was hoping I could lean on you guys to point me to a site you trust for a functional windows 10 pro key.
Ideally I don't want to pay microsoft prices, but I expect to spend more than the $10 being asked at sites I have never heard of.
Anyone have any suggestions?

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
I've used VIP-SCDKey for years and I've never had a problem. I've bought various Windows licenses as well as Office software and other MS software. As low as the prices are, there is usually a coupon available that can save a few more dollars. They are OEM licenses, but the price is so low that I don't mind replacing the license if/when I need to due to changing out hardware.

looktall

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
the 3060 I recieved wasn't factory configured with windows, but Ubunto.
Dell packages a lot of their optiplex's without windows licenses for businesses looking to save a few dollars.
It's worth confirming on the dell website though that your specific one doesn't have a windows license attached to it.
You may get lucky and the seller just stuck Ubuntu on their out of laziness but i suspect more than likely it doesn't have a windows license.
Enter the service tag on the support website and then go into the "View product specs" and if it came with a windows license it will be listed in there.

Reaction score
I have purchased Win10Pro keys from a UK company, Softkeyworld, and have had no problems in the past. Currently, you can get Win10Pro key for about $20 using the displayed coupon on their home page. Note, this is a Retail key, so it can be removed after install, and moved to a different PC very easily. I have done this without a hitch.