Where should i start to troubleshoot this problem?

tubac

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
This isn't my case. Not saying it isn't tubac's problem though. I replaced a Dahua 5231 with a 5241E and my problem persisted. Completely thought it was the camera. I am leaning towards Looney's advice, that it may be the switch. What is weird is I swapped ports on the back of the switch between the affected camera and another one and the problem was still with the same camera. My next attempt will be to disconnect the unaffected camera and see if it is resolved. If so, then it is a power problem.
I just looked back on my original order. In the questions section the seller does not recommend Poe but rather a 12v dc or 24v ac power block:
Q:Can i just plug into my poe+ switch or need specific 12v adapter? seller response or someone that actually tried poe+ please.
Answer this question

A: Nope, you cannot use PoE+ switch. You have to use either 12V DC or 24V AC.

Q1C1
Seller · 2 years ago

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I just looked back on my original order. In the questions section the seller does not recommend Poe but rather a 12v dc or 24v ac power block:
Q:Can i just plug into my poe+ switch or need specific 12v adapter? seller response or someone that actually tried poe+ please.
Answer this question

Q1C1
Seller · 2 years ago
Not certain what you are saying, but that camera will work just fine with a proper POE Plus switch, don't cheap out on poe+ switches, use something like the Netgear Prosafe models.

tubac

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Not certain what you are saying, but that camera will work just fine with a proper POE Plus switch, don't cheap out on poe+ switches, use something like the Netgear Prosafe models.
Let me try to explain.
If the Poe switch is under powered can I use a 30w Poe injector
and plug it into the Poe switch? Will that work?
In another post, I contacted the Amazon seller and he told me that they don’t recommend using a Poe switch or injector but must use a power supply...
News to me because under other items to enhance the purchase was a Poe switch!

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Let me try to explain.
If the Poe switch is under powered can I use a 30w Poe injector
and plug it into the Poe switch? Will that work?
In another post, I contacted the Amazon seller and he told me that they don’t recommend using a Poe switch or injector but must use a power supply...
News to me because under other items to enhance the purchase was a Poe switch!
1-yes
2- not sure why he would say that, but the proper external power supply would be 24vAC, rated at 3amps, not a 12vdc.
With that power supply, you would need to run cable from that to the camera, using at least 14gauge wire.

FlipNJ

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Answer this question

Q1C1
Seller · 2 years ago
My 5241E is not a PTZ so needing an external power supply isn't the fix. In fact, I have 2 of these and both are powered with a POE+ switch but the one with the issue is attached to another POE+ switch down the line. The downstream switch has 2 cameras attached with only one having an issue. Definitely keeping my mind open though so if I end up with no resolution, I will consider powering it with a wall wart.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is it the one you are using for LPR and only occuring at night? If so, BI I mistaking the all black image as a loss of signal but it isn't. Uncheck the box about monochrome in watchdog and it will go away.

tubac

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Is it the one you are using for LPR and only occuring at night? If so, BI I mistaking the all black image as a loss of signal but it isn't. Uncheck the box about monochrome in watchdog and it will go away.
No it happens in the day too, but at night the periods with outages are longer and more frequent. I am using a Dahua OEM NVR. (I have a Mac and I use Smart PSS.)

tubac

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
No it happens in the day too, but at night the periods with outages are longer and more frequent. I am using a Dahua OEM NVR. (I have a Mac and I use Smart PSS.)
This isn't my case. Not saying it isn't tubac's problem though. I replaced a Dahua 5231 with a 5241E and my problem persisted. Completely thought it was the camera. I am leaning towards Looney's advice, that it may be the switch. What is weird is I swapped ports on the back of the switch between the affected camera and another one and the problem was still with the same camera. My next attempt will be to disconnect the unaffected camera and see if it is resolved. If so, then it is a power problem.
[/Q

I contacted the seller on Amazon and he sent me new firmware for the camera.
He said if it didn’t correct the problem his tech person would call me. I am a bit conflicted because many here have bricked their cams with an “upgrade” What to do?

fb`

n3wb
Reaction score
I contacted the seller on Amazon and he sent me new firmware for the camera. [...]
I am a bit conflicted because many here have bricked their cams with an “upgrade” What to do?
Maybe check seller return policy if their new firmware fails. Dahua PTZ are not easy to brick, no guarantee though. A good unbricking guide is posted on here.

goes offline intermittently [...]
I know the odds are its not the camera so it has to be a problem elsewhere down the line.
Can you describe "goes offline intermittently"? Does it reboot, web UI fail to load, video dropout, etc? Reboot is logged...
Current FW version?

Have a SD49225T-HN with issues since installed in 2019. Netgear PoE+ switch meets power budget. Frequent restarts and sometimes locks up requiring power cycle. Vendor offered return for repair but shipping at my expense 1/3 cost of camera not worth it. Useless to return if firmware bug.

Out of frustration flashed "191105" firmware late 2020. Also enabled Auto Reboot (embarrassing feature in a security device) daily. Seems more stable, but averages 10 random reboots/month (System log "Reboot Mark: Abort") and occasional lock ups. Do not recommend, unreliable. 5-star price and performance, 0-star reliable. Maybe unlucky with a lemon, but suspect firmware.
Now testing "210705" FW...

tubac

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
O no
Maybe check seller return policy if their new firmware fails. Dahua PTZ are not easy to brick, no guarantee though. A good unbricking guide is posted on here.

Can you describe "goes offline intermittently"? Does it reboot, web UI fail to load, video dropout, etc? Reboot is logged...
Current FW version?

Have a SD49225T-HN with issues since installed in 2019. Netgear PoE+ switch meets power budget. Frequent restarts and sometimes locks up requiring power cycle. Vendor offered return for repair but shipping at my expense 1/3 cost of camera not worth it. Useless to return if firmware bug.

Out of frustration flashed "191105" firmware late 2020. Also enabled Auto Reboot (embarrassing feature in a security device) daily. Seems more stable, but averages 10 random reboots/month (System log "Reboot Mark: Abort") and occasional lock ups. Do not recommend,

Current FW version?

Out of frustration flashed "191105" firmware late 2020. Also enabled Auto Reboot (embarrassing feature in a security device) daily. Seems more stable, but averages 10 random reboots/month (System log "Reboot Mark: Abort") and occasional lock ups. Do not recommend, unreliable. 5-star price and performance, 0-star reliable. Maybe unlucky with a lemon, but suspect firmware.
[/Q UOTE]

Here is a screenshot of the camera log. This happens 10-20 times a day.

This is the firmware:
Current FW version?

Current FW version?

Current FW version?

Sure.
From the camera log:

CH 10.jpeg

This happens 10-20 times a day. Some time it is ok for hours then a series of shorter off and on events.

Link to the new firmware given by the seller:

General_SD-Prometheus_MultiLang_NP_Stream3_V2.800.001W000.0.R.200506.bin

Don't know if you have seen it here but there is another newer firmware posted here on ipcamtalk, July 9. I tried to use it but
the cam would not take it and aborted the download.

I am at my wits end with this thing. I have two of these cameras and the other has been running flawlessly.
There is no sudden event to trigger this behavior that I could glean, just out of the blue, and randomly, the
camera just goes down...

jack7

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
O no
I am at my wits end with this thing. I have two of these cameras and the other has been running flawlessly.
There is no sudden event to trigger this behavior that I could glean, just out of the blue, and randomly, the
camera just goes down...
See my previous post here earlier about the SD49225T-HN Frequent Restarts thread. I have experience working remotely with one of those defective cameras. Things tried were new cables, 12V 3A power supply adapter, 30W and 60W poe injectors, etc., with no change.
The mentiond thread has some posts toward the end saying a specified firmware fixed it for one person and bricked it for two others.
We could not afford bricking because it was 24/7 recording in PC-NVR and broadcasting via ipcamlive.com . The subject is a Great Horned Owl nest in a barrel in a tree from January to April. We just put up with the lost time and trouble from restarts about 5-10 times a day occurring at any hour. After the owlets fledge, interest in the camera is gone until the next year. A different cam will probably be used next year. We did still get a lot of good video.

fb`

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes the frequent restart issue with this camera is well discussed on here. Need long-term user updates. Longest reported fix was 30 days. Bricked users did not report unbrick results, TFTP etc. No one has reported fixing the restart issue wiring-wise, PoE(+)/direct power, etc. It's a factory hardware and/or firmware defect that appears isolated to certain units. Possibly due to non-existent QA or worse - rejects sold as new.

Have not flashed Prometheus FW. Seen reports that it flashes OK.
Mine took 2 upgrades without issue and hobbles along for now:
DH_SD-Mao-Rhea_MultiLang_PN_Stream3_IVS_V2.800.0000000.4.R.191105.bin
General_SD-Mao-Rhea_MultiLang_PN_Stream3_IVS_V2.800.0000000.6.R.210705.bin

OP, does the full log history have any "Abort" System messages? Unfair to focus on restarts if you only have a connection issue - which your shared logs show.

To rule out connection issue, consider trying:
1. Dismount your same model working camera and replace it with the faulty one. Use the working wiring. Monitor at least 24h.
2. Test faulty camera indoors with PoE+ switch, 2 connections: PC/LAN and camera. Securely suspend camera by safety clip under ladder, etc. Connect fully tested <50ft solid copper CAT5E/6 cable. Monitor at least 24h.

If that fails, flash new FW if seller agrees to cover it, then repeat steps. Otherwise, return it.

tubac

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
O no

Current FW version?

Out of frustration flashed "191105" firmware late 2020. Also enabled Auto Reboot (embarrassing feature in a security device) daily. Seems more stable, but averages 10 random reboots/month (System log "Reboot Mark: Abort") and occasional lock ups. Do not recommend,

Current FW version?

[/Q UOTE]

Here is a screenshot of the camera log. This happens 10-20 times a day.

This is the firmware:
Current FW version?

Current FW version?

See my previous post here earlier about the SD49225T-HN Frequent Restarts thread. I have experience working remotely with one of those defective cameras. Things tried were new cables, 12V 3A power supply adapter, 30W and 60W poe injectors, etc., with no change.
The mentiond thread has some posts toward the end saying a specified firmware fixed it for one person and bricked it for two others.
We could not afford bricking because it was 24/7 recording in PC-NVR and broadcasting via ipcamlive.com . The subject is a Great Horned Owl nest in a barrel in a tree from January to April. We just put up with the lost time and trouble from restarts about 5-10 times a day occurring at any hour. After the owlets fledge, interest in the camera is gone until the next year. A different cam will probably be used next year. We did still get a lot of good video.
Talk about coincidence! I use this cam and others to record Western screech owls in nest boxes. All the nest boxes are camera equipped and I use this cam to record them outside the boxes! I think we may have crossed paths somewhere earlier online.
I just got off the phone with the Amazon sellers tech person who suggested a 12v wall wart. I tried Poe, poe+ , a 30w injector so far, switched out Ethernet cables, etc. Nothing has worked. I have an identical sd49225t-hn on the same switch with no problems to date.

tubac

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yes the frequent restart issue with this camera is well discussed on here. Need long-term user updates. Longest reported fix was 30 days. Bricked users did not report unbrick results, TFTP etc. No one has reported fixing the restart issue wiring-wise, PoE(+)/direct power, etc. It's a factory hardware and/or firmware defect that appears isolated to certain units. Possibly due to non-existent QA or worse - rejects sold as new.

Have not flashed Prometheus FW. Seen reports that it flashes OK.
Mine took 2 upgrades without issue and hobbles along for now:
DH_SD-Mao-Rhea_MultiLang_PN_Stream3_IVS_V2.800.0000000.4.R.191105.bin
General_SD-Mao-Rhea_MultiLang_PN_Stream3_IVS_V2.800.0000000.6.R.210705.bin

OP, does the full log history have any "Abort" System messages? Unfair to focus on restarts if you only have a connection issue - which your shared logs show.

To rule out connection issue, consider trying:
1. Dismount your same model working camera and replace it with the faulty one. Use the working wiring. Monitor at least 24h.
2. Test faulty camera indoors with PoE+ switch, 2 connections: PC/LAN and camera. Securely suspend camera by safety clip under ladder, etc. Connect fully tested <50ft solid copper CAT5E/6 cable. Monitor at least 24h.

If that fails, flash new FW if seller agrees to cover it, then repeat steps. Otherwise, return it.
Thanks for the suggestions. The log screenshot is from PSS. All the logs state either “network disconnected”. Or, “user logged in”.
I am hoping it might be a connection problem, but with the number of similar issues reported on this camera I am not holding my breath! Hopefully the seller will take the thing back and give me a new one or get this one repaired. We’ll see...

jack7

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
tubac,
If you get a wall wart, try one with output of 12V DC 3A which is specified in your camera Technical Specifications doc . This is the one we used, but did it not help.

We'll have to compare our owl videos someday. :)