Where should i start to troubleshoot this problem?

tubac

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I am trying to track down a problem with a fairly new camera that goes offline intermittently. First I switched ports on the BV-Tech POE switch-no change.

Then I changed the ethernet cable with no success. I added dielectric grease to the poe switch its plugged into which has cut down on the frequency of off line drop outs. But, I still have dropouts.

I know the odds are its not the camera so it has to be a problem elsewhere down the line.

Here are the particulars:

Camera is a Dahua PTZ-https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071NNG1XC?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_dt_b_product_details wired via cat 6 to the BV-Tech switch below.

BV-Tech Poe switch-https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0754P9KLN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The BV-Tech switch is hard wired into a Netgear switch which is some 200 feet of Cat 5e away-https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006RVPW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Netgear switch is hard wired to a Dahua 16 port NVR with built in POE switch-https://www.securitycameraking.com/product/elite-4k-16-channel-h-265-1u-nvr-w-16-ports-poe/

I have eight cameras plugged into the NVR, and five cameras into the BV-Tech Poe switch where the camera in question is plugged into. Sharing that switch is another Dahua PTZ, the same model as the problem camera, and two OEM Dahua PTZ cams-https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XZGQJ8N/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 the Fifth cam is an no name Chinese import. These four cams work as they should.

Where should i start to troubleshoot this problem?

Thanks,

Tubac

Reaction score
If adding dielectric grease reduced the severity, I'd suspect the crimp at that end of the cable is the source of the issue. Can you cut off the cable end and crimp on a new connector?

tubac

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I will give that a try but it is a moulded plug
factory terminated. I did swap cables and had the same result. The cam may stay on for 6 hours or so then unexpectedly drops out. Some times it comes back in minutes and other times I have to unplug then plug it back in to have it come back on.

Thanks for your input.
Tubac

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Unplug the other cameras from that switch, and see if the PTZ stays up.
Just because it's a factory made cable, with molded ends, doesn't' mean much. What gauge wire is the cable? Is the cable Pure Solid copper wire, and not copper clad aluminum?
The wire guage should be at least 24awg, or better 23awg.
The smaller the number, the bigger the wire.

DsineR

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Connect a know good camera into the same cabling as now used for the problem camera.
Monitor for drop outs. Easy way to eliminate the cam vs. infrastructure cabling & hardware.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
And we have seen issues where someone had the exact same camera on either side of their garage essentially looking at the same field of view, and one camera was pulling 3 more watts. The camera needing 3 more watts was putting the POE switch just over its total budget capacity.

DsineR

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Good points! Take the power question out of the equation by using external 12vdc power.
The cam is rated at 22w, POE switch at 30w per port. Assume the other 4 cams connected are also less than 30w each. And this is not a load balancing switch, so nothing greater than 30w per port.

tubac

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Unplug the other cameras from that switch, and see if the PTZ stays up.
Just because it's a factory made cable, with molded ends, doesn't' mean much. What gauge wire is the cable? Is the cable Pure Solid copper wire, and not copper clad aluminum?
The wire guage should be at least 24awg, or better 23awg.
The smaller the number, the bigger the wire.

tubac

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Good points! Take the power question out of the equation by using external 12vdc power.
The cam is rated at 22w, POE switch at 30w per port. Assume the other 4 cams connected are also less than 30w each. And this is not a load balancing switch, so nothing greater than 30w per port.
Thanks I will give this a try!

tubac

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If no joy from @wittaj 's and @DsineR 's suggestions, consider a thermal problem if your location is "15 mins. from Mexico". Does the cam go out more often during the day and less at night or it doesn't seem to matter?
It goes out more when the ir is on. I’d say twice as frequent at night. Perhaps it could be a power problem. I have a 30 watt Poe injector. If all else fails can I plug the injector into the same port on the Poe switch?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
No, plug the camera into the PoE port of the injector and the network port of the injector into the switch.

FlipNJ

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Following. I have the same exact problem. Tried almost everything but apparently not what is needed. Just restarted BI tonight because it has been intermittently taching out my PC CPU. In 3 hours, my affected camera shows 5 no signal. Cable was replaced, tried switching ports on the POE with another camera of the same exact model and this one camera still goes offline intermittently.

tubac

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Following. I have the same exact problem. Tried almost everything but apparently not what is needed. Just restarted BI tonight because it has been intermittently taching out my PC CPU. In 3 hours, my affected camera shows 5 no signal. Cable was replaced, tried switching ports on the POE with another camera of the same exact model and this one camera still goes offline intermittently.
Ii feel your pain..I will try all the suggestions given here and see if a solve is in the offering. Good luck!

FlipNJ

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
tubac,
Your problem sounds similar to one occuring a couple of years ago. Maybe you somehow ended up with one of the bad cameras. See

SD49225T-HN frequent restarts
This isn't my case. Not saying it isn't tubac's problem though. I replaced a Dahua 5231 with a 5241E and my problem persisted. Completely thought it was the camera. I am leaning towards Looney's advice, that it may be the switch. What is weird is I swapped ports on the back of the switch between the affected camera and another one and the problem was still with the same camera. My next attempt will be to disconnect the unaffected camera and see if it is resolved. If so, then it is a power problem.