Where are video alerts after current recording?

EyeseesAll

n3wb
Reaction score
I'd like to locate a motion alert clip from yesterday. However, only the clips highlighted in green are videos (hence the 11 or 26 second indicators). Older alerts are only snapshots. Any thoughts how I can locate and view a motion alert clip from a previous day? I've attached my recording settings in case I'm not recording properly. Thank you.

Attachments

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'd like to locate a motion alert clip from yesterday. However, only the clips highlighted in green are videos (hence the 11 or 26 second indicators). Older alerts are only snapshots. Any thoughts how I can locate and view a motion alert clip from a previous day? I've attached my recording settings in case I'm not recording properly. Thank you.
Try continuous+triggered instead of +alerts.

Broachoski

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Not a solution but if you cut those clips from 8 hours to 1 hour it would be easier to find points of interest if needed.
Also an 8 hour clip limited to 4 GB could be problematic. Also, I record Video (continuous) but not JPEGS as I don't have a need for them.
Other than that, my setup is the same on the record tab.
myrecordtab.JPG

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Not a solution but if you cut those clips from 8 hours to 1 hour it would be easier to find points of interest if needed.
Also an 8 hour clip limited to 4 GB could be problematic. Also, I record Video (continuous) but not JPEGS as I don't have a need for them.
Other than that, my setup is the same on the record tab.
View attachment 195131
Missed that, yep 1hr chunks is better.

Pogo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Being mostly a clips guy, here's my approach...

In this example the 10 second re-trigger allowance period combined with the 300 second ( 5 min.) allowable duration for however many triggers occur basically compiles however many segments are generated into a single segment up to 5 minutes in length..., basically a pre-edited series of events. 5 minutes worth generally works for my purposes.

Trigger-Break.jpg
The recording and storage of the above is managed as shown below to create an actual BVR file of up to 15 minutes long (or 500MB in size) for subsequent viewing / scrubbing. The 'up to' part is key to this approach in eliminating unnecessary continuous recording of nothing while automatically still providing a 'continuous sequence' of any detected activity that may occur during any 10 second trigger window within the 300 second maximum duration allowance.

It could be a single trigger of a bug flying straight at the lens that only lasts 2 seconds, but will still record a 12 second segment (2 second pre-record included) if no other triggers occur within the 10 second trigger window. The next segment could be a raccoon scrounging under the bird feeder in the same FOV for the duration of the allowable 5 minute setting which would result in a 5 minute addition to a possible 15 minute (or 500MB) BVR file. If the raccoon activity exceeded the 5 minute duration limit, a new segment would be immediately triggered and continue documenting the activity for up to another 5 minutes, and so on, resulting in sequential 15 minute long BVR files for as long as the activity persisted.

If nothing at all occurred within 5 minutes of the initial bug segment or within the 15 min / 500MB Combine & Cut setting, the result would simply be a 12 second BVR clip of the bug and that'd be it for that 15 minute period of time. If another bug came by 6 minutes after the first one and triggered another short event within the same 15 minute period, it would simply be added accordingly.

What I find particularly useful about this method is the convenience it provides when using the Clip Viewer for review and scrubbing vs. dickin' through Timeline alerts for stuff, especially if you don't need alerts on every camera for anything except the Timeline index function anyway. The Clips and contained segments are all time stamped for easy sorting and reference by time of night or day and can be accessed accordingly via the Clips window and or clicked through quickly using the main view which is very effective in 'Selected Camera Only' mode.

I currently run 22 cameras. I use alerts on exactly one because I don't want or need them on the other 21. I see the same results with the Clip Viewer and find it much faster and cleaner to use..., at least for my purposes.

I know this is a little long. Maybe it'll come in handy for the OP or someone else down the road. A lot of variations can be derived from the approach, especially for simple motion detection setups.

Combine-Cut.jpg

Last edited: