When you have more money than you do common sense.....

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
When a picture is worth a 1000 Don't do that and That will never work posts...

View attachment 181483
Dang, that Dodge is fairly new and is a dually, should be OK for that 12 ft. cab-over slide-in. I had a 9 ft. on a '75 Ford F-250. Maybe he had something on a class III hitch with lots of tongue weight...or he tried one of the jumps at Baja. :idk:o_O

garycrist

Known around here
Reaction score
Your '75 had a frame with no crush zones. These new ones are designed to fold like an accordion
and shed parts. Warranties are voided on PUs if slide-ins are used printed in small print.
Ford had a big problem with the Raptor off road truck. Frames folded up on the 1st. big bump.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
That's a big camper with a big cantilever and it looks like a big motor bike hanging off the back. Even if it's not overweight (which I'm guessing it probably is), the cantilevered weight of the bike is certainly putting huge stress on the frame.

EDIT - I found some more information about this incident here: Overloaded Ram 3500 Dually Results in Truck Camper Disaster
Turns out it wasn't a motor bike, but bicycles. The total system was definitely over weight however.

Last edited:

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
That's a big camper with a big cantilever and it looks like a big motor bike hanging off the back. Even if it's not overweight (which I'm guessing it probably is), the cantilevered weight of the bike is certainly putting huge stress on the frame.

EDIT - I found some more information about this incident here: Overloaded Ram 3500 Dually Results in Truck Camper Disaster
Turns out it wasn't a motor bike, but bicycles. The total system was definitely over weight however.
Much like the Colorado I posted, I am guessing he was going over some washboard and it made everything worse.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It's too bad you can't walk up to a salesman, tell them your needs and trust their competency in selling you what you need if you layout your exact usage and requirements.

The bottom line is that YOU need to know the facts, what's accurate, what matters and know what you're doing. You surely cannot trust very many other folks completely.

Each month or so I run across another person, usually a lot younger than me, that will make up something rather than tell you "you know, I'm not sure but I can find out for you." I think it's a ego thing....or they like to hear themselves talk. I'm too old to play that game...if I'm not positive about what I'm telling you I won't say it. I have no problem doing so. :cool:

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
It's too bad you can't walk up to a salesman, tell them your needs and trust their competency in selling you what you need if you layout your exact usage and requirements.

The bottom line is that YOU need to know the facts, what's accurate, what matters and know what you're doing. You surely cannot trust very many other folks completely.

Each month or so I run across another person, usually a lot younger than me, that will make up something rather than tell you "you know, I'm not sure but I can find out for you." I think it's a ego thing....or they like to hear themselves talk. I'm too old to play that game...if I'm not positive about what I'm telling you I won't say it. I have no problem doing so. :cool:

If there's anything I can't stand are people who don't know the answer but pretend like they do. If you don't know then just say "I don't know" and I'll thank you then move on.

Photon Farmer

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If there's anything I can't stand are people who don't know the answer but pretend like they do. If you don't know then just say "I don't know" and I'll thank you then move on.

When talking to a sales person type, I first ask question or two that I already know the answer.
If they answer incorrectly, I thank them and move on.
If they answer correctly, then I ask the real question(s).