When is a bracket needed?

foodtech

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
A beginner question. Am getting four IPC-HDW5231R-ZE from Andy for indoor mounting on walls (drywall surface) and one on top of a partial-height wall (plywood surface). Cabling will run over the surface of the wall. Have read the cliff notes, but just wanted to double-check to ensure a complete order.

My impression is that I can attach the cameras directly to the walls without a special mounting bracket.

Dense persons guide to the Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-Z

Are the brackets mostly used when the cables will go in behind the surface being mounted to, to get some stand-off from the mounting surface, or special situations such as pole mounting? Thanks.

Mr_D

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It has a ring with mounting holes which screws to the wall. There's a notch in the ring to allow the cable to go under it along the wall.

foodtech

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks. That's what I gathered. Also looking to future installs and trying to get a handle on when a special bracket would be recommended.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@foodtech, a mounting box or wall bracket with compartment is needed generally is cases where the installer decides to have ONLY the CAT-5e or 6 cable coming out of the wall and the camera's connectors must be protected from sunlight and rain. In other words, the installer is NOT drilling big holes to get the camera's connector(s) and pigtail though and all that is plugged in indoors behind the mounting surface and they are protected from the elements because they are NOT outside.

Most IP camera pigtails and their connectors (such as the RJ-45 female and 12VDC jack and even more connectors with PTZ cams) are thermoplastic and are not meant to have prolonged exposure to direct sunlight and rain.

Examples:
Dahua PFA137
Dahua_PFA137.jpg

and Dahua PFB203
Dahua_PFB203.jpg

Last edited:

Firefighter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Exactly what tony said.

Source: Been professionally installing cctv for a couple years now.