When are you ordering your EV?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
And........GM just slashed the price for their powerfully explosive, 2023 Chevy Bolt EV. Don't worry, they will make up for it when you buy the new EV Silverado at $125k......Maybe the over inflated price will give some assurances that this vehicle won't burn your house down.......:rofl:

One thing's for sure: if I EVER have an EV (doubtful), it'll be parked and/or charging no less than 100 feet from where the house is.
Surely these buses cost more than $125K:

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
But, regular buses catch fire all the time?

I don't get it when people point to a news article about an EV catching fire, as if regular ICE cars don't do that anyway so often it doesn't make the news

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
I been thinking getting an EV one day for work, town use, and grocery run etc. one day. It'll be something plain and small like Chevrolet Bolt. No self-driving gimmick etc.

I'll keep my SUV gas guzzler for kid soccer games, camping, and traveling etc. We tow camper with it and often pull trailer to home improvement store to get stuff for our home.

One other nice thing about EV is less maintenance since there no oil change needed. Even EV with regen braking most likely will be using the same brake pads in its' lifetime. You can have heater run all night long on winter night to keep car nice and toasty ready to go in the morning while it's charging or even have A/C running to keep car cooled in store parking lots etc.

EV batteries catching on fire is true but I doubt that it happens more than gas vehicle catching on fire each day. There is a new battery in development which they are calling it solid state battery which is similar to lithium but suppose to give EV longer mile range than standard lithium and it supposedly not to burn at all if it somehow got punched or damaged.

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
EV batteries catching on fire is true but I doubt that it happens more than gas vehicle catching on fire each day. There is a new battery in development which they are calling it solid state battery which is similar to lithium but suppose to give EV longer mile range than standard lithium and it supposedly not to burn at all if it somehow got punched or damaged.
Even just current LiFePO4 batteries are very safe

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Even just current LiFePO4 batteries are very safe

I been wanting to do a DIY home roof solar and also install battery banks in my home one day so I been doing lot of research on battery type. I probably will hold on battery banks and install the solar first since my city does offer buyback credit so I could just lower my electric bill on credits alone until battery improves and prices goes down.

LiFePO4 is gaining popular for home DIY batteries bank uses and companies are now selling batteries banks that uses LiFePO4 too. I think golf carts are also switching over to LiFePO4.

I might convert my golf cart which have a series motor running at 36V but capable of running 48V over to LiFePO4 battery one day if prices drop which I think will happen if solid state batteries start gaining popularity.

EV, home solars and off grid living is increasing in USA everyday so those are pretty much to stay. Even I heard that one of the state (I am not sure which state) requires to have solar panel installed on every home being built now days. I may have heard it wrong thou. '

Just that it's happening and it's not slowing down at all.

Last edited:

anijet

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Why did you hate the RDX?
I really didn't like the 10 speed transmission. Thought it would be the bees knees but was very clunky in the first 2 gears. Also, had an airbag problem Acura couldn't (or didn't want to) fix. Said my wife didn't weigh enough to trip the pax seat sensor. Manual says a 60# child will trip it.

anijet

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
BTW, I'm not a "Treehugger" (also drive a 3500 diesel dually). I just like tech stuff.
As far as the grid goes more than 66% of the electricity used to charge the car doesn't even hit the grid. I charge when I'm producing excess wattage from solar. It's close to 100% this time of year but not so much on stormy winter days or in July with heavy AC use.

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Fossil fuels still power a vast majority of these EVs. Rather than using low polluting gasoline or clean propane/natural gas directly in cars, coal or natural gas is inefficiently burned in order to heat water and spin turbines, creating the electricity for the magic holes in the wall charging the EVs. There is no free lunch here. Mining lithium is also the worst thing from a green point of view that humans have ever done to the planet.

We are a ways away from renewables as a long term, permanent solution, sorry to say. Lots of people are making a lot of money pushing it, though.

Screenshot_20220602-093118_Chrome.jpg

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
Burning natural gas in a power plant is still an order of magnitude more efficient than directly burning fuel in cars. It also moves the pollution outside of where the majority of people live

So even if we never switched to renewables for power generation, we are still better off

You can also do co-gen with power plants to get even more of that power, can't on a car

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Fossil fuels still power a vast majority of these EVs. Rather than using low polluting gasoline or clean propane/natural gas directly in cars, coal or natural gas is inefficiently burned in order to heat water and spin turbines, creating the electricity for the magic holes in the wall charging the EVs. There is no free lunch here. Mining lithium is also the worst thing from a green point of view that humans have ever done to the planet.

We are a ways away from renewables as a long term, permanent solution, sorry to say. Lots of people are making a lot of money pushing it, though.

View attachment 129630

Coal powered plants are shutting down or converting over to natural gas so soon coal is not going to be the second largest source which will probably be overtake by wind turbines and solar farms (renewable energy) and natural gas will be increasing very rapidly in the next few years since many coal powered plant are converting over to it.

Our town electric plant just closed and torn down one coal plant and converted the second newer one from coal to natural gas after Trump lost second term since everyone are pretty sure coal mining is going to be near non-existence one day in future.

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Yes natural gas would be a great primary fuel source long term since it's so abundant. Let's hope the bureaucrats realize this and stop trying to kill fossil fuels and fracking. Renewables will never take the lead in our lifetime.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes natural gas would be a great primary fuel source long term since it's so abundant. Let's hope the bureaucrats realize this and stop trying to kill fossil fuels and fracking. Renewables will never take the lead in our lifetime.
I agree with you that renewables will never take lead but I still think it will lead over coals thou.

garycrist

Known around here
Reaction score

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Wind and solar are far too variable to become reliable sources of power. Throw in the immense sizes that battery banks need to be to make up for when the wind doesn't blow and the sun isn't shining and it's a very questionable source for reducing "global warming"/carbon output and pollution. Commiefornia is where you have to have solar panels on every new house.

At the rate Brandon is slowing/stopping drilling, fracking, pipeline and refining natural gas and oil won't be around in enough quantity to power the grid as it stands now, let alone if the grid is built out enough to handle the additional load of EVs. Let's not forget in NYC that heating and cooking with natural gas or oil, including #6 or bunker oil, is no longer permitted. I have to wonder what happens when that load hits the grid and if any of the woke politicians involved in this even contacted Con Ed or thought about grid loading in the first place in their blind zeal to "save the planet".

The bottom line is that IF the US were to stop all carbon based fuel use the effect on the worldwide climate would be negligible, probably on the order of 0.01C temperature difference over 100 years. Of course, offloading carbon production and pollution to other countries in the world to accomplish that in the first place hasn't been included in those numbers.

Face it, "green energy" is as dirty as carbon based energy with a much higher initial cost and just as much pollution of the environment if not more.

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
Not me! I liked the pic someone here posted about the "shade tree" we worked under
on each other's cars. I still have the tools after "wrenching" since '68.

It is amazing the bolt-on equipment (we had to build ourselves) right off the shelf.
So why buy when one may DIY! So I just ordered humanities energy problem solver.

Impressive. It would look more impressive if there was a couple of pieces of 1111 DLO cable coming out the side of it....

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
Another hidden expense, both monetary and environmental for EVs. Note the article also mentions the extreme environmental costs of mining cobalt and lithium for the batteries.

"Though the author concedes that it was partly his fault for not rotating the tires as recommended "

These anti EV articles really like to clutch at straws. $100 says he launched it at every opportunity too. Hell, the Pilot Spot AS3+'s on my wifes Escape only lasted 30,000 miles due to driving style, and those were rotated every 6000 miles