Whelp... it finally happened to me

mrvelous01

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Maybe a Phased Plasma Rifle in the 40 watt range? Sorry to say that people just suck. Why is it that we need to bolt our doors, put up cameras, and carry guns, just because people can't be decent and leave other peoples stuff alone? Don't get me wrong, I do all of the above, (except for messing with other peoples stuff) but I was raised to respect other people and their stuff...

We had a door checker come by a year or two ago but they're getting smarter. Hats, hoodies, keeping their heads down, parking out of range, etc. Except for the idiot that parked at the bottom my my driveway and left his Grand Cherokee running while he ripped off my neighbors unlocked car. The video at least confirmed what he was driving and gave the cops a place to start, and they did get him. I think it would be great to have a camera flash wired to my car door handle that went off as soon as they tried it. Blind them then scare the hell out of them.

The only real luck I've had with cameras were inside my home during the day while my cleaning lady's assistant "dusted" a few of my dog's post surgery medication bottles. Then she swiped the bottle, took it to another room, read the description, took a few, put a few in her undershorts, then put them back. All in direct view of two separate cameras.

I just happened to tune in to the home cams a few minutes before that (alarm system notification of entry) and was watching. I called the cleaning lady, a woman whose family I've known for 20 years and told her what I saw. She had such a kind heart for thieves and losers she couldn't believe it but she dressed the girl down. Didn't find the drugs, still didn't believe me. I copied the video out of Blueiris, posted it on a website, and let her view it herself on her home computer. She fired the girl. Videos are still on my website (along with a 10 cop car police chase that stopped at the foot of my driveway) . Website is mrvelous1.com. Look for misc_videos. I'm a crappy web designer but it suits my needs.

Sorry for the rant.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry to say that people just suck. Why is it that we need to bolt our doors, put up cameras, and carry guns, just because people can't be decent and leave other peoples stuff alone? Don't get me wrong, I do all of the above, (except for messing with other peoples stuff) but I was raised to respect other people and their stuff...
Because of Democratic party's programs and failure to prosecute with the laws we already have.
Good for you catching the thief.

chabon

n3wb
Reaction score
I’ve found 12 gauge tripwire perimeter alarms are quite effective. I used one on my motorcycle when it was parked in a unfamiliar area. I think whoever moved my motorcycle and triggered it must’ve pissed their pants as all I saw was a wet spot on the ground next to bike. And oddly enough they seem to be legal in California.

Reaction score
I’ve found 12 gauge tripwire perimeter alarms are quite effective. I used one on my motorcycle when it was parked in a unfamiliar area. I think whoever moved my motorcycle and triggered it must’ve pissed their pants as all I saw was a wet spot on the ground next to bike. And oddly enough they seem to be legal in California.

I will have a total of 3 Bosch outdoor PIR's laid out (2 in front and 1 in backyard). Eventually, will have my DSC home alarm system integrated with my Home Assistant home automation, which will in turn talk to my WiFi 8 zone sprinkler system to do some water surprises (along with turning on my smart tv and swapping over to the Blue Iris HDMI source so I can post the fun here)

mrvelous01

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So without getting too far off in the fields, we are talking about cameras AND cars, but have you guys given any thought to cameras IN cars? I recently bought a new car and have been doing a lot of reading about dashcams. My primary reason is for any encounters with the local cops. It's a Charger, it's red, and I am tinting the windows. My friend is a local cop and she said I was going to be their favorite target for quite a while. That having been said, I saw some dashcams that rotated so that you could swivel the camera to the side view if I wanted to record me begging the cop to not ticket me. I was giving this some further thought and wondered if I could turn it to face the drivers door at night (in the driveway) as many of these cameras were also sensitive to bumping the car and could also upload images. That might get me a picture of a face that my house mounted cams couldn't.

Has anyone had any experience with using in car "dashcams" for recording theft attempts?

Reaction score
I gots a dashcam for my work vehicle. Nexar or something (I did post about it here on IPCT forums...dashcam forum maybe? :)
No complaints. Its stores all vid to my smartphone and uploads to the cloud when in a secured WiFi place. Any vehicle vibration when idle, it records. Not shabby. I assume all dashcams are about the same.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience with using in car "dashcams" for recording theft attempts?
There's a thread on a new security system from ring that does exactly that - record the interior whilst you're away (and save video to the cloud?).

There are also dashcams that record both out and in. Use parking mode on these and they will serve a similar purpose minus the alert.

LittleBrother

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So without getting too far off in the fields, we are talking about cameras AND cars, but have you guys given any thought to cameras IN cars? I recently bought a new car and have been doing a lot of reading about dashcams. My primary reason is for any encounters with the local cops. It's a Charger, it's red, and I am tinting the windows. My friend is a local cop and she said I was going to be their favorite target for quite a while. That having been said, I saw some dashcams that rotated so that you could swivel the camera to the side view if I wanted to record me begging the cop to not ticket me. I was giving this some further thought and wondered if I could turn it to face the drivers door at night (in the driveway) as many of these cameras were also sensitive to bumping the car and could also upload images. That might get me a picture of a face that my house mounted cams couldn't.

First, I liked your vids of the person being caught for drugs and the cop chase.

Second, I am evangelical about my support of dash cams and have been for years. They are a must have accessory for any car. A $50 jobby from amazon will be fine. The oldest one I have is a taotronics thing I got for about $90 on amazon probably 6 years ago. Still works perfectly. its battery is shot of course, but that's irrelevant.

I've not thought of one in you use case, though. With everybody wearing masks now I am not sure what you'd get for a face these days. Also any system that requires a regular fiddling around--like turning a camera--I suspect you'd fast tire of maintaining.

mrvelous01

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I did some googling last night and found two interesting prospects. One is OWL, though it appears that they went out of business recently then were resurrected. The jury is still out on their new ownership so that one is sort of on hold. The other one is RAVEN. I'm not sure about this one since it is pretty large and does sort of scream "camera!", though it does have both front and rear. I do like the idea of active notifications and LTE. Does anyone have any experience with it? And until LittleBrother mentioned it I had not even thought of masks! Oh well, they are criminals so that should be standard wear, right? I think Fenderman mentioned that there was a forum for car cams so I'll switch over to posting and searching there. Thanks all.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
First, I liked your vids of the person being caught for drugs and the cop chase.

Second, I am evangelical about my support of dash cams and have been for years. They are a must have accessory for any car. A $50 jobby from amazon will be fine. The oldest one I have is a taotronics thing I got for about $90 on amazon probably 6 years ago. Still works perfectly. its battery is shot of course, but that's irrelevant.

I've not thought of one in you use case, though. With everybody wearing masks now I am not sure what you'd get for a face these days. Also any system that requires a regular fiddling around--like turning a camera--I suspect you'd fast tire of maintaining.
You really want a dual headed camera for the interior, or 2 dash cameras. The issue with turning the dashcam around is you capture the interior but then miss anone running into your car when parked. Unless you live in the Bronx, I'm guessing the chances of getting bumped re probably higher than the chance of getting broken into. EVen then, with the latter, you have to hope they don't steal the cams! Never heard of it, but there's always a 1st time.

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
The biggest problem with dash cams is the battery. Only buy one with a capacitor and hopefully it'll fair better. Even hooked up to power, once the battery is shot it can't stay on long enough after you turn the car off to save the current recording and it gets corrupted. A year or two and it's time for a new battery (not worth it) or a new dashcam. My next one will be with a capacitor and I'll see how long it lasts but I don't have much faith it'll do much better.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
A Capacitor powered camera and power bank is probably the safest way to power it when parked - safest in the sense of not running your battery down, not physical safety. There are cables with controllers that detect low voltage and switch the supply from the car's battery off when the voltage drops too low so as to ensure the cars still starts. However, I have heard of these being hit and miss when it comes protecting the battery in a startable state. At least with a powerbank, if it goes flat, the only penalty is you have to charge it at home. Run your car battery down and it's time to call a breakdown service.

AP514

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
Good idea! Just swap all your cars out for Teslas and turn on Sentry Mode!
LOL speaking of which before the tesla pushed out the dash cam feature back in 2018 I was thinking to install BlackVue for Dash cam on my Tesla.

I think they were the best at the time. But than offcourse via software update I had the dash cam and now even the sentry mode which is improving with updates..Anyhow You might wanna check out BlackVue and see how they compare. They are a bit expensive though :)

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Yep you could do that as well but do you really want the hassle? I use a powerbank and personally I find it easy. The hardest part is remembering to take it out to the car when leaving the house. Tip here, leave it with the other things you're taking next day.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.