Whats this called and how to fix? Dahua SD22404T-GN

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
Likely will be one inside the cam already.

Edit to add: Shown in this image. Usually is one in the Dahua cams I've opened but I've not one of these. Whether there's actually one there or not in a given camera... :idk:

Welp, I got one on my desk right in front of me. Let me just crack it open and we shall see.......

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
Yep, It has a moisture absorbing pac inside of it.

View attachment 133679
But.........before I put the dome back on, I am looking through it and I am noticing a thin hazy film of something on the outside of it (or maybe inside). Almost like the adhesive protective film that came on it left some type of residue when it was removed. I am going to polish both the inside and outside and see if I can clean it up.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
But.........before I put the dome back on, I am looking through it and I am noticing a thin hazy film of something on the outside of it (or maybe inside). Almost like the adhesive protective film that came on it left some type of residue when it was removed. I am going to polish both the inside and outside and see if I can clean it up.
Don't go crazy in case its the blue filter like you see for anti glare . . .

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
Well, cleaning it with a non-scratch cloth didn't do much for the reflections at low light I am seeing, but it did buff the hazy film I was seeing off. This camera just doesn't seem to play well with lower illumination settings or if there is a light source towards the front of the camera.

Desk 16-07-2022 18-31-42.jpg

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You can see the seal isn't very large for a PTZ dome camera - too large and it will either roll over on itself and block the image or it won't move and the motor burns out, so the seal is too tight of a tolerance and lets light in.

With it being indoor, how does the image look if you do not put the dome on?

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
If you take just pure water from a bottle and wipe a none FOV area. Do you see any rainbow colors inside of the dome when you look through it and looking at the light??

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
I played with the settings a bit, since they were factory default. It's a little better. I'll try it again, but without the dome cover on and we will see how that looks.

20220716_134720.png

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
As far as illumination, the area I have the camera pointed to on the upper wall would probably be equal to a few minutes before dusk, as I have no inside illumination turned on in the man cave. I agree Teken, it still looks like shit. It just re-inforces what the old saying is: You get what you pay for. These cameras were cheap. I bought a few from Andy as they were refurbed and bought them just to play with, not so much for quality. I knew they wouldn't match the quality of my other cameras going into it.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Both are much better. More light helps that one a lot. Once you get it where you want it probably can dial it in a little better. No sense in putting much time into it until then.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
I agree with @Mike A. the expectation has been set so just enjoy what it can do within its limitations. :thumb: That's always going to be the problem is when you have reference and the standard is set so high. Everything else is compared to that known standard and you either live with it or you don't.

I was a little surprised to learn this camera has no IR??

Does the unit incorporate a IR filter though?

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
The last one with the cover back on shows the polycarbonate from the dome kind of washes the colors out a bit and I can see the artifacts where the reflection from the lens is bouncing off the inside of the dome. It is what it is. This camera does fairly decent for indoor use, where rooms are evenly lit and there isn't a outdoor light source in the general direction of where the lens is pointing to that can cause light reflections.

Were they worth $65 a piece? Sure. Anything that keeps me amused and learning is worth that. Would I use them to monitor the outside of my house in a high crime area? Nope.

Teken, No, this model of camera has no IR illumination and it has no IR filter.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
The last one with the cover back on shows the polycarbonate from the dome kind of washes the colors out a bit and I can see the artifacts where the reflection from the lens is bouncing off the inside of the dome. It is what it is. This camera does fairly decent for indoor use, where rooms are evenly lit and there isn't a outdoor light source in the general direction of where the lens is pointing to that can cause light reflections.

Were they worth $65 a piece? Sure. Anything that keeps me amused and learning is worth that. Would I use them to monitor the outside of my house in a high crime area? Nope.

Teken, No, this model of camera has no IR illumination and it has no IR filter.
For $65.XX you simply can't complain as its a good backup to an existing system.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Attached a pic. Not sure if this is called blurred or halo or ? Its a general fuzzy picture day and night. Great camera and only a few months old. I just put it at this location recently but the camera seems to be 'fuzzy' regardless of outdoor lighting. The dome is clean too.
This camera appears to have some sort of haze to it. Note this is a 4-5 year old design with a 1/3 4mp sensor and will generally produce a subpar night image by modern standards.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This is simply one of the inherent problems with Domes, if you aren't careful with install placement, and you get light hitting the dome just right, it cause's a haze, relfections, etc. In the ops picture, that could be moisture that accumulated on the outside of the dome during the night. All the glare from the car lot isn't helping.
There is no "foam seal" in this camera, there can't be due to its design.

It does have an IR cut filter, so external IR properly placed would work. You would just need to be careful due to dome glare from the IR.

Still a decent little cam for the right environment.

Kurtis500

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
This camera appears to have some sort of haze to it. Note this is a 4-5 year old design with a 1/3 4mp sensor and will generally produce a subpar night image by modern standards.
This is simply one of the inherent problems with Domes, if you aren't careful with install placement, and you get light hitting the dome just right, it cause's a haze, relfections, etc. In the ops picture, that could be moisture that accumulated on the outside of the dome during the night. All the glare from the car lot isn't helping.
There is no "foam seal" in this camera, there can't be due to its design.

It does have an IR cut filter, so external IR properly placed would work. You would just need to be careful due to dome glare from the IR.

Still a decent little cam for the right environment.
Right... Im looking at putting a bullet back up there or a turret. I have another spot this PTZ can go. I just ordered and installed this one:
Think that will do or another? I've been trying to get a good clear picture on the entire area. Originally had a Hikvision bullet but it went out after years in the AZ sun.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.