What's LESS work for the camera? LOW bit rate? Or higher?

TrumanHW

n3wb
Reaction score
I understand that the image processor will work harder to capture all available photons rather than to pump the gain.... BUT, the H.265 codec will work hardest when it is shrinking the data the most in my humble (truly) assumption, no?

Meaning... while the highest VBR will be the greatest demand on your wired network, switch, and NVR - it would seem to be the least work for your CODEC.

Origin of logic?

Transcode a raw video capture using handbrake to the smallest file possible:
Measure duration of time.

Transcode a raw video capture using handbrake to the MOST SIMILAR output to the source:
Measure duration of time.

Look at your
• CPU histogram
• Average temp of CPU/GPU
• Time x increased temperature

Test parameters (off the top of my head)
• Same video for both tests
• Same computer for both tests
• Same program (handbrake/Avid Media Encoder/etc.) for both tests

I grant, that this will consume more bandwidth of your network... but a 52GB cisco switch will hold up fine for 16 4k cameras at 20000kb/s... this is, of course (crudely, not dividing by 1024, etc) 20Mb/s, which is 1/50th of a single CABLE'S bandwidth...

Your NAS has multiple GigE inputs.
Most cameras MAX at 10000kb/s (aka, ~10Mb/s)
1000Mb/s divided by 10Mb/s = 100 (assuming theoretical performance, which is fallacious obviously)

Obviously, my 16 camera system, or whatever it winds up being, will FAR underwhelm my network, which is DEDICATED to my NVS

However, the CPU they use is probably not very powerful...
which has already been what I've isolated for lag.

This is WHY my expensive Samsung SNB-9000N has MUCH less lag than any of my other cheap stuff.

Of the experts and those who've experimented and believe in EMPIRICAL evidence
...who do TROUBLESHOOTING for a living -- do you agree with this logic? Or is it wrong for another reason which I've either failed to consider, or due to a variable which I fail to grasp?