What would cause the main stream in BI to lag the substream and cam's live view by a couple of minutes?

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
This issue seems to come and go for me... At times video from the main stream of my 4K-X will lag by a full minute or two from that shown vs the substream and the cams' live view. Eventually it will 'jump' and catch up but being behind can go on for quite a while. As I watch it now, it's ~2:30 minutes behind. I've also seen the same on a 5842T-ZE but at the moment that one's right on time. So seems specific to a given cam at a given time. Doesn't happen all the time, usually both cams are fine. Just a once in a while thing. I'll notice it now and then when I see something happening in the multi-cam view (using the substream), click on the cam, and it's not yet showing as having happened. Can then watch it run behind real time. Haven't noticed the same on any other of my cams. Those two are the only 4K.

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Have you tried a higher MB buffer in BI for those two cams?

Are they all on same switch or are they on a different one or going thru the router?

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
I have buffer set to 20 on both.

They're on different switches. Both gigabit POE+. Switch utilization is at pretty much an insignificant percentage for both. I saw the same behavior using another switch that I replaced for other reasons. Nothing runs through my router. PfSense on its own box plugged into my 'backbone' switch, main POE switch with most cams plugs into that. 5842T runs over a P2P link and then to a small separate gigabit switch. If it were restricted to that cam I could better understand why I might have a delay but seems unrelated. As I said, that one's running fine at the moment.

So I have the same issue on two different 4K cams connected via two pretty much separate physical networks. Nothing else is delayed, just whichever of those two cams at a given time and only the main stream as BI sees it. Main stream viewed from the cam is fine. Substream in BI is fine.

ETA: Cam is back on time again now. When it comes back it seems to be immediate. i.e., It doesn't gradually catch up, it jumps to the correct time.

Last edited: