What POE Switch Do you use? Looking for Advice.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
How long can a battery backup run?
Aps/cyberpower type backups can only go like 5 (800W) to-maybe 180 min (50 W draw) depending on load...or are you talking banks of custom car batteries type of backups?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
How long can a battery backup run?
Aps/cyberpower type backups can only go like 5 (800W) to-maybe 180 min (50 W draw) depending on load...or are you talking banks of custom car batteries type of backups?

Even if there was zero impact on the battery life the cost alone to run these old switches is astronomical. 100w x24/7 at .20 cents a kwh = 175 per year in perpetuity...you can buy a new switch for that kind of money....

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Wow...I'll have to check the actual listed wattage on the ones I was looking at above.
Are you talking idle wattage?
I assume whatever wattage your cams actually need would be the same pull on any switch.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Wow...I'll have to check the actual listed wattage on the ones I was looking at above.
Are you talking idle wattage?
I assume whatever wattage your cams actually need would be the same pull on any switch.

Yes hes talking about idle wattage...they usually dont list it...you will need to put the switch on a killawatt meter.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I thought 20 vents per kWh sounded high...here, (Missouri) my current rate is about 12.2 cents per kWh summer and 8.58 cents per in winter..drops to 5.7 after 750kWh.. so I guess I should not be complaining. ..but still very good point wasted cost and electricity use in general is best mitigated when possible.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I thought 20 vents per kWh sounded high...here, (Missouri) my current rate is about 12.2 cents per kWh summer and 8.58 cents per in winter..drops to 5.7 after 750kWh.. so I guess I should not be complaining. ..but still very good point wasted cost and electricity use in general is best mitigated when possible.

You are still paying 100 per year in perpetuity at your rates...make sure that rate includes delivery ..also dont forget to factor taxes..
Its strange that they lower the rate when you go over 750..generally there is a progressive increase to taper usage...must be some legislation requiring that lower rate..

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
depends on how big of a trunk switch you need.. I needed 48 ports, and for a 48port poe switch I was looking at a sizable chunk of change.. a 48 port trunk switch with a 24 port PoE+ midspan covers my needs and I managed to accomplish it for ~$160 out the door.. it let me pick whatever switch I wanted instead of being forced to use some old power sucking dinosaur that sounds like a jet.
But when you can have a 24 port switch with gigabit and fiber uplinks ... or a 24 port PoE injector ... for similar price and noise levels, then why not get the switch?

Edit: sorry, didn't notice the second page here, where power consumption is discussed. I have no idea what my netgear switch pulls at idle.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
but I need 48 GigE ports and I need half of them to be PoE capable.. and managed.

Brad_C

Banned
Reaction score
I'm using a TP-Link TL-SG2210P. 8 Port PoE with 2 SFP (one of which I have a 1000Base-T uplink in). Nice little managed switch. Fanless, draws bugger all.

For testing I use an old Cisco 3550 with 24 PoE ports, but that is neither little nor fanless. I also have one of those generic 4+4 TL-SF1008P dumb 8 port (4 PoE) switches, but the SG2210P was only an extra $20, gives me 8 PoE ports and management to boot plus it's Gigabit on all ports.

I like managed switches because when these Hikvision cameras inevitably lock up every 4 months or so, I can power-cycle them from the web interface on the switch. One day I'll get around to automating that.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I like managed switches because when these Hikvision cameras inevitably lock up every 4 months or so, I can power-cycle them from the web interface on the switch. One day I'll get around to automating that.
There is something wrong with your hardware or firmware if your cams lockup every 4 months.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
...The thing you need to be aware of with the really large PoE switches is that they are ... large ... and they have amazingly noisy fans in them. If you are putting this anywhere that continuous noise would be a problem, don't use a large switch.
Thought I'd look up one of the switches I'm listed from the initial post, the Extreme Networks X450E-24P 24 port POE switch as an example.
Their spec sheet states, "Sound Power: 62 dBA per ISO 7779"
No idea what "per ISO 7779" refers to there....may be key, not sure.
Also "Bystander Sound Pressure: 54 dBA right side @ .6m"

Lookng at some noise level comparison charts shows 50 dba = "Quiet suburb, conversation at home" and 60 dba = "Conversation in restaurant, office, background music, Air conditioning unit at 100 feet."

That does not sound too bad considering it will be in the basement.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thought I'd look up one of the switches I'm listed from the initial post, the Extreme Networks X450E-24P 24 port POE switch as an example.
Their spec sheet states, "Sound Power: 62 dBA per ISO 7779"
No idea what "per ISO 7779" refers to there....may be key, not sure.
Also "Bystander Sound Pressure: 54 dBA right side @ .6m"

Lookng at some noise level comparison charts shows 50 dba = "Quiet suburb, conversation at home" and 60 dba = "Conversation in restaurant, office, background music, Air conditioning unit at 100 feet."

That does not sound too bad considering it will be in the basement.

That will be loud an annoying if you spend any time near the switch...

Brad_C

Banned
Reaction score
There is something wrong with your hardware or firmware if your cams lockup every 4 months.
Yes there is. Yet another firmware oddity Hikvision are unable to figure out. Only happens when using the cameras on a VMS with the ONVIF protocol. On a Hik nvr or using rtsp only they don't lock up.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Any reason I would NEED gigabit speed on the individual ports other than for connection (is that called the "uplink?) from the switch to the computer?
I mean the cameras would not use near or more than 100, right? So would there be any benefit somehow anyway?
The big 450e switch I mentioned is all GigE POE ports but there are a lot of others that are just 10/100 POE with GigE uplink I see for sale.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
WiFi, PoE Access points are way more effective when you can install them on the wall or in the middle of the celling... and 5Ghz AC Wireless can easily exceed 100Mbit, I tested my phone yesterday and it got >400Mbit on the LAN.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm considering the Extreme Networks X450E -24p or their 48p which have all 24 or 48 GigE poe ports and I thing 4 GigE uplin ks.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Any reason I would NEED gigabit speed on the individual ports other than for connection (is that called the "uplink?) from the switch to the computer?
I mean the cameras would not use near or more than 100, right? So would there be any benefit somehow anyway?
The big 450e switch I mentioned is all GigE POE ports but there are a lot of others that are just 10/100 POE with GigE uplink I see for sale.

Not sure why my last post got split into two posts (via the tapatalk app)...
Any thoughts on this?
Is a switch with GigE on all ports overkill for my planned uses?

Thx

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
is overkill bad? I guess im the wrong person to ask as I am the king of overkill mountain.. but if you want it, get it.. you can never plan for everything, and its better to have it and not need it heh.