What options do I have ??

stevep

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi guys, I have 10 cameras plugged directly into a Dahua nvr5216-16p-4ks2e that’s currently in my lounge !!! The noise of the fan is annoying so I am going to move it to our outhouse…. What options do I have ??? Connect all 10 Ethernet cable’s into nvr, can I connect 8 of them directly due to being easy to run to new position and the two remaining ones and maybe a couple more new cams to a switch in a room on the other side of our property ( this room has my router in) and run one cable to my outhouse ? and if so what joins these up and can you run 4 into 1 into a Poe nvr ? Hope this makes sense and thanks in advance for any help

steve

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I have a couple of locations like that.

I would run the 8 cameras direct to the NVR, connect the others to the switch with the switch being connected to the router. Then run a single line from the switch to the NVR ethernet port. (Not one of the PoE ports)

This allows the switch to issue IPs to the extra cameras as well as the NVR. The NVR can “see” the cameras on the switch as they will be in the same network and all traffic for those cameras will go through the switch.

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Steve, I’ll bring to your attention a chat I just had with one of our more experienced users so that you can have a broader perspective.

@TonyR mentioned this method:
Wouldn't the cams plugged into the NVR be on a different subnet than the cams on the switch (NVR issues IP's to its POE ported cams and router assigning IP's to those extra cams plugged into the switch) ?

Would this work and possibly be better?
I would run the 8 cameras direct to the NVR, connect the other cams to the POE switch then run a single line from the POE switch to a NVR POE port.
This allows the NVR and not the router to issue IPs to the extra cameras as well as the NVR's cameras.
Keep the NVR's LAN connected to the router and no camera traffic will go through the router.

My reply:
Hey Tony, Yes they are, but the NVR can see both.

I’ve seen different takes on whether/how well using a single PoE port to power multiple cameras works. I’m pretty certain 3-4 is max. at most. Also the NVR assigns an IP to the port, and while it apparently can pass more than one, I’ve seen and read IP conflicts doing this particularly as one plugs/unplugs cams for various reasons.

so yes, you’re right and may have more experience than I doing it so, im just confident the way I explained works without incident . I suppose I need to thoroughly test that method more.

Soooo
You may want to try using an NVR PoE port as @TonyR suggests. If it works it would indeed be a more elegant solution.

stevep

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Many thanks to you both for helping I will be moving them next week so will try the more elegant solution first but ultimately want the more robust solution!!! Will more likely be back on sometime next week seeking more excellent help from you all cheers again

Steve

stevep

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks Looney2ns have heard it can be done but I am not the best with internal electrical stuff is it plug in or soldering!!