What lens focal length would you choose for this scenario?

freshes

n3wb
Reaction score
Trying to cover the two sliding doors as best I can from this point (marked in green) -

IP cam lens size.jpg

RBW

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What is the purpose of the camera? Detect, observe, identify or recognize?

What resolution camera do you have?

What resolution are you going to record at?

"What lens do i need" is not a straightforward i'm afraid.

freshes

n3wb
Reaction score
I know the placement is not ideal for identifying - but I'm trying to choose the best lens for doing so given the position.

I'm thinking of using a 3MP Hikvision turret cam.

Of course a wide angle lens would capture everything, but with very low detail (especially the more distant sliding door) - so I guess I'd just like a rough idea of what size lens would give me the best detail whilst still covering the two doors....

RBW

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I know the placement is not ideal for identifying - but I'm trying to choose the best lens for doing so given the position.

I'm thinking of using a 3MP Hikvision turret cam.

Of course a wide angle lens would capture everything, but with very low detail (especially the more distant sliding door) - so I guess I'd just like a rough idea of what size lens would give me the best detail whilst still covering the two doors....
Daylight or darkness hours?
Are you using additional lighting or relying on the camera's ir's?

It is a nightmare if you start to think in detail. I would go for a 4mm lens and hope for the best mate.

RBW

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
4mm lens should be fine to recognize at 10m.

Attachments

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
You've got a straight shot at both doors from that angle. The question is more along the lines of how far out from the first door do you need to record? 2.8 would be good on angle but lousy for ID. 6mm would be best for ID at the second door but limit how from out from the house you'd get coverage, particularly in front of the first door. Best coverage would be two cams, either 3.6-4 mm or 6mm and possibly mount them both between the two doors and angled away from each other. You'd have a significant blind corridor in the middle with 6mm lenses doing it that way though. You could mount them to the outside of each door and cross the coverage towards the middle as well and that would cover traffic approaching from between the two doors much better.

freshes

n3wb
Reaction score
Okay I'm starting to see the difficulty of my question

Sounds like 4mm will likely have the best chance of doing what I want, so I might just get one of those and hope for the best..

Thanks ever so much for the thoughts every one!!