What kind of camera post is this @ Playboy Mansion?

Frangeech

n3wb
Reaction score
What kind of camera post is this at the Playboy Mansion? I'm looking for similar mounting solutions to deploy around a property, do you know where I can find something like this? Everything I come across is the traditional square aluminum pole very industrial looking.

Screenshot 2022-09-22 122029.jpg

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
To me that looks like pieces of plumbing pipe. You can see the "ells" where it bends. I have no idea what the bell or dome is from though, although it probably is the upper housing of the camera itself. The big trick is adapting US sizes to metric sizes to get the pipe to fit the camera housing/mount. I guess you could re-thread either the pipe or the camera to get that accomplished.

Last edited:

Frangeech

n3wb
Reaction score
To me that looks like pieces of plumbing pipe. You can see the "ells" where it bends. I have no idea what the bell or dome is from though, although it probably is the upper housing of the camera itself. The big trick is adapting US sizes to metric sizes to get the pipe to fit the camera housing/mount. I guess you could re-thread either the pipe or the camera to get that accomplished.
I was thinking plumbing pieces as well based.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
NOTE: This below is from a post I made in another thread last year for a different purpose but the idea is similar, allow for mounting from the top as in your post. Also, you would likely want to size up from 1/2"; condulets and conduit fittings are available in several larger sizes (3/4", 1", 1-1/2", 2", etc.)
++++++++++

How about a 1/2" pulling elbow near the cam, connected with a short, galvanized steel 1/2" rigid nipple threaded into the rear of the junction box on the back of the cam, then another galvanized steel 1/2" rigid piece from the the other end of the elbow to the floor flange which is bolted to the horizontal surface?

These below are U.S.- based stores but you can find at hardware stores in your area I'm sure.

Halex 1/2-in Aluminum Pull Elbow Conduit Fittings

half-inch-pull-elbow.jpg

Mueller Proline 1/2-in dia Galvanized Floor Flange

half-inch-floor-flange.jpg

Last edited:

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
Just a reminder, these cameras can be mounted in just about any orientation. A "cleaner" looking install would be to use the correct size Dahua junction box and run your conduit into it (it will screw into the holes with the right adapters). If the box is mounted vertically on a wall, the camera can still be mounted to the box and the camera ball adjusted to provide a regular view without any software shenanigans required to make it look right.

As far as the OPs question, I agree that it looks like a homemade mount made up of various pipe/conduit fittings. It's both impressive and laughable at the same time. :idk:

Mast3r0fN0n3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just a reminder, these cameras can be mounted in just about any orientation. A "cleaner" looking install would be to use the correct size Dahua junction box and run your conduit into it (it will screw into the holes with the right adapters). If the box is mounted vertically on a wall, the camera can still be mounted to the box and the camera ball adjusted to provide a regular view without any software shenanigans required to make it look right.

As far as the OPs question, I agree that it looks like a homemade mount made up of various pipe/conduit fittings. It's both impressive and laughable at the same time. :idk:
Thanks for the input, much appreciated. I'm here to learn :) , jack of no trades, master of none, ;)