What is with these extensive network racks?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
LOL - N+ bug has gotten you! That’s a terrible disease to have because it’s endless time, money, and research!
Lol no kidding. For a while I was thinking about running 3 identical servers in a 'proxmox' cluster for virtual machines using "ceph" for distributed storage. Then any one of the servers could fail and the other two would instantly boot up the virtual machines with no data loss. But then I read more about it and with a small cluster like that (3 is the minimum) the overhead is really high and the disk I/O performance is actually kind of terrible for some very technical reasons if you don't use enterprise SSDs with integrated batteries. So the price tag just kept going up and up and up. And nobody really needs that kind of reliability at home anyway so I ended up with just one server for VMs :)

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Lol no kidding. For a while I was thinking about running 3 identical servers in a 'proxmox' cluster for virtual machines using "ceph" for distributed storage. Then any one of the servers could fail and the other two would instantly boot up the virtual machines with no data loss. But then I read more about it and with a small cluster like that (3 is the minimum) the overhead is really high and the disk I/O performance is actually kind of terrible for some very technical reasons if you don't use enterprise SSDs with integrated batteries. So the price tag just kept going up and up and up. And nobody really needs that kind of reliability at home anyway so I ended up with just one server for VMs :)
Preach . . .

I know this path well and have been on this personal journey for what seems like forever.

In my home the main priority has been achieving the lowest energy consumption possible. While balancing the family / life happiness and real world use.

Having built a home from the ground up using as many of the Passive Hause standards the entire home is very tight and efficient.

The next step was to purchase electrical hardware that was efficient as it relates to the main infrastructure such as HWT, HVAC, all major appliances.

From there the next major mile stone was to integrate three different solar PV systems to address different scenarios and requirements.

The next major mile stone was to down size the eight massive 120 / 240 VAC APC Symetra UPS systems now in use. As I needed to reclaim as much space for my basement renovation.

Probably one of the saddest days of my life seeing those fridge sized UPS go! ☹

Regardless, the biggest upgrade I made was deploying a huge cluster of SBC’s. Along with investing the right amount of finances for current hardware that could reduce the amount of servers using VM’s.

It’s honestly been a struggle to find a good balance of using VM vs bare metal hardware!

I’m very old school so physical hardware is always my slant. Just love the backup, redundancy, and resiliency.

At some point I’ll need to really commit to downsizing my network from four 42U racks to two.

Just can’t find a reason today given the years of planning and deployment.

Probably the only major change this year is deploying three massive industrial grade double conversion UPS’s. As they are cold rated in our extreme arctic weather of -40’C

One unit getting prepped about a month ago.

Attachments

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
72U Wow, the racks we installed were in the 40+U, I think 42U

The work I did running cable, we use to haul/deliver and even install equip. in full cabinets. Some of the older ones the guys would take home with them. One guy grew Mary-Jane in it, lol. I never had the room for a full cabinet...we also installed/anchored down 7 foot racks too...had to do our drilling fast before people complained in the buildings we worked in...when they did we had to come back after hours :( to finish...

View attachment 193470
lol .. fat fingers on a mobile device .. I really should have typed 72" ( for 48U ) .. extra tall compared to a 42u

update: hmm .. been a long time since I used it .. 72" too short .. will have to check, was too high for the basement I was looking to put it in ..

Last edited:

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
lol .. fat fingers on a mobile device .. I really should have typed 72" ( for 48U ) .. extra tall compared to a 42u
Yeah I was picturing in my mind a side-by-side, then I thought maybe a double, front and back, which I have seen used with half sized switches...even seen that in cabinets, when you are limited on space, guess this is the way to mount...I remember some rooms I could barely squeeze in to get to the equip. I had one contract to change out UPS batteries for over 300 buildings for a Commercial ISP...fun backbreaking work...I was also changing out older APCs for Tripp Lites...The big 5U Smart 3000s were about 90 pounds with the huge batteries they used...got smart and rolled a floor dolly up to the rack to slide the UPS out. Still had to load them in my truck though :), the handles were a big help...

1714381241921.png1714381512300.png1714388030650.png

Hmmm, must of been thinking of some of the other 90 pound UPSs, this thing was 130 pounds...It had huge 4 Batteries...like Motorcycle size...

1714388354162.png

Some locations had multiple racks, MDF and IDF rooms...about 10-15 floors apart...

Last edited: