What is with these extensive network racks?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Seems like his data center computes 0's and 1's for NASA :rofl:

Lol .. if you were close to me I would gladly let you have spare rack .. I no longer have enough computers to shove in it thanks to vms ..

Would make a great argunsan cage for hosting all those videos

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Even when you consider that most of those servers are probably cheap old stuff from ebay, it costs a lot to fill even one rack, let alone 3 or 4 like that guy. And then it costs more over time to run them and keep them cool!!

I only got my first rack last year, just a cheap 42U open frame from Startech. And most of the things in it are not even rackmount capable so I had to get several shelves for it. And I mainly only did that because I have two storage servers and wanted to make it easier to expand them and to replace dead or dying drives. All the good server cases for this are in rackmount form. Hence, I got a rack to mount them in. Only about 11U of real rackmount hardware in my rack, with the rest of the space open or filled with stuff on shelves. And I don't even want any more.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Overall his deployment is well executed and you can see the details he invested in all of the key areas as it relates to power, energy management, redundancy.

His sound management is pretty impressive given this is in a home!

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In our new home I have a 12U I plan to hang up in a closet. I will have to add rack fans though since there is no air register in the closet...

My Rack is only 12 inches deep so maybe something like this:

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
In our new home I have a 12U I plan to hang up in a closet. I will have to add rack fans though since there is no air register in the closet...

My Rack is only 12 inches deep so maybe something like this:

Not a bad price for an entire enclosed 1U exhaust fan that incorporates upper / lower temperature control.

I prefer units that use PWM fans as this offer more flexibility in terms of sound level control and air flow management. Besides that it allows the fans RPM to be monitored in case there is a hardware failure.

Environmental monitoring and power management is very important when 24.7.365 operations is needed.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Not a bad price for an entire enclosed 1U exhaust fan that incorporates upper / lower temperature control.

I prefer units that use PWM fans as this offer more flexibility in terms of sound level control and air flow management. Besides that it allows the fans RPM to be monitored in case there is a hardware failure.

Environmental monitoring and power management is very important when 24.7.365 operations is needed.
Maybe something like this:

1714315475341.png

To control speed I assume the fans are PWM...

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Maybe something like this:

View attachment 193439

To control speed I assume the fans are PWM...
Ha - You beat me to it for a link! Yes, uses PWM fan and not for a whole lot of money have the flexibility of fan control. Moves a little more CFM of air and can balance noise vs air flow.

In terms of looks if that is important is way better looking!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
I believe a 2x rule is required .. so I am going for a 24u rack !
LOL - N+ bug has gotten you! That’s a terrible disease to have because it’s endless time, money, and research!

All joking aside I don’t know what else is such a good hobby. Making your home self sustaining, safe, secure, and a joy to live in when anything to bad weather to natural disasters come.

Can’t beat having back up, redundancy, and resilience.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am presently using a 9U Open Frame Rack (43-655) but would like to add a rack mounted PC (3U Blue Iris PC) so I bought the 12U 12" Deep (43-652) while at our other house but now thinking I may get the 19" Deep 12U one for our new house, even though most things will fit in the 12, even a 15 inch deep Rack Mounted PC, with 2-3 inch extender brackets. The rack sat on top of a 12 inch closet shelf at our old house but will be wall mounted at our new house. What I always forget is the room needed for the power cables in the back and power bricks going into my UPS.

This is a good place to order network supplies, I have had great luck with their cables and keystone jacks...been ordering from them for over half a decade now...

1714327406027.png

Only thing is their shipping is not cheap but their pricing on their products still beat others...Also I see prices has gone up since Covid but I bet they are still cheaper than others. This rack I have is solid...

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am presently using a 9U Open Frame Rack (43-655) but would like to add a rack mounted PC (3U Blue Iris PC) so I bought the 12U 12" Deep (43-652) while at our other house but now thinking I may get the 19" Deep 12U one for our new house, even though most things will fit in the 12, even a 15 inch deep Rack Mounted PC, with 2-3 inch extender brackets. The rack sat on top of a 12 inch closet shelf at our old house but will be wall mounted at our new house. What I always forget is the room needed for the power cables in the back and power bricks going into my UPS.

This is a good place to order network supplies, I have had great luck with their cables and keystone jacks...been ordering from them for over half a decade now...

View attachment 193451

Only thing is their shipping is not cheap but their pricing on their products still beat others...Also I see prices has gone up since Covid but I bet they are still cheaper than others. This rack I have is solid...
Lol anyone want for 72 u inch rack for cheap .. is OK .. can not ship it easily. ( 48U )

Last edited:

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Lol anyone want for 72 u rack for cheap .. is OK .. can not ship it easily.
72U Wow, the racks we installed were in the 40+U, I think 42U

The work I did running cable, we use to haul/deliver and even install equip. in full cabinets. Some of the older ones the guys would take home with them. One guy grew Mary-Jane in it, lol. I never had the room for a full cabinet...we also installed/anchored down 7 foot racks too...had to do our drilling fast before people complained in the buildings we worked in...when they did we had to come back after hours :( to finish...

1714344122903.png