What Is The Most Important Thing for a NVR

Phrosty

n3wb
Reaction score
Setting up my first blue IRIS NVR. After having purchased 12 3MP cameras I'm looking for suggestions on what the most important feature is for building or buying an NVR.

I've seen multiple suggestions for purchasing a Optiplex 9020 with an i7 4790 processor but being in Canada I'm not sure how much savings I'm going to get with customs and shipping.

What are some of the things I should be looking out for when purchasing or building a NVR?

i7-4790 processor?
integrated HD graphics?
4 (or 8) GB of Ram?

I feel like there has to be something in this country fairly priced to get what I need.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Setting up my first blue IRIS NVR. After having purchased 12 3MP cameras I'm looking for suggestions on what the most important feature is for building or buying an NVR.

I've seen multiple suggestions for purchasing a Optiplex 9020 with an i7 4790 processor but being in Canada I'm not sure how much savings I'm going to get with customs and shipping.

What are some of the things I should be looking out for when purchasing or building a NVR?

i7-4790 processor?
integrated HD graphics?
4 (or 8) GB of Ram?

I feel like there has to be something in this country fairly priced to get what I need.
If you are going to build your own, might as well do skylake.
yes intel HD is what you want, this allows hardware acceleration.
get at least 8gb, maybe 16 for 12 3mp cams...https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/6201-Blue-iris-and-CPU-consumption-as-it-relates-to-memory-usage

Phrosty

n3wb
Reaction score
If you are going to build your own, might as well do skylake.
yes intel HD is what you want, this allows hardware acceleration.
get at least 8gb, maybe 16 for 12 3mp cams...https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/6201-Blue-iris-and-CPU-consumption-as-it-relates-to-memory-usage
Thanks fenderman, ideally I don't want to build my own computer just looking for perhaps some suggestions for other prebuilt suggestions that I can actually get within Canada for a good deal. I can get the Optiplex here for $1100 so if I have to bite the bullet on that I probably will.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks fenderman, ideally I don't want to build my own computer just looking for perhaps some suggestions for other prebuilt suggestions that I can actually get within Canada for a good deal. I can get the Optiplex here for $1100 so if I have to bite the bullet on that I probably will.
wow, that is more than double the US prices. 1100 is crazy...look at ebay..there are some in canada for under 900...

Phrosty

n3wb
Reaction score
wow, that is more than double the US prices. 1100 is crazy...look at ebay..there are some in canada for under 900...
Haha well that is 1100 Canadian so about 850 US. I have found some on eBay just dealing with a guy who is in Canada so I might pull the trigger, it's under 900 Canadian which seems to be on par with pricing. Everything is overpriced north of the border.