What is My NVR - Chinese or WR?

wapaper59

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'd like to know if I have a Chinese Hikvision NVR or not.

The NVR's serial # starts with a bunch of numbers, then the letters BBRR, then more numbers, and then the letters WCVU at the end.

Is this a Chinese serial # or a WR # or what?

I tried to upgrade the firmware using the WR version but it wouldn't let me. It gave me an error message that said version mismatch.

Does THAT mean it is Chinese?

I'm just trying to update the firmware but I also don't want to brick it. Thanks for any help!

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Did you get your other problem sorted, or is this a continuation?

I tried to upgrade the firmware using the WR version but it wouldn't let me. It gave me an error message that said version mismatch.
For the benefit of other readers, to help you with that in this new thread we do need a bit more info shown, for example:
Exact model of NVR.
Current firmware version.
Link to the source of the firmware that you tried to update with. There are multiple Hikvision download sites globally.
Method of update - web GUI, FTP, tftp updater.

And maybe what new / updated problem if any you are trying to solve.
Hikvision firmware updates can be pretty troublesome, from 'bricking' to finding the NVR doesn't like any of your existing Chinese cameras any more, to a good result with more features and everything in between.

wapaper59

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Did you get your other problem sorted, or is this a continuation?

For the benefit of other readers, to help you with that in this new thread we do need a bit more info shown, for example:
Exact model of NVR.
Current firmware version.
Link to the source of the firmware that you tried to update with. There are multiple Hikvision download sites globally.
Method of update - web GUI, FTP, tftp updater.

And maybe what new / updated problem if any you are trying to solve.
Hikvision firmware updates can be pretty troublesome, from 'bricking' to finding the NVR doesn't like any of your existing Chinese cameras any more, to a good result with more features and everything in between.

Hey Alastair. Sorry. Different problem. I'm just trying to update my NVR this time.

The NVR model is a DS-7608NI-SE/P and the firmware version is V3.0.8, Build 140913.

New firmware was I_series_USA_Firmware_V3.4.3 via thumb drive and GUI.

And I do have Chinese cameras.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
New firmware was I_series_USA_Firmware_V3.4.3 via thumb drive and GUI.
That's for a different NVR series, the I-series is the newest range.
The firmware for your NI-SE/P is here : DOWNLOAD PORTAL
But, if that firmware behaves like that for the 76xxNI-Ex series, it will reject the cameras with a 'language mismatch' a version or 2 above what you currently have.
If you are dead set on updating the NVR, you should look at doing the 'MTD hack' on the cameras to convert then to EN region.
Or, if they are running 'hacked to English' firmware, leave them as-is and don't update them.
Check out their serial number, against the guide you linked to.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
"WHY" are you trying to update?

For some reason firmware is like crack to some people and they can't wait to get that next hit. If your system is operating without issue and the firmware presently does not pose any security risks there is really no reason to update 99% of the time. This forum is filled with "Oh S* i upgraded my firmware and it broke everything"... Followed by "Why did you upgrade or what were you trying to do... With the always awesome response of "I just wanted to newest firmware"....

You're playing with fire if you have hacked firmware cameras and a genuine NVR. As noted above you will most likely end up with region mismatch errors and non functioning cameras if you continue down this rabbit hole you don't appear comfortable with.

If it ain't broke don't fix it...

wapaper59

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
"WHY" are you trying to update?

For some reason firmware is like crack to some people and they can't wait to get that next hit. If your system is operating without issue and the firmware presently does not pose any security risks there is really no reason to update 99% of the time. This forum is filled with "Oh S* i upgraded my firmware and it broke everything"... Followed by "Why did you upgrade or what were you trying to do... With the always awesome response of "I just wanted to newest firmware"....

You're playing with fire if you have hacked firmware cameras and a genuine NVR. As noted above you will most likely end up with region mismatch errors and non functioning cameras if you continue down this rabbit hole you don't appear comfortable with.

If it ain't broke don't fix it...
No, I'm like you. I never want to upgrade anything really. Except that I bought 3 new WR cameras recently but my 3 year old NVR couldn't see the cameras due to a password mismatch (I think) because of Hikvision's password upgrade last year. So I sent the cameras back because I never could get them working but I would like to get some new ones again soon though. And after "researching" the problem, I think the problem is that I need to upgrade the NVR firmware to enable the password upgrade. Does this sound correct?

And I probably do have hacked cameras since they are definitely Chinese while the GUI is in English.

And you're right, I don't like this at all but I need more cameras. Should I try to get Chinese cameras this time? Do they have the new password requirements?

wapaper59

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That's for a different NVR series, the I-series is the newest range.
The firmware for your NI-SE/P is here : DOWNLOAD PORTAL
But, if that firmware behaves like that for the 76xxNI-Ex series, it will reject the cameras with a 'language mismatch' a version or 2 above what you currently have.
If you are dead set on updating the NVR, you should look at doing the 'MTD hack' on the cameras to convert then to EN region.
Or, if they are running 'hacked to English' firmware, leave them as-is and don't update them.
Check out their serial number, against the guide you linked to.
Hmm. I checked out the link but it looks like the versions there are all before Hikvision's strong password update requirement in May 2016. My goal is to try and get my NVR to see new cameras when I get them again so I thought I needed to upgrade my NVR. Is that not correct?

Last edited:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Except that I bought 3 new WR cameras recently but my 3 year old NVR couldn't see the cameras due to a password mismatch (I think) because of Hikvision's password upgrade last year.
I really don't think that's why there is a problem connecting the cameras. I don't recall other posts to that effect.
If there was a password mismatch, you'd get an explicit error to that effect.
We never did get to the bottom of the problems you are seeing.

wapaper59

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I really don't think that's why there is a problem connecting the cameras. I don't recall other posts to that effect.
If there was a password mismatch, you'd get an explicit error to that effect.
We never did get to the bottom of the problems you are seeing.
Correct. Never got them working so I had to send them back. But I have read quite a few articles that said it was most likely a password mismatch. Oh well, I'm starting a new thread on how to get a Hikvision NVR to "see" Dahua and/or GeoVision cameras since I already have those on hand. Maybe we can get those working instead! Thanks again.