What is ftp for

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
What do you mean "set up"?

If you have to ask the question of "what is ftp?", what exactly did you set up?

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
If you want to store the camera videos/snapshots in the FTP server of your Buffalo NAS.

Where were you planning on keeping your video recordings?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
"FTP" stands for "File Transfer Protocol" and is generally used to automate the upload of a file, such as a JPG snapshot, to a local NAS or to a web page.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Blue Iris's FTP support is basically limited to uploading snapshots or video clips for backup or archival purposes. BI doesn't support reading from an FTP server, only sending to it. If you want to use a NAS for your primary clip storage, you'd need to use a different protocol like SMB or ISCSI to map it as a network drive. Then there are some concerns with making sure the Blue Iris service runs as a user account that has access to the network drive.

reflection

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
LOL. FTP can be done with SSL, making it better. But for LAN traffic, who cares.
Even if you don't care about security within your LAN, SFTP will give you better throughput than FTP. FTP is almost 50 years old :).

fahl

n3wb
Reaction score
I know all about Ftp itself,been using it for 15 years or so
What i meant was,how do you use it within BI?
where do you go to upload stuff if i wish to,just curious really.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I know all about Ftp itself,been using it for 15 years or so
What i meant was,how do you use it within BI?
where do you go to upload stuff if i wish to,just curious really.
Maybe we couldn't tell by the title of your post "what is ftp for".

I have BI FTP a snapshot of my FlagCam to my web page every 15 minutes ==>> here.

When Weather Underground was worth a crap I used to upload a snapshot there of it along with all my weather station data.

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Wow! Nice driveway!
Thanks and I wish.....my cement d/w is to the left, out of sight. That's a county road you see.
There's a public boat ramp to the left down that hill about 500 yards, folks launch to enjoy a 21,000 acre man-made lake.
Holidays are particularly noisy, fisherman gab at 2 AM LOUDLY after a six-pack, I pick up ice bags and beer cans constantly.
But it's calm 75% of the time and you've likely seen the many deer videos I've posted, plus we have fox, 'coons, possums, bobcats, hawks, owls, mink, and squirrels and birds galore.

We're in the middle of a national forest so we've much to be thankful for, I guess....but if that WAS my driveway I'd close it! ;)

Teeauu

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Maybe we couldn't tell by the title of your post "what is ftp for".

I have BI FTP a snapshot of my FlagCam to my web page every 15 minutes ==>> here.

When Weather Underground was worth a crap I used to upload a snapshot there of it along with all my weather station data.
Oh good, I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks WU is crap now. It was great back in the day and then IBM........