What is C:\ProgramData\Blue Iris\temp used for?

Slate2000

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
My C drive is an SSD of 256GB and only has the BI database on it as recommended. My D drive is a 16TB Seagate. My C drive ran out of room a short time ago and I went in and cleaned up some files, but I could not figure out why so much space was being used. I found a folder "C:\ProgramData\Blue Iris\temp". This has no subfolders, but over 442k image files and it takes ~190 GB. I haven't been able to find anything on this. What is this folder used for? Is it needed? BlueIrisTempFolder.pngBlueIrisTempFolder.png

KenAllen15

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Are you running Deepstack? I think that might be one of the spots that it stores AI analysis snapshots.

Slate2000

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Not that I'm aware of. The files go back over two years.

There is no mention of "ProgramData" the manual.

The images appear to be alert pics as best I can tell...

Last edited:

Slate2000

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
This folder is used to store temporary images waiting for the upload to something like an FTP server. Early on I was using BI to upload images to my FTP server. Now, I use the individual cams FTP capability to upload directly to my FTP server, which is located on a different device. Doing more research.

I have verified that the folder can be used as a temporary holding area for FTP images waiting to be uploaded. On a camera setting, the alert tab, "On Alert" button was enabled but the FTP server associated was disabled when I went to camera FTPs. So, this temp folder has been filling up for over two years!! Yikes!!

Last edited:

Slate2000

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I closed BI down and deleted the folder, freeing up ~190 GB. I re-created the folder and started BI. Watching...

Vettester

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
This is not part of BI's normal file structure. You should review your clips and archiving tab in BI settings.

Slate2000

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I found this in the manual: "The temp path is used by the software for temporarily saving JPEG images for upload, as well as temporary files for remote management. You may select a target maximum to retain for each remote system under management, however, the folder can grow quite large when clips are viewed remotely. Please ensure that this location is chosen appropriately and will not result in a disc full condition on a disc used for the database or recording."

The "Out of Disk" condition is what happened to me. Of course, it happened in the very early morning, so a number of videos were not saved to the "New" folder until I made some space on my C:\ drive for the BI database.

Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score
I found this in the manual: "The temp path is used by the software for temporarily saving JPEG images for upload, as well as temporary files for remote management. You may select a target maximum to retain for each remote system under management, however, the folder can grow quite large when clips are viewed remotely. Please ensure that this location is chosen appropriately and will not result in a disc full condition on a disc used for the database or recording."

The "Out of Disk" condition is what happened to me. Of course, it happened in the very early morning, so a number of videos were not saved to the "New" folder until I made some space on my C:\ drive for the BI database.
Has deleting that folder and recreating it worked for you? I think I might be having this issue as well

Slate2000

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@Cameraguy No issues at all. I just checked and the folder has one file in it which I think is a BI control file.

Note that I went to each camera and made sure I turned off sending images via FTP within BI. BI is running fine and my C drive is only using ~44 GB.

I stopped bi and then deleted the temp folder. It took some time with over 440k files! Then recreated the temp folder and started BI. No issues.

Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score
@Cameraguy No issues at all. I just checked and the folder has one file in it which I think is a BI control file.

Note that I went to each camera and made sure I turned off sending images via FTP within BI. BI is running fine and my C drive is only using ~44 GB.

I stopped bi and then deleted the temp folder. It took some time with over 440k files! Then recreated the temp folder and started BI. No issues.
Thanks I give that a try

Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score
For some reason there wasn't anything in the program data folder.. I was able to make enough space on the ssd and install treeline program. It found a huge deepstack folder and I deleted those files and all was back to normal. Thanks