What happened to the entrance reducer on my bee hive?

snoyes34231

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I spent two day, cutting open the wiring loom and soldering and heat shrinking wires... I was SO PISSED>
the pic with the gutterspike, is a safety.. you DO NOT want you fingers to get caugh in these..

Attachments

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
All rodents (which includes tree rats aka squirrels) LOVE thermosplastic insulation because of the soy content.

Gophers used to get into the in-ground pullboxes for the traffic signal and street lighting wiring and nibble on the insulation, sometimes electocuting themselves.
Squirrels get into my tractor barn and chew on my extension cords and the rubber anti-squeak material that is sandwiched between my tractor's metal wheel well and the fender.:mad:

snoyes34231

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
A class-action lawsuit was filed in 2016 in California against Toyota claiming the company should cover — under warranty — damage from rodents chewing through insulation for wiring that is now soy-based versus petroleum-based.In the same year on the East Coast, AAA car care center technicians were finding a similar ...Jan 1, 2021

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
Almost all cars have the "green" wiring. It's a huge problem all over.

Honda makes a rodent tape that has capstan (pepper juice) in the adhesive
that you can wrap around the wiring loom. It works well, just kinda expensive,
still cheaper then the repairs!

mcapeed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
A rat chewed some wires under the hood of my truck. Built a nice little nest too. Side marker lamp wires so easy fix.

Not sure how to keep them out. I have 5 poison bait boxes on the property with 3 in the carport.

I have fan on high blowing under the engine bay area. I know the heat is attractive to them in the winter so hopefully this will help.

3m sells a wire mesh tape which I bought but wrapping all the wires under the hood isn’t feasible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
Over 30+ years at my friends place we tried several things.

The things that worked most of the time

Lights under the hood that stayed on all the time.

Popping the hood every time you parked

Zip tying rat poison to all the spots under the hood close to
where the are building their nest.

Honda tape with pepper in adhesive.

Might have helped

Parking on the paving away from any grass

Plugging all the holes they could get back in to make a nest.

What did not work at all.

Ultra sonic bug and mouse repellers

Garlic under the hood.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
How about moth balls? I've heard that the smell keeps rodents away, but have not proof.
I will say they're great for reducing visits by wasps and yellow jackets in outdoor trash cans, like at parks and recreation areas. :headbang:
You lift up the bag, drop in a double handfull (wash your hands or wear disposable gloves) then replace the bag.
Depending on ambient temp and humidity, they last about the time it takes to replace the bag; they evaporate and are made from either naphthalene or paradichlorobenzene.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Look up Shawn Woods (Mousetrap Monday) on YT. The guy has reviewed hundreds (if not thousands) of traps and products to fight rodents. He reviews/tests them quite objectively with cameras and timers. It is surprising to see how few things actually work.