What FPS do you set on your cameras?

camviewer43

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm curious what your frames per second is that you folks set on your cameras? It seems like 8 or 10 frames per second is plenty for monitoring needs. Are there cases where you need more?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
No reason to run more than 15FPS, and many us have cams running at 10 to 12 FPS. Movies for the big screen are shot at 24FPS, so I do not think we need 30FPS for these cameras and to view on our phones and monitors LOL. The goal is to get a clean image, not smooth motion.

Sure 30FPS can provide a smoother video but no police officer has said "wow that person really is running smooth". They want the ability to freeze frame and get a clean image. So be it if the video is a little choppy....and at 10-15FPS it won't be appreciable. My neighbor runs his at 60FPS, so the person or car goes by looking smooth, but it is a blur when trying to freeze frame it because the camera can't keep up. Meanwhile my cameraat 15FPS with the proper shutter speed gets the clean shots.

Watch these, for most of us, it isn't annoying until below 10FPS

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
I use 15 on most. 20 on a couple. Gives a little better results with animals moving through quickly and mostly just because I can now with substreams and there's minimal affect. Something like the quick little legs of a fox looks cleaner and the movements more natural. I've tried 30 and didn't see much difference. So compromised at 20. As a surveillance cam for people, you don't really need it. And exposure makes a much bigger difference in either case for captures.

camviewer43

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Watch these, for most of us, it isn't annoying until below 10FPS

Nice, those videos really make it clear what the difference is.

Does CPU and storage scale with Frame Rate? So 5FPS will be half the cpu and storage as 10fps?

Well, CPU is tough to make that case. What I mean is, the difference in CPU usage between 5fps to 10fps in terms of cpu is half as much as the difference between 10fps to 20fps?

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
Dropping from 10 to 5 fps would cut your storage in half. Now if you are using the sub stream
for recording all the time, changing to main stream for motion, it will be different, as the amount
of motion will have a lot to do with space.
CPU use, I would think less, but I don't know how much.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
As far as what frames I run, Most of mine are 10 or 12 FPS.
The ones at the road are 15, and the 4k (8M) overview cameras
are only 5fps since they eat up the storage.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@camviewer43 - a few of my cams have a system status screen, and they call it a CPU, so that is why I am calling it a CPU, but this shows this camera running at 8192 bitrate, H264, CBR, and 12 FPS is hitting the camera processor at 47% and jumps to 70% with motion. If I up the camera to 30 FPS, the usage is in the high 90% range, but then with motion, it maxes out and would get unstable.

Or if I keep it at 12 FPS and use the camera motion detection, the CPU in the camera goes to 60% idle.

This would be nice if all cams had this so we could see how our settings impact the performance of the camera. I think running these cams close to capacity is probably harder to overcome than a computer spike at 100% CPU.

1641066055238.png

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
non-crucial indoor 24-7 lighting I can get away with 8-10.
LPR is on 12 sometimes 15....tweak it from time to time.
experimenting with 12-15 on outdoor cams.
12 on my 2Mp PTZ outdoor.