What Exposure/Backlight setting to combat shadow?

darrenph1

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I am getting a shadow at my front door for a few hours that really blocks seeing faces. Is there a setting to use for that?

darrenph1

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
WDR=Wide Dynamic Range, if your cam has it.
It does! Thanks I'll see how that works today. Should I set all my cam to that or just ones that deal with high contrast situation like the front door shadow?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Ive found that just a little bit o WDR goes a long way. But yeah to a degree its the nature of the WDR. I have had pretty good compromise success playing with exposure and contrast and trying different WDR levels. WDR self adjusts depending on the difference between the dark and light areas so its dynamic and tends to change with the light in the scene.

Notice towards the end of this clip as the sun intensity increases, the WDR compensates

(choose 1080p of course)

Last edited:

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Has your camera got HLC / BLC? I was playing around with my HDW5231R-Z yesterday and with one of those two I completely removed all traces of the sun's shadow from under my car in the driveway. It transformed it into looking like an overcast day with no shadows whatsoever.

(I'm not sure what negative effects it would have, but it was very impressive with no obvious problems in those conditions.)