What does the green box do?

RafflesNH

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi all,
When I preview (only) the live image from my cctv, I see a resizeable green box appear whenever an object moves in the image. (See photo attached)

Does anyone know what its purpose is and what settings enable/disable it? I'm under the impression it's either a focus point or a facial recognition sensor, but if the latter, it gets triggered on inanimate objects, such as vehicles too, as per my photo.

Thanks.
Nigel

CCTV.png

SquareEyes

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As per you picture. The vehicle has triggered Rule 1. You can turn it off in your NVR settings by changing the "Show IVS Rule" option. Probably the same in the camera but I leave it on as I find makes live monitoring multiple cams easier.

RafflesNH

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
As per you picture. The vehicle has triggered Rule 1. You can turn it off in your NVR settings by changing the "Show IVS Rule" option. Probably the same in the camera but I leave it on as I find makes live monitoring multiple cams easier.
Ah. So it's the IVS tripwire being triggered that the green box then identifies the source of the trigger and follows it. In my screengrab, the vehicle had actually tripped Rule 2 and followed it to the point you then see in the image. Anyway, useful to have that confirmed, thank you.

Nigel

RafflesNH

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ah. So it's the IVS tripwire being triggered that the green box then identifies the source of the trigger and follows it. In my screengrab, the vehicle had actually tripped Rule 2 and followed it to the point you then see in the image. Anyway, useful to have that confirmed, thank you.

Nigel
Actually, I'm now beginning to have my doubts about that tripwire/IVS being the sole reason for generating the green box, as I have just seen live footage of the green box tracking objects outside the motion detection zones and IVS fields. Interestingly, the size of the box changes depending on how large the object is, or it thinks it is.
So any further thoughts on this are most welcome.

Nigel

Darkflame808

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I believe the green box is a visual representation that the camera is "taking interest" in the object (it's moving in frame and the camera is making internal calculations on the object to see if it meets the "criteria(s)" that you defined for triggering.

RafflesNH

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I believe the green box is a visual representation that the camera is "taking interest" in the object (it's moving in frame and the camera is making internal calculations on the object to see if it meets the "criteria(s)" that you defined for triggering.
Yes I see what you mean. I'll just leave it to do its own thing then and forget about it!
Thanks for taking an interest.

Nigel

RafflesNH

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
SquareEyes,
I can't find that option. Can you elaborate on where in the NVR that setting is avaiable?
What software are you using? If using ONVIF Device manager or the web browser Plug-in, then you need to go to Setup/System/Display (See screenshot below)
If using SmartPSS, then you just right-click anywhere on the live or playback image and toggle 'IVS Rule' on or off to suit.

IVS Rule.png

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
RafflesNH,
Thanks so much for elaborating, and providing the screenshot!

What software are you using? If using ONVIF Device manager or the web browser Plug-in, then you need to go to Setup/System/Display
Note: I'm not using Onvif device manager. All my devices are Dahua (listed in my signature, below). I use a web browser plug in the the Pale Moon browser.

I now see the option was there, under my nose.
In your screen shot, it's called "IVS Rule"
In my screen shot, it's called "display the intelligent"

I guess I'm not "the intelligent", since I missed it, lol!

Thanks for your help!

Fastb
upload_2017-12-8_15-10-23.png

RafflesNH

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
RafflesNH,
Thanks so much for elaborating, and providing the screenshot!

Note: I'm not using Onvif device manager. All my devices are Dahua (listed in my signature, below). I use a web browser plug in the the Pale Moon browser.

I now see the option was there, under my nose.
In your screen shot, it's called "IVS Rule"
In my screen shot, it's called "display the intelligent"

I guess I'm not "the intelligent", since I missed it, lol!

Thanks for your help!

Fastb
View attachment 24486
LOL!
Glad you're sorted now. BTW, there is the word 'rules' which follows 'display the intelligent', albeit on the next line down. Seems they put the radio button in the wrong place.
On a more general note, it is interesting to see that different naming/labelling conventions are used depending on the hardware employed, even if the manufacturer is the same.

Regards,
Nigel