What does bi d2d use for video (mjpeg,h.264,mpeg)?

Chust

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Trying to figure how many days I can record using d2d but need to know the video format.?!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Trying to figure how many days I can record using d2d but need to know the video format.?!
Direct to disc just skips the rencoding..so if you camera is streaming h.264 it will be h.264

Chust

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
yeah i get that. But, how do I calculate how many days of recording can I get. None of the online calculators have d2d. Probally the dummest question i've ever asked. LOL

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
yeah i get that. But, how do I calculate how many days of recording can I get. None of the online calculators have d2d. Probally the dummest question i've ever asked. LOL
use h.264 if your cameras are h.264 camera... d2d is meaningless, all it means is the file is not reencoded...you can use d2d and have it be , avi, wmv, mp4 etc...

Chust

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
ok, I get it now. WOW! Many thanks!

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Look at the bit rate the camera is set to stream. That is the rate it will fill up your disk. So assuming you have it set to 6 Mbps, you can go to google and search for

6 megabits per second to gigabytes per day
and google helpfully responds "64.8 gigabytes per day". Follow that template to figure out how much each cam will use at any given bit rate.

Now of course this assumes the camera is using a constant bit rate (not variable bit rate) and also assumes the camera will actually send what you tell it to send. You may get more accurate numbers by looking at the status window in Blue Iris at the actual bit rate the camera is sending. This I think is expressed in kilobytes per second in that status window ... my BI system is not accessible at the moment so I can't verify.

In that case you can search for

531 kilobytes per second to gigabytes per day
which yields a result of "45.8784 gigabytes per day"

Anyway as long as you don't get your kilo / mega / giga and bits / bytes mixed up it is fairly straightforward to calculate how much disk space will be used.