What do you think of these two cameras for a first time setup

kolt_

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My interest in IP cameras have been recently renewed and after looking at the usual products heavily advertised, such as Reolink, my research has led me to pass on that and look at Dahua. The cameras are fairly expensive and I want to invest in only a couple cameras for now as I am just starting out (just purchased BI a few days ago). I am specifically looking at IPC-T2231T-ZS and IPC-T2431T-AS 3.6mm. The 2231 looks pretty good with the 2MP 1/2.8'' sensor which I understand produces a decent image especially during the night time, and it has vari-focal lens which I can adjust. The 2431 has a 4MP 1/3'' sensor which I believe is not good but I have been told it also produces a good image. The 2231 looks like it lacks a microphone unlike the 2431 and I was wondering if that matters (are microphones that essential/useful?). Let me know what you guys think.

Thank you

Edit: These cameras will be mounted outdoors monitoring my driveway

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Good move on passing on the reolinks!

The 2MP will blow away the 4MP at night. That 4MP is on a smaller sensor than the 2MP. The 4MP will need over double the light than the 2MP.

You would be shocked how much light is needed for these cameras to stay in color at night. Most of us have to force it to color if we want color.

Two cameras on the same size sensor, I will go with the 2MP over the 4MP every day.

The mic is good in that it completes the full picture so to speak. You can hear what people are saying, glass breaking etc.. You can even set the cam and/or Blue Iris to trigger based on sound alone.

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have a couple of 2431s. They are good for a cheap camera. However, they require light, lots of light, as @wittaj says. If you have street lights around, the 2431 might work, but the 2231 would be a much better choice if not very well lit.

whoami ™

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I just set up a 2231T-ZS last night I got during Amazon Prime Day... I have three 5542's and was worried the 2231 wasn't going to be able to hold its own in the dark but IMHO its AS GOOD if not BETTER THAN the 5542 in low light. (Leaning more towards "AS GOOD")

SecCam_8 2021-07-06 01.22.53.942 AM.jpg

Last edited:

Jomsha

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just set up a 2231T-ZS last night I got during Amazon Prime Day... I have three 5542's and was worried the 2231 wasn't going to be able to hold its own in the dark but IMHO its AS GOOD if not BETTER THAN the 5542 in low light. (Leaning more towards "AS GOOD")

View attachment 94519
Looking good, intersting to see people moving in this area, if its enough for identification

Reaction score
Looking good, intersting to see people moving in this area, if its enough for identification
Great question to ask, even some of the worst cameras available can get a perfectly good image if everything & everyone is standing still long enough. The right question is the image clear enough to identify someone door checking you in the middle of the night.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Don't leave any camera on "auto" settings. Yes, you get nice color night time still images but as soon as motion happens it'll be a blur where the motion happened. Take the shutter off of "auto" and set it to manual with a speed no lower than 16.66ms. That will be the true test. Be careful with gain and backlighting. Both will add noise and blur at night.

kolt_

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Good move on passing on the reolinks!

The 2MP will blow away the 4MP at night. That 4MP is on a smaller sensor than the 2MP. The 4MP will need over double the light than the 2MP.

You would be shocked how much light is needed for these cameras to stay in color at night. Most of us have to force it to color if we want color.

Two cameras on the same size sensor, I will go with the 2MP over the 4MP every day.

The mic is good in that it completes the full picture so to speak. You can hear what people are saying, glass breaking etc.. You can even set the cam and/or Blue Iris to trigger based on sound alone.
Thanks for the reply. I am going to look for 2MP with that senor size more often now. I guess I don't need those exact specifications for every area I plan on putting a camera at, but I assume it's good near the road/entrance to my driveway. Will the microphone in another camera that covers the area the 2231 will cover a 100ft away be enough to hear loud noises? I came across the IPC-T3241T-ZAS for $20 more and it looks like the same compared to the 2231 but with a built-in microphone. Currently considering that one instead of the 2231.

View attachment 94519
Thanks for picture! It looks really clear and makes me feel a little more confident in the 2231. I have to ask; do you find it a big disadvantage with it not having a microphone? I just came across the IPC-T3241T-ZAS for ~$20 more and it has a built in mic, I wonder if it's worth the extra money.

Don't leave any camera on "auto" settings. Yes, you get nice color night time still images but as soon as motion happens it'll be a blur where the motion happened. Take the shutter off of "auto" and set it to manual with a speed no lower than 16.66ms. That will be the true test. Be careful with gain and backlighting. Both will add noise and blur at night.
Will definitely edit those settings when they arrive. I plan to get the most out of them. Thank you

whoami ™

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks for picture! It looks really clear and makes me feel a little more confident in the 2231. I have to ask; do you find it a big disadvantage with it not having a microphone? I just came across the IPC-T3241T-ZAS for ~$20 more and it has a built in mic, I wonder if it's worth the extra money.
I have six cams pointed towards the front of my house. Two 5442's cover the important areas, a Doorbell cam, another 2231 on one side of my house and some other Dahua dome cam I've got a 6mm 5442 LED coming to replace on the other side, and now this 2231. I'm only using this 2231 to get a over view of my yard and street so I don't need the mic.

I haven't set up any of my cams for audio yet in the three years I've had them. Maybe one day ¯\(ツ)

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
You also might want to look at the 3241T-ZAS. 2MP on a 1/2.8" sensor, varifocal with audio for about 10 or 15 bucks more than the 2231. I have both the 2231 and 3241 and actually like the 3241 better. The best is still the 5442 series for color at night IF you have enough ambient light.

kolt_

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You also might want to look at the 3241T-ZAS. 2MP on a 1/2.8" sensor, varifocal with audio for about 10 or 15 bucks more than the 2231. I have both the 2231 and 3241 and actually like the 3241 better. The best is still the 5442 series for color at night IF you have enough ambient light.
Actually just cancelled both my orders for the 2231 and the 2431 on Amazon, bought the 3241 from the IPcamtalk store. Only $9 more, worth it for the mic and potentially better image quality. Trying to figure out what to buy instead of the 2431 considering the senor size at around that price range.

whoami ™

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Actually just cancelled both my orders for the 2231 and the 2431 on Amazon, bought the 3241 from the IPcamtalk store. Only $9 more, worth it for the mic and potentially better image quality. Trying to figure out what to buy instead of the 2431 considering the senor size at around that price range.
I would just hold off and spend the money on a 5442. It'll actually save you money over the long run. Use the 2431 to figure out if a 3.6 or 6mm will work, or if your going to need a VF. If your going to be able to stay in color at night I'd get the LED. If color isn't possible I'd get the IR. I bought other cheap cams first... Now I'm spending money on the 5442's on top of the money I already spent.

Last edited:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
We all seem to start the same way and make the same mistakes. High MP on 1/3" sensors just don't cut it at night unless things are lit up like a baseball stadium for a night game. I wasted enough money to buy three 5442s on cameras like that. Use the 3241 to check out each location and what lens size will work best in each location. A test rig is easy to set up and well worth the time and effort.

Here's a calculator to determine lens size based on the zoom factor. It's only approximate and be aware that field of view will change as sensor size changes (increases) but it's close enough to be workable.

Focal Length Calculator

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I didn't do enough testing. It was trial by fire. Don't be like Johnny ClicknCrash. try testing with the 3241. or buy 2 of them, and once you see how things look, your 3rd camera will solve whatever the 3241's cant.
Hell I may have to buy 1 now too....I didn't know it had audio built in... for the money thats nice.
Has anybody deployed those $54 dollar Amcrest 5MP IP5M-T1179EW-28MM outdoors? they have audio too. I have 1 in each of the 3 laundry rooms.

kolt_

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I didn't do enough testing. It was trial by fire. Don't be like Johnny ClicknCrash. try testing with the 3241. or buy 2 of them, and once you see how things look, your 3rd camera will solve whatever the 3241's cant.
Hell I may have to buy 1 now too....I didn't know it had audio built in... for the money thats nice.
Has anybody deployed those $54 dollar Amcrest 5MP IP5M-T1179EW-28MM outdoors? they have audio too. I have 1 in each of the 3 laundry rooms.
I was looking at the IP5M-T1179EW-28MM before considering any of the Dahuas. They look nice for the price, I might buy a couple in the future to mount around my house and see how they work.

kolt_

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Stupid question - is the IPC-T3241T-ZAS a starlight camera? It only has the starlight box on the product page but is not listed elsewhere compared to other starlight cameras on the store and Amazon.