What do colorvue LEDs look like to subject

ekbrewer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am considering a colorvue camera and would like to know what they look like to the subject. Are they blinding? I can't seem to find videos or images on the web. Here is an example from ipvm of where I would like to place one. It would be 16 feet off the ground.

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Well they are LED so they can look annoyingly bright looking right at them. One of the many reasons why people don't use the built-in light is that depending on where they are located on the house they may look out of place or awkward or my shine in a neighbors window (which doesn't look like the case for you) so instead they rely on other ambient lighting from the house.

Think about a couple of cellphone flashlights pointed at you - the white LED is bright looking straight into them.

Here is what it looks like with the LED at 100%. Camera on the left, a flashlight in the middle, and a cellphone on the right.

1666914912332.png

And with just the camera on the left and a cellphone flashlight on the right.

1666915473129.png

ekbrewer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you wittaj. That is extremely helpful! I think I will go for it, along with a 100 watt incandescent bulb in the vicinity and supplemental LED on motion detect.

Eric

TieNN89

n3wb
Reaction score
How dark is it there?

The issue I find having the Colorvue in pitch black areas, you need the led on and unfortunately it attracts bugs.

If it's dark, no light then I think the Hybrid Light model coming out is worth considering.
IR and flicks on the LED when it detects a vehicle or person.

ekbrewer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It's very dark at my house. I had conceded to have on a 100 watt light bulb about 25 feet away. I have been waiting for a smart light camera for a couple years, but with 4k and 1/1.2 sensor size. Unfortunately, I can only find sensor size on one of the new cams and it is 1/3". Am glad to know that this tech is coming, though, and am thankful that you let me know so that I can keep waiting.
Eric

How dark is it there?

The issue I find having the Colorvue in pitch black areas, you need the led on and unfortunately it attracts bugs.

If it's dark, no light then I think the Hybrid Light model coming out is worth considering.
IR and flicks on the LED when it detects a vehicle or person.