What causes these artifacts when camera seeing moving person?

camviewer43

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This is in broad daylight, so there's plenty of light, not sure why. This is on the new Dahua IPC-Color4K-T.

For encoding, I've tried h265 as well as h264. Backlight set to WDR.

Besides the weird artifact, it seems like when I walk into the scene, the video stutters - like it stops updating. Then resumes after a few seconds of no updates. I'm recording these from VLC, playing stream directly from the camera URL.

1666983874098.png

1666983886524.png

1666983901306.png

Dodutils

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
This looks like missing Frames problem, could be because of network problem or CPU overload did you try with the camera as close to computer as possible with only camera on network.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
A common cause is the camera going thru a router and the router cannot keep up. Is your camera going thru a router?

Another one is a problem graphics driver.

How much WDR do you have on - you should run it as low as possible. Default 50 can be problematic.

Last edited:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Common image issues

looktall

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Do you have these issues only during playback or does happen during live view as well?

looktall

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You need to rule out various things
I would reset the camera back to defaults and see if it still does it.
If it's doing it on defaults then it is unlikely to be from any config you have applied and you can look elsewhere.

camviewer43

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
A common cause is the camera going thru a router and the router cannot keep up. Is your camera going thru a router?

Another one is a problem graphics driver.

How much WDR do you have on - you should run it as low as possible. Default 50 can be problematic.
Yes, it's going through the router. I've not had any issues with my network speeds. I regularly get get just over 100 megabytes per second (bytes, not bits) to my NAS. I'll see if lowering WDR and try again.

Edit: looking at windows network monitor, I'm hovering around 17mbps, which is what the max bit rate is.

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, it's going through the router. I've not had any issues with my network speeds. I regularly get get just over 100 megabytes per second (bytes, not bits) to my NAS. I'll see if lowering WDR and try again.
This is not a wdr issue. There is a high probability that this is being caused by your router as others have noted. Dropped packets is not something you would notice data transfer to your nas but very much so on a camera.

camviewer43

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah, doubt a reset will change anything. Looks like a network problem or not enough horsepower on the device
Using network monitor while viewing stream, I see 17mbps, which is the max bitrate. So...I think the network is OK right?

Santeesticks

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Using network monitor while viewing stream, I see 17mbps, which is the max bitrate. So...I think the network is OK right?
@camviewer43, I'm relatively inexperienced as it relates to IP configurations, but I've read copious amounts of material in this forum and will try to throw some information your way. Should any of the more experienced folks identify something I'm doing wrong, please advise so I can remove the bad information. if you're going through your router you can run into issues. I imagine you're set up similar to this? If so, it's not ideal and can cause problems as you're sending your camera traffic through what is likely a residential router.

1667015587660.png

Based on what I've read in the forums here, this would be the preferred setup and is the setup I'm using but it requires two network cards:
1667015710536.png

If you don't have two network cards, I'd still recommend not sending your IP Camera traffic through your router by setting up like this but this setup has greater potential to allow your cameras to "see" the internet over the dual NIC setup.

1667015797046.png

There is quite a bit of information available regarding the dual NIC setup in the WIKI: (1) Dual NIC setup on your Blue Iris Machine | IP Cam Talk

Good luck...

EDIT: Another thing I noticed is your bitrate is set to 13000. I have no idea if a "non-standard" bitrate could cause issues but it's something I noticed and perhaps you could try either 12288 or 14336 to see if you notice a change. For what it's worth, I run mine at 10240...

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The speed of your internet is immaterial...

Cameras connected to Wifi routers (whether the camera is wifi or hardwired) are problematic for surveillance cameras because they are always streaming and passing data. And the data demands go up with motion and then you lose signal. A lost packet and it has to resend. It can bring the whole network down if trying to send cameras through a wifi router. At the very least it can slow down your entire system.

Unlike Netflix and other streaming services that buffer a movie, these cameras do not buffer up part of the video, so drop outs are frequent, especially once you start adding distance. You would be amazed how much streaming services buffer - don't believe me, start watching something and unplug your router and watch how much longer you can watch NetFlix before it freezes - mine goes 45 seconds. Now do the same with a camera connected to a router and it is fairly instantaneous (within the latency of the stream itself)...

camviewer43

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Oh ok, I see what people are saying about the router. Thanks @Santeesticks and @wittaj. My traffic is going through the router, but the source (camera) and the sink (my computer) are all hardwired, and therefore it's going through the switch part of the router. It basically is the same as a switch. No wifi involved.

I'm kinda surprised by some of the network recommendations. The camera is only capable of like 17mbps. It's not a lot of bandwidth, and if everything is hardwired, shouldn't pose an issue even for a measly 100mbps home network.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Re-read what I posted.

The same issue applies even with the hard-wired cameras trying to send all this non-buffer video stream through a wifi router. Most consumer grade wifi routers are not designed to pass the constant video stream data of cameras, and since they do not buffer, you get these issues. The consumer wifi routers are just not designed for this kind of traffic, even a GB speed wifi router. It isn't simply a switch, and it has all the other wifi connections to it and routing all that stuff.

I tried once using an old wifi router as a switch for the cameras as I had a few POE injectors and not another POE switch. It was a 900Mbps router. I turned the wifi off and all that was hooked to it was 3 hardwired cameras and then it was connected to the POE switch the rest of my cameras were connected to in my dual NIC system. Those cameras had problems and were always dropping off and other issues. As soon as I replaced it with a real switch, it became stable.

These cameras provide NON-STOP data streaming and as such can provide a constant load that some of the routers will have trouble with.

The constant streaming of unbuffered data is what brings the routers to their knees.

Plus, you should never have your cameras passing through your router...they should be isolated from the internet all-together. That is how folks here have 30 cameras going and doesn't slow down their internet. Try that with 30 cameras going through your router and it will be slower than dial-up internet (if you are old enough to remember that LOL) it it doesn't implode first.

Another member came here about a year ago with a similar issue and around 10 cams. After much hesitation, I convinced him to install another NIC into his BI computer (less than $20) and run all the cameras to that on a separate IP address than the rest of his internet and then connect the other NIC to his internet from the BI computer.

Wouldn't you know it, his BI system became stable. And he didn't mention in the original post that he was having issues with Zoom calls. And that all cleared up after he took his cameras off the router. Color him surprised.

People will say stuff like "we stream 5 TVs with no problem". Yeah that is because streaming services like Netflix and others buffer the video. It may buffer 15 seconds to a minute or more of video. This allows it to send some video, pause to let something else on the network use the internet, send some more video, and repeat process.

We also see the same issue when people try to use a USB drive for cameras. Clearly the bandwidth for the camera is order of magnitude smaller than the capacity of USB 3.0, yet it cannot keep up with the constant non-stop data.

So as a test, disconnect your camera from the router and plug it into the ethernet port of the computer so that it is a complete stand-alone system not talking to the internet or touching the router. The problem will probably go away.

If it doesn't go away, then it is a limitation in your computer - either a network card is slow or failing, issue trying to take it thru VLC, the graphics driver is the wrong one, etc.

Last edited:

Andykev

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have an 17-6700K with a Nvidia graphics card. IF I use BIOS/UEFI to turn ON the on board graphics and use the Nvidia card I get exactly the same "GHOST" trails on live view. Despite what I read in some on line article, I could not "do both". Might want to check to see if it's a conflict with your CPU graphics vs. graphics card with both enabled. As soon as I disabled the "on board computer graphics" and just use the graphics card, there is zero issues. I am assuming going to the CPU graphics and removing the graphics card would accomplish the same. However I have to use the BI pc for another shared task, so I went with the Nvidia card as being active.

redfive

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Do you have the issue only with VLC, or even with a web browser ?

Captain_B

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I also have the "stutter" issue as well but I use a Dahua NVR instead of BI and a computer. The issue is from the 4k cameras going through the fiber optic back to the house from a garage 200 yards away. The 1 gig fiber optic convertor goes into the router that feeds the NVR. I suspect the router is the choke point, how can I bypass the router/modem and go direct to the NVR?