What bullet camera and Turret camera has best detailed picture quality?

sunny0101786

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm kind of confused between so many cameras. I'm about to buy IPC-HDW5842T-ZE Z-S3 and IPC-HFW71242H-Z-X 12MP. I need more detailed picture quality during the day.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So you do not care about nighttime performance at all?

Neither one of those cameras are on the ideal MP/sensor ratio so it will suffer in lower light.

1706324360024.png

Keep in mind that focal length (optical zoom) is much more important than MP.

For example, if I need to IDENTIFY an object at 50 feet, I will take a 2MP camera with a focal length of 34mm over a 12MP 2.8mm camera ALL DAY LONG.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Basically nothing new has hit the market since you asked basically the same question in August:

steve1225

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm kind of confused between so many cameras. I'm about to buy IPC-HDW5842T-ZE Z-S3 and IPC-HFW71242H-Z-X 12MP. I need more detailed picture quality during the day.
You selected top highest megapixel varifocal cameras. Best of the best in Dahua catalog.

Both are very good at day, but they will not be the best at night.

Too many pixels vs image sensor size - pixel sizes are not the best.

Question - what is more important to You - only image in day or day and night performance?

if night performance is also important to You - then varifocal 5442 models (4mpx) are now best solution on market. You can also buy 7442 models - but 2x price difference will not give you even 30% better image (they use the same image sensor, only more open aperture in optics and more specialized AI modes are difference).

Second question - for what purpose you want that cameras, where you want to mount and what area should they record?

third question - what best image means exactly for you?

ps. axis have 10mpx camera with biggest on the market 4/3" sensor, taken from profesional video cameras - AXIS Q1798-LE Network Camera | Axis Communications and Canon optics.
Tt can give best image at day/night, but this is old model (2017?) and have very old analytics... plus big price..

sunny0101786

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You selected top highest megapixel varifocal cameras. Best of the best in Dahua catalog.

Both are very good at day, but they will not be the best at night.

Too many pixels vs image sensor size - pixel sizes are not the best.

Question - what is more important to You - only image in day or day and night performance?

if night performance is also important to You - then varifocal 5442 models (4mpx) are now best solution on market. You can also buy 7442 models - but 2x price difference will not give you even 30% better image (they use the same image sensor, only more open aperture in optics and more specialized AI modes are difference).

Second question - for what purpose you want that cameras, where you want to mount and what area should they record?

third question - what best image means exactly for you?

ps. axis have 10mpx camera with biggest on the market 4/3" sensor, taken from profesional video cameras - AXIS Q1798-LE Network Camera | Axis Communications and Canon optics.
Tt can give best image at day/night, but this is old model (2017?) and have very old analytics... plus big price..
where this sits with 5442?
Dahua IPC-Color4K-X / DH-IPC-HFW5894T1-ASE-LED

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Many find the 5442 to be better.

The 8MP cameras on the 1/1.2" sensor really show how these cameras are not infinity focus and the 8MPs have a very shallow depth of focus range (like in the 15 to 18 foot range) and anything closer or further than that distance will be soft or blurry.

So to many, we use an 8MP on the 1/1.2" sensor as an overview camera to capture color at night and rely on other cameras for IDENTIFY capabilities.

The 4K/X isn't as obvious as the 4K/T, but it is there.

That is why you need to decide what your goals are and then get the right camera for the job. Chasing MP isn't usually the answer.

sunny0101786

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
couldn't find anyone has reviewed IPC-HDW5842T-ZE-S3. extra RAM & ROM made any difference or not?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
couldn't find anyone has reviewed IPC-HDW5842T-ZE-S3. extra RAM & ROM made any difference or not?
There is a review of the Z4E, which is the ZE except with more zoom. You will see the limitations we talk about. The extra RAM&ROM is a non-starter and shouldn't be used as a deciding factor. Performance at night is the critical component.

steve1225

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

You are a strange person.
You want to get help from forum members, but when someone ask You questions about purpose / installation parameters, you simply ignore that :)
Not first time, from what I see in Your history posts / threads :)

But OK.
Color4K-X/T (aka 5849 models) are full color 8 Mpx cameras with even bigger sensor (1/1.2") and maximum opened aperture (F1.0). They are only available with fixed lens (2.8mm, 3.6mm, 6.0mm), no zoom / varifocal options and only with white light.

They are very good OVERVIEW cameras. They create very detailed picture. Night performance can be little better that 5442-S3...

But those cameras have flaws:
The biggest flaw - due very big sensor and maximum open aperture this camera have very shallow depth of field. It creates something called 'bokeh' effect (Bokeh - Wikipedia). Object at specific distance from camera are optically sharp, but everything that is closer or farther is soft and blurry.

This is not a flaw done by Dahua! This is part of physics & optics laws / rules!

Profesional cameras (DSLR / mirror-less) from Sony/Canon/Nikon with big sensors/open apertures gives this effect to create nice portrait pictures - people in first plan are sharp, background is soft.

But in CCTV world we want to have sharp all objects at different distances - in first plan and in background. And this those cameras don't deliver.

There is limited zoom options - 2.8mm fixed optics will give You very wide (110 degree horizontal) field of view. But everything at distance (like 10 meters) will be small / compressed in image. You can choose 3.6 or 6.0mm optics to little narrow field of view - but this is overview camera - to observe. Not for identify people/object at distance. As I told before very limited zoom options.

This camera (as all Full color cameras) are using lots of digital sharpening and WDR-like effect - to hide problems with limited depth of field. Some people like this effect (lots of details), some not (image looks digital).

This camera don't see in infrared - so require some light in scene.

If you want super wide digital sharp high 8 megapixel overview image with best night performance - this is camera for You. But remember about flaws...

And read threads about those models - people show what beautiful overview images it creates. And what problems they have with those models.

Worlds First Review - Dahua - IPC-Color4K-X / DH-IPC-HFW5849T1-ASE-LED - Full Color 4K Camera
Worlds First Review - Dahua DH-IPC-HDW5849H-ASE-LED / IPC-Color4K-T - 2.8mm Turret

Last edited:

sunny0101786

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Last year I bought this house and I was able to move in this month because of the tenants were living in my house. That's why I was inquiring about the cameras last year. Now I have bit of clear picture of the camera installation location. I'm attaching the location for turret camera.

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I don't see a lot of outside lights on that house, so a full color 4K camera would not be right choice unless you are willing to use the built in white LED, which most don't because it screams camera LOL and attracts bugs.

steve1225

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Last year I bought this house and I was able to move in this month because of the tenants were living in my house. That's why I was inquiring about the cameras last year. Now I have bit of clear picture of the camera installation location. I'm attaching the location for turret camera.
not so good place - camera will see left / right wall. You must go to front

sunny0101786

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I don't see a lot of outside lights on that house, so a full color 4K camera would not be right choice unless you are willing to use the built in white LED, which most don't because it screams camera LOL and attracts bugs.
I'm planning to install some fancy solar lights. Light is not an issue. On my street in December last year few cars were vandalized. I want all sorts of security to my house including sensors etc.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Will fancy solar lights run all night? Could they be dead by the time a 4am perp comes by?

You would be surprised how much light these little sensors need.

Keep in mind that ANY camera can look great with little light and make midnight look like noon for a static image - but that is a wide open slow shutter.

We don't care about static images - we care about a clean capture of a perp at night.

The faster the shutter, the more light is needed.

So once you go to a 1/120s shutter to get a clean capture, you then don't have enough light for that purpose.

sunny0101786

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
not so good place - camera will see left / right wall. You must go to front
I need to choose the right camera for this location
Will fancy solar lights run all night? Could they be dead by the time a 4am perp comes by?

You would be surprised how much light these little sensors need.

Keep in mind that ANY camera can look great with little light and make midnight look like noon - but that is a wide open slow shutter.

The faster the shutter, the more light is needed.

So once you go to a 1/120s shutter to get a clean capture, you then don't have enough light for that purpose.
I'll install better lights that isn't a big problem. Picking up a right camera is an important.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
And for most the 5442 series represents the best overall camera.

At first you said all you care about is daytime.

Now you talk about vandals and adding solar lights for night time performance.

Unless you can provide stadium quality lighting and cause planes to want to land on your house LOL, you need to quit dorking around on looking at higher MP cameras and stick with cameras that are tried and true and proven on the ideal MP/sensor ratio, along with cameras with the proper focal length for the area you want to IDENTIFY. In some cases that may be 2MP.

1706378954269.png

So in your case the 5442 cameras in fixed lens, appropriate varifocal (ZE and Z4E) and a 4K for overview are your right cameras.

sunny0101786

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
And for most the 5442 series represents the best overall camera.

At first you said all you care about is daytime.

Now you talk about vandals and adding solar lights for night time performance.

Unless you can provide stadium quality lighting and cause planes to want to land on your house LOL, you need to quit dorking around on looking at higher MP cameras and stick with cameras that are tried and true and proven on the ideal MP/sensor ratio, along with cameras with the proper focal length for the area you want to IDENTIFY. In some cases that may be 2MP.

View attachment 184409
Because I'm not going to have any light issue lol! I have plans to install bright lights auto on at evening time.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Our long time resident camera expert Wildcat ran the Dahua 4K/X 8MP 1/1.2" sensor thru its paces. Keep in mind this 4K/X camera is incredible, but it has a purpose.

He had the 3.6mm version and here is the screenshot from 40 feet in the ideal daylight, which based on DORI numbers is the supposed IDENTIFY distance for this camera with the 3.6mm lens and I think most of would agree that this is not IDENTIFY quality, even if digitally zoomed in (thus showing similar to LUX numbers that DORI numbers are estimates and a manufacturer can make it whatever they want and personally I found they need to be cut in half or more and even more for nighttime):

1656994122348.png

While I have an 8MP on the 1/1.2" sensor for an overview camera and to provide IDENTIFY within 10-15 feet of the camera, I also use varifocals zoomed in to pinch points and other areas of interest at a further distance out. Here is a snapshot from my 2MP set to the appropriate focal length to actually IDENTIFY at 40 feet.

guyAT40feet.jpg

Which one of the two images gives you the best option to IDENTIFY the person? I think most will agree the 2MP optically zoomed over the 8MP...