what baud rate is best?

Reaction score
been chasing stuttering video issues and someone suggested I increase the baud rate for the cameras

wpiman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
been chasing stuttering video issues and someone suggested I increase the baud rate for the cameras
Baud is the symbol rate of a communication carrier. You can have between 1 and some number of bits per symbol. That doesn't really apply to IP cameras as the L1/2 comm channel is obfuscated away (ie. usually is ethernet) ALTHOUGH some PTZs have a serial port which controls the pointing of the camera via RS-232 or RS-485. Those have baud settings, but won't help with your stuttering.

You cameras probably connect at 100mbps to the switch. If you got a bunch of cameras on one end of switch, the ethernet pipe getting back might be saturated, but that would be a lot of cameras...
Describe your setup more and people might be able to help.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Baud is the symbol rate of a communication carrier. You can have between 1 and some number of bits per symbol. That doesn't really apply to IP cameras as the L1/2 comm channel is obfuscated away (ie. usually is ethernet) ALTHOUGH some PTZs have a serial port which controls the pointing of the camera via RS-232 or RS-485. Those had baud settings, but won't help with your stuttering.

You cameras probably connect at 100mbps to the switch. If you got a bunch of cameras on one end of switch, the ethernet pipe getting back might be saturated, but that would be a lot of cameras...
Describe your setup more and people might be able to help.
thank you for helping
there are 4 cameras on a NETGEAR 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged PoE Switch (GS108PP) on one side of the drive and 4 more cameras on another identical switch on the other side of the driveway that go to the main camera switch netgear GS324TP which has 6 cameras on it with another 3 cameras coming from the GS108PP switch in the shed.
that main POE switch goes over to the main switch a netgear GS724t that goes to the netgear blackhawk 10 router than to the Comcast business class modem.

I had good video until I attempted to use AI to keep the false alerts to a minimum.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
You had to be a little careful with those setup strings. I traveled a lot for a job back then. One night I was in a hotel where you needed to dial 9 to get an outside line. So in the dialing prefix I put in 9 and 1 for long distance forgetting that I already had the 1 in the number directory entry. And of course had auto-retry turned on and sound turned down. Sooo... the way that all worked out was that I was dialing 911, 911, 911, 911, over and over and over... Cops came banging on the door . :smash:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Here is the original Hayes 300 baud smartmodem.

View attachment 171703
Yeah, those were the defacto standard back then, all the governments I worked for required them but I used Zoom Telephonics for years personally because I could not afford the Hayes! U.S. Robotics ran a close second for me.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Years ago I used to work for a small software house that used servers which came with 1200 baud modems for remote diagnostics and boy I used to look at them with envy trying to imagine what the perf must be like when compared to the modem I had at home at the time which was something like 300 baud.

I think my mind was officially blown when they then started shipping 2400 baud modems.