What are these objects in sky?

guykuo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
This is from an eastward facing camera at about 4:00 AM. I noticed a couple slow moving objects moving vertically downward and thought satellite. Then, I noticed there were multiple when scrubbing through the video. Did a time lapse of about 30 minutes and found so many that I have a hard time believing they are satellites. The horizontally traveling ones I assume are planes, but look at the right portion of view during the time lapse.

Watch directly on YouTube at 4K to see best.

Do we really have THAT many satellites in orbit?

guykuo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Now that I know they are satellites, something else makes sense in how they appear. Earlier in the time lapse, their initial appearance is lower to horizon. Sunlight is further east and lower where they leave earth shadow. As we rotate eastward, towards the sunlight, the satellites hit the sunlight further and further up the camera frame.

I feel giddy as a kid realizing I'm seeing that effect.

Reaction score
You will think you are being invaded when you see a train of just released Starlinks!
It can take a fist length against the sky easily. (Arm held out and a fist used as a measure)
Seen it one time, it’s quite the sight. Imagine what people in areas that have never even heard of a satellite are thinking as they go by.
Not quite as cool but still amazes me how they can tell you when, where to look, and how long it will be visible is the space station going over.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Yup definitely satellites and it is only going to get more numerous in the near term (next several years).

I'm surprised the satellites are so bright next to the landscape which is relatively dark. When I see satellites on my Color4K-X they don't stick out that much and the landscape is usually quite a bit brighter.

StevenFromTexas

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
That's an amazing video. Sure will be easy for the aliens to sneak in to snatch some humans for experiments before releasing them back to Planet Earth on a dark unlit road out in the middle of nowhere. Reminds me of the National Enquirer tabloid back in the 1960s and 1970s. I used to buy one at the grocery store checkout on occasion. Cheap entertainment and very creative writers. ;)

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This is from an eastward facing camera at about 4:00 AM. I noticed a couple slow moving objects moving vertically downward and thought satellite. Then, I noticed there were multiple when scrubbing through the video. Did a time lapse of about 30 minutes and found so many that I have a hard time believing they are satellites. The horizontally traveling ones I assume are planes, but look at the right portion of view during the time lapse.

just Starlink .. reportedly has 5,827 up now ..

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score

I guess you aren't in Ukraine.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Sounds like @Ri22o LOL. Actually I have taken some of my older cams and pointed to the sky as well when I replaced them with better cams LOL.

guykuo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Getting things tuned properly will need a more clear night, but a break in clouds let me catch a few stars. This is going to a lot of fun.

So, strange to see the blue sky and stars at same time. Tonight is 49% moon. I should have realized the atmosphere would have same Tyndall effect on moonlight as it does on sunlight. It's just too dim for our eyes to see it.

This is near 20:00 with shutter set at 200 msec.

With gamma adjustment in export

Last edited:

guykuo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Sky capture settings are useless for my usual security needs requiring clarity during motion, but like License Plate Capture, I can see where specialized camera settings are needed.
Still having way too much fun with the new toy. One of these cameras is not like the others (simultaneous previews in SecuritySpy web interface)

Screenshot 2024-02-18 at 00.57.23.jpg

guykuo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Super cloudy tonight. So, no star captures, but it was a nice chance to compare the light sensitivity of 2019 Starvis SD49225T-HN 2MP PTZ with the IP-Color4KT. Both are set for 250 msec shutter. No illuminator on either camera. I would say sensor technology has moved forward. We used to think the SD49225T-HN nigh sensitivity was phenomenal.

SD49225T-HN 2MP PTZ.jpg

IPC Color 4KT.jpg

Puts into perspective why I'm limiting how hard I should work at fixing my dying SD49225's. A more modern PTZ5A4M-25X 1/1.8" will likely to blow away my old PTZ's. Course, it's twice the cost the SD49225 were. I kind of suspect their life expectancy is going to turn out to be around six years as well. On the other hand, if it turns out the little memory battery issue is the main reason my SD49225's are dying, then that same design decision/weakness could be equally fixable in the newer PTZ5A4M-25X. I guess I do test if more of my Alzheimer PTZ's are fixed by replacing their memory battery.

Last edited: