What are some of the better bullet cameras

botics

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Can you give me some guidance on which bullet camera I should go with in terms for a residential install for myself.

Upon reading the cliff notes and wiki I see a lot of 2MP starlight models recommend however should I take a look at a higher resolution bullet?

I will be using BI. Thanks

Last edited:

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Dahua has a series of cameras (bullets and domes only at this point) that use a bigger 8MP 1/1.8" sensor that is a lot closer to 2MP Starlight low-light performance than the older 8MP 1/2.5" sensor models. If you search for '1831' (fixed lens) or '2831' (varifocal) on their international website, they should pull up. Note that the 1831C-PIR model uses the older 1/2.5" sensor...

As soon as they have a turret model, I'm going to upgrade a few of my 2MP Starlight turrets.

botics

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Should I go with 2MP starlight bullets or look for higher resolution? Yet, instead of bullet cameras around my home should I go with turrets instead?

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Should I go with 2MP starlight bullets or look for higher resolution? Yet, instead of bullet cameras around my home should I go with turrets instead?
@botics, as @aristobrat mentions, a lot of us are waiting to see if Dahua puts the 1/1.8" into turrets and what that may look like in terms of what more they can squeeze from that sensor/optics bundle. With that said a combination of higher resolution (1831/2831) for overview and 2MP Starlights like the 5231's for up close / ID functionality is generally your best bet. Unless you have other specific needs such as LPR, PTZ coverage areas etc then as I mentioned, Starlights + a few higher res for overview (or ID where you can get super tight image and control the lighting well).

The bullet vs turret comes down to installation area, application AND your personal preference. You also have the opportunity of gaining audio with turrets such as the 5231 if that is important to you / needed for your installation.

HTH

botics

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks helps. For a PTZ should I install a 12/24 volt transformer to run power... reading that separate power is a great idea.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks helps. For a PTZ should I install a 12/24 volt transformer to run power... reading that separate power is a great idea.
why would separate power be a great idea. It is not needed unless you need more power than poe+.