Well this is wonderful

goneracin

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
i live in the middle of nowhere. nearest neighbor is 1/2 mile away. Today we go in the shop and my wife says the trailer had something fall from inside and poke a hole. I look.
No thats a fucking bullet hole.
Sure enough.
through the shop wall and both walls of the trailer. i found the 9mm projectile. Glad it didnt hit the gas tank on my malibu, it went right under it.
looking at the trajectory, someone was right at the edge of my property (100 yards) or maybe a little farther and shot. Im guessing at a bird or someshit, idk.
Formerly mint condition trailer with a hole. well 4 holes (both interior and exterior walls)
Out here, you dont want to FA as you will FO
IMG-1837.jpgIMG-1833.jpgIMG-1834.jpg

goneracin

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have no proof of it, but i know where it came from, i should say who it came from
Ill have a nice conversation later with them
They are actually decent people, im guessing someone made a stupid mistake and didnt adhere to rule #1
From the trajectory i can estimate the distance
it wasnt a ricochet because it didnt keyhole
the scary part is about 50 yards past there is where my wife sits to watch tv so if they messed up a little higher, that could have been really bad

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
A laser pointer could help you follow the trajectory with more precision.

A disturbing number of people seem to have no concept of what's a safe backstop or how far different types of bullets can travel. I've come across a couple idiots who decided the top of a hill was a good place to shoot from. Of course there are also the idiots who shoot at rocks and start wildfires. We have a few too many one star state transplants and reckless idiots inspired by youtube.

If you don't mind, I'm curious what county you're in.

Did you call the sheriff?
It never hurts to have a paper trail on this sort of thing and let the sheriff talk to them.

Last edited:

goneracin

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
A laser pointer could help you follow the trajectory with more precision.

A disturbing number of people seem to have no concept of what's a safe backstop or how far different types of bullets can travel. I've come across a couple idiots who decided the top of a hill was a good place to shoot from. Of course there are also the idiots who shoot at rocks and start wildfires. We have a few too many one star state transplants and reckless idiots inspired by youtube.

If you don't mind, I'm curious what county you're in.

Did you call the sheriff?
It never hurts to have a paper trail on this sort of thing and let the sheriff talk to them.
are you in CO?
I cant really call the sheriff as i have zero proof of who, i just have a pretty good idea of who

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have no proof of it, but i know where it came from, i should say who it came from
Ill have a nice conversation later with them
They are actually decent people, im guessing someone made a stupid mistake and didnt adhere to rule #1
From the trajectory i can estimate the distance
it wasnt a ricochet because it didnt keyhole
the scary part is about 50 yards past there is where my wife sits to watch tv so if they messed up a little higher, that could have been really bad
If you do decide to not report it to LEO and to go have a talk with them, be sure to take someone trustworthy with you to hear what is said....:cool:

goneracin

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If you do decide to not report it to LEO and to go have a talk with them, be sure to take someone trustworthy with you to hear what is said....:cool:
Im going to bring it up like
"hey we need to keep an eye out for people who might go into this field who dont belong, as i had my building and trailer pierced by a 9mm, and i found the slug in my shop
they had to be within about 100-150 yards from my building based on the angle"
will get my point without accusing them

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
An audio recording wouldn't hurt either, CO is a one party state.
are you in CO?
I cant really call the sheriff as i have zero proof of who, i just have a pretty good idea of who
yes, in the metro area but spend quite a bit of time in other parts of the state. I was mostly curious about the terrain (mountains / plains) / rough part of the state / how close you are to national forest.

You can call the sheriff and let them know a stray bullet hit your property, just don't tell them who you think it was let them figure it out. It is true that you can't control how seriously / thoroughly they'd investigate

Last edited:

goneracin

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
An audio recording wouldn't hurt either, CO is a one party state.

yes, in the metro area but spend quite a bit of time in other parts of the state. I was mostly curious about the terrain (mountains / plains) / rough part of the state / how close you are to national forest.

You can call the sheriff and let them know a straw bullet hit your property, just don't tell them who you think it was let them figure it out. It is true that you can't control how seriously / thoroughly they'd investigate
im northeast of denver in weld

Reaction score
It might be a smart thing to report it to the sheriff. Get it documented. There might have been other 'things' that happened around there that may have a bearing on your problem.

You also do not want the sheriff coming by with questions about some other incident and then they notice the bullet hole and now you are in a situation where you have to explain it. Saying that it happened some time ago or any other explanation may not appease the law. It just might cause you a lot of distress, wasted time, needless lawyer involvement, etc.

Reaction score
It might be a smart thing to report it to the sheriff. Get it documented. There might have been other 'things' that happened around there that may have a bearing on your problem.

You also do not want the sheriff coming by with questions about some other incident and then they notice the bullet hole and now you are in a situation where you have to explain it. Saying that it happened some time ago or any other explanation may not appease the law. It just might cause you a lot of distress, wasted time, needless lawyer involvement, etc.
Well said. Cover your '6' and pad the future.