Well, that was no fun at all!

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
I do a metal finishing operation for a product that I make using a big ass Baldor buffer. Been doing this every day for +25 years. Got careless today and caught the edge of the part. Wheel threw it right back into my face at whatever force a 1 HP buffer spinning at 3600 RPM generates. Hit me so hard that things went black for a moment and all that I could hear was ringing. Now I have nice deep 5" slice across my forehead. Looks like somebody took a machete to my face. Probably need some stitches but closed it up enough I think with some butterfly bandages. I really thought that it was going to be worse. One of those things where you're kind of afraid to look to see how bad it is.

Moral of the story, don't get lazy with your tools. Stuff like that happens so fast you don't even know that it happened until it's too late and you're bleeding all over the place.

Funny part is that bounced of my hard ass head and landed about 20' out in the yard. lol

Jim I.

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I do a metal finishing operation for a product that I make using a big ass Baldor buffer. Been doing this every day for +25 years. Got careless today and caught the edge of the part. Wheel threw it right back into my face at whatever force a 1 HP buffer spinning at 3600 RPM generates. Hit me so hard that things went black for a moment and all that I could hear was ringing. Now I have nice deep 5" slice across my forehead. Looks like somebody took a machete to my face. Probably need some stitches but closed it up enough I think with some butterfly bandages. I really thought that it was going to be worse. One of those things where you're kind of afraid to look to see how bad it is.

Moral of the story, don't get lazy with your tools. Stuff like that happens so fast you don't even know that it happened until it's too late and you're bleeding all over the place.

Funny part is that bounced of my hard ass head and landed about 20' out in the yard. lol
Glad it wasn't any worse than it was. Hopefully you don't have a concussion. I've had my share of accidents and injuries working on cars for 40+ years.
Things can change in a blink of an eye.

Reaction score

JDreaming

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
A cautionary tale for all of us. Glad you are still able to post after such a scary accident.

But make sure the wound is clean to prevent infection of the cut area. Sometimes even a small
cut can cause big problems if bacteria gets in there.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Face wounds tend to heal well due to plenty of blood supply. A few stitches would probably result in less of a scar, if the butterflies don't hold there's always super glue. Sounds like a hard enough impact a skull fracture isn't out of the question depending on the mass of the part.

I had a nasty head injury many years ago, concussion, skull fracture, CSF leak, and 20 hours gone from my memory. If you find yourself experiencing a clear runny nose or salty post nasal drip (CSF leak) or orthostatic headache post head injury do seek medical care.
Also a good idea to make sure your pupils remain equal and reactive for the next 24 hrs (lack of being a sign of something more emergent).

Last edited:

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm OK. Cleaned it up good and the butterflies seem to be holding things together. Will be a little sore and have people looking at me strange for a while with a big slash across my face. And I was so damn pretty! ; )

Just feel dumb for getting careless. Got to be routine and I stopped being afraid of the thing. But not going to do that part anymore. Was always a little sketchy.

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
As @tangent and @Mike I pointed out, seeing a doctor would be a good idea.

Speaking as someone who has had several head injuries, often resulting in concussions/traumatic brain injuries, these things can sneak up on you and you have no idea.

10 years ago or so, I hit my head and needed staples. The hospital sent me home despite me telling the doctor that "I felt pressure behind my eyes". I was back in the ER a week later as things were "foggy". I'd had a minor brain bleed from the accident.

Fortunately, I'm fine now but the next two months were foggy.

I hate to sound like someone's nagging mother, but see a doctor. Cuts heal better with stitches or staples and if you have suffered a fracture and/or TBI, this visit may save your life or at least your quality of life.

In any case, get better soon. These things happen but it's never nice when it does.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
In the excitement I forgot that I'd have it on cam. Against my better judgement I'll post as a lesson not to be a dumbass like me...

"I'll just clean this up a little."

Accident1Screenshot 2023-06-13 125403.png

"Hey, where'd it go?"

Accident2Screenshot 2023-06-13 125526.png

"There it is!"

Accident3Screenshot 2023-06-13 125652.png

A chunk of the convolute wheel that got chopped off is in the air at the top.

Accident4Screenshot 2023-06-13 125907.png

Part is moving too fast for the cam to catch it. Never see it. The blur in the second pic is abrasive dust from the wheel when it caught the edge. The wheel generates a ton of super-fine abrasive and metal dust which is why I do that outside there. Third pic you can see the first drops of blood just above my eye. Hit my head and then went down and bounced off of the concrete out into the yard.

Gimmons

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm OK. Cleaned it up good and the butterflies seem to be holding things together. Will be a little sore and have people looking at me strange for a while with a big slash across my face. And I was so damn pretty! ; )

Just feel dumb for getting careless. Got to be routine and I stopped being afraid of the thing. But not going to do that part anymore. Was always a little sketchy.
In the 31+ years that I did what I did, mostly in the roadway and usually elevated and ALWAYS with power on, I learned early through observation and talking to seasoned power line workers this factoid.....the ones that generally get hurt are either brand new at it and don't know any better or are the long-time veterans that get too used to it, take shortcuts and become complacent. :cool:

I know my still being on this orb is none of my doing, it's the grace of my Lord and Savior.

Glad you're still with us, my man. You've been granted a stay, make good use of it.