weird issue -BI stops recoring every nigh, for a few hours... never exactly the same time though

JayBart

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I recently revived an older BI server that was in storage -- was workign fine for years. On windows 10, the hardware, while old, is more than capable -- an intel 6950x, 64gig ram, paired with a 1080ti. I'm running 9 dhaua cameras, with 4x 18tb barracudas.
I updated BI to the latest, found the cameras with no problem, but every night -- around 9 or 10, sometimes a little earlier, sometimes a little later, there's a blank spot in the recording time that lasts 1-3 hrs. BI will be running fine, just nothing recording.
The drive it's saving to is fine. Quoatas are disabled. the cpu ius running at around 30% load.
Any ideas?
I'm likely going to just do a fresh install, but any thoughts appreciated.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Check the log?

Do you have a database rebuild scheduled for around that time?

JayBart

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
no, database rebuild is set for 2am.
where do I access the log?

JayBart

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
ok, so last night I have a hole bewteen 9:30pm and 4:30am this morning. The earliest entry for some reason is at 10:32 pm. looks like there may have been a restart, I have an info event that nvidia hardware detected, and a minute later started version 5.8.0.8. Nothing before that, though recording stopped almost an hour earlier.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Click on Open file at the bottom of the log window that comes up and you'll get a more detailed, running view with the tail events at the bottom. Can back up from there and look around the time in question.

ETA: Cross-posted as you were replying. Sounds like maybe something with the video card? I had a problem at one point when the driver for my video card was updating and had some error. Maybe check for something related to that. Disable hardware acceleration. Maybe try to do a manual update of the driver. Might even take the card out of the equation if you can and see if that stops it.

Last edited:

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
If your BI is updated to the latest and greatest...there is a chance it might be that?
Maybe try a slightly older update and see how it behaves....I'm running 5.7.5.2 ( 4/22/2023)
works good.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
"there is no file to open"
Hmmm... never seen that one. How about Open folder? You should see it open to BlueIris/log with a list of log files by month with naming as 202308.txt, 202309.txt, 202310.txt, etc.

JayBart

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I just updated yesterday, was running a 5.7 something for a week or so. Been trying to deal with this for over two weeks now.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
By default it doesn't save. You have to check the little box to save the log file.
Ahhh... that's right. Running that way so long I forgot that box was there. Good catch.

JayBart

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
ok, so put this in the bucket of "I'm a dumbass".
most of the cameras are set up to record when triggered, not continuous. so every night, around 9is until around 3 am ish, no recordings, becuase.. no trigger.

duh.