Weird DAHUA PTZ tracking / IVS sample

serger

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello, I am getting really frustrated by the DAHUA tracking software as available in many of their PTZ cams. For any reason when a line is crossed by a subject triggering auto tracking the camera starts rotating undefinitely. I updated System firmware to the last realease, tried many different configurations (contrast / definition etc) without success. I have been able to limit up/down excursion with PTZ Limit function but DAHUA does not provide a general left/ right limit in their setup (only available in Scan modeas "Left Limit / Right Limit")but unused in "track mode".

I posted on sample. I have many in different places, different ligthing situations (day/night) and so far have been unable to avoid this crazy behavior. I would really appreciate some help / ideas here or a fix from DAHUA for sure !

PTZ1A225U-IRA-N
System Version : V2.623.0000000.17.R.E4.2512.9A.NR, Build Date: 2019-01-19
PTZ Version: V2.300.0000000.8.RHNAB_170829_23879

Anyone aware of a PTZ firmware update ? The latest system firmware update (2019-01-19) is quite recent while the PTZ firmware seems quite outdated if 170829 translates to 2017-08-29 ???

Attachments

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I don't have your PTZ camera but I had a Dahua PTZ in the past. Like you I hoped for a left/right limit but it never came.

Try a hard reset (remove power, hold reset button during power up). Don't give your PTZ too much to do. Give it one preset to run IVS events and let it run 24/7 rather than schedule on/off periods. Doing this stopped the autotracking from getting squirrely on occasion. Also, you can't completely disable motion detection (you can uncheck it, but if you log off and back on, you'll see it's rechecked). The way around this is to delete all motion areas and leave it enabled. If you need motion detection and autotracking, try using Blue Iris for the motion detection portion. Some Dahua's IVS will work with Blue Iris, others not.

serger

n3wb
Reaction score
I don't have your PTZ camera but I had a Dahua PTZ in the past. Like you I hoped for a left/right limit but it never came.

Try a hard reset (remove power, hold reset button during power up). Don't give your PTZ too much to do. Give it one preset to run IVS events and let it run 24/7 rather than schedule on/off periods. Doing this stopped the autotracking from getting squirrely on occasion. Also, you can't completely disable motion detection (you can uncheck it, but if you log off and back on, you'll see it's rechecked). The way around this is to delete all motion areas and leave it enabled. If you need motion detection and autotracking, try using Blue Iris for the motion detection portion. Some Dahua's IVS will work with Blue Iris, others not.
Thank you for this. I did that but no changes so far... The auto tracking / IVS software is buggy. I doubt Blue Iris can pilot tracking... Motion detection for sure but object tracking how would you do that ?

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
BI can't autotrack...what you have in the video is as good as you're going to get with autotracking. BI's ptz section allows you to setup a motion detection at each preset if you want, but it won't autotrack when motion is detected.

serger

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks a lot @Cameraguy for the video and BI explanation. It's crystal clear.
My current PTZ1A225U-IRA-N behaves quite the same with same settings. The only difference is that when an subject enters in the protected zone,
the camera starts tracking but goes crazy very often (not always but at least 2/3 of the times).
When tracking starts, the tracking speed is approx 3 times faster than the subject movement (going in the same initial direction). Then the cam looses subject focus and goes for full 360°
rotations until it reaches the tracking delay limit.
This does not happen when the subject is big and moving slowly (car, human, close to the cam) but It goes systematically crazy when the subject is medium size (cat, dog) and moves faster.
Same behavior in IR conditions by night.

In addition to SW reset I tried also different contrast, iris, etc settings, but no luck. Same behavior when IVS off and "intelligent tracking" on. No luck.

I hope DAHUA will at least provide a left/right movement limit as they do for the up/dow limit. This would probably help mitigate the problem.
Even better, for a brand like these they should fix the PTZ auto tracking firmware part (I am not alone with these issues).
I think it has to do with correct subject size and speed identificationin initial stages of the detection. But we have no access to DAHUA engineers or support and we are probably too small
to count for them !

Other options for us would be to find "open software" cameras where people can modifiy their software / creat add-ons or to find a way to manage auto-tracking from a computer, but i fear
latency issues may give us some real problems to developp such a function on the computer side.

I am disapointed becausei like the Starlight cameras for night vision. They are clrearly above the pack for nightvision. But auto tracking is a mess...

I will try the SD59225U-HNI IVS/Auto tracking in one month. Hope it will behave better ! I will let you know.
Best Regards.
Serge

Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks a lot @Cameraguy for the video and BI explanation. It's crystal clear.
My current PTZ1A225U-IRA-N behaves quite the same with same settings. The only difference is that when an subject enters in the protected zone,
the camera starts tracking but goes crazy very often (not always but at least 2/3 of the times).
When tracking starts, the tracking speed is approx 3 times faster than the subject movement (going in the same initial direction). Then the cam looses subject focus and goes for full 360°
rotations until it reaches the tracking delay limit.
This does not happen when the subject is big and moving slowly (car, human, close to the cam) but It goes systematically crazy when the subject is medium size (cat, dog) and moves faster.
Same behavior in IR conditions by night.

In addition to SW reset I tried also different contrast, iris, etc settings, but no luck. Same behavior when IVS off and "intelligent tracking" on. No luck.

I hope DAHUA will at least provide a left/right movement limit as they do for the up/dow limit. This would probably help mitigate the problem.
Even better, for a brand like these they should fix the PTZ auto tracking firmware part (I am not alone with these issues).
I think it has to do with correct subject size and speed identificationin initial stages of the detection. But we have no access to DAHUA engineers or support and we are probably too small
to count for them !

Other options for us would be to find "open software" cameras where people can modifiy their software / creat add-ons or to find a way to manage auto-tracking from a computer, but i fear
latency issues may give us some real problems to developp such a function on the computer side.

I am disapointed becausei like the Starlight cameras for night vision. They are clrearly above the pack for nightvision. But auto tracking is a mess...

I will try the SD59225U-HNI IVS/Auto tracking in one month. Hope it will behave better ! I will let you know.
Best Regards.
Serge
Play with zoom speed and ptz speed too

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
And if you're so inclined, you can use a Dahua fixed camera to "tell" the PTZ where to go...you'll need extra hardware but there's quite a few discussions about it on this forum.

serger

n3wb
Reaction score
And if you're so inclined, you can use a Dahua fixed camera to "tell" the PTZ where to go...you'll need extra hardware but there's quite a few discussions about it on this forum.
ok thanks good idea, I have many fixed cams, can you elaborate a little ? Which type of hardware ?

serger

n3wb
Reaction score
And here's another reference for you. You'll need a Dahua NVR: Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)
OK thank you very much @beepsilver , I'll work on this as well. It may take some time to get the hardware and the new cam I just ordered. Keep you posted. Note however that
I am still frustrated by the fact that their "out of the box" auto-tracking does not work as expected. So I am also considering other brands. If any of you now brands that work or
opensourced cameras I am highly interested.

Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score
OK thank you very much @beepsilver , I'll work on this as well. It may take some time to get the hardware and the new cam I just ordered. Keep you posted. Note however that
I am still frustrated by the fact that their "out of the box" auto-tracking does not work as expected. So I am also considering other brands. If any of you now brands that work or
opensourced cameras I am highly interested.
Not sure if it's the firmware or the user settings but I have 2 59225 and both track very well.. I have a wide open clear area tho

serger

n3wb
Reaction score
Not sure if it's the firmware or the user settings but I have 2 59225 and both track very well.. I have a wide open clear area tho
I have the PTZ1A225U-IRA-N. It seems to be exactly the same software and internal hardware but a different PTZ mechanics thans the SD59225U-HNI. I will have the 59225 for extensive testing
very soon and will do some comparisons. Hope it will work as expected ! Anyways thanks a lot for your contributions, all. It helps me a lot to move forward. Best .