Weird artifact showing on Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-ZE

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
I haven't had this camera mounted very long but noticed this weird artifact this morning. Normally, I would not have seen this because usually by the time I look at the cameras the girlfriend has driven the Mercedes to work and doesn't return until after dark. As you can see, it's the same color as the driveway and I assure you there isn't a hole in the vehicle. When I first saw this I walked out to get it because I thought she had left something sitting on the vehicle. Then when I went outside there was nothing there. So I put a bottle of laundry detergent approximately where I thought the anomaly was and you can see in the second picture the artifact is there under the bottle's reflection.

Explanations please....

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Is it picking up the reflection of the (concrete?) post at the end of the drive? Try putting the bottle or something else on top of that.

WoodenTop

n3wb
Reaction score
Something reflecting off the house opposite? Can't tell on this phone but looks like you can see the roof line of the opposite house on the car roof.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Looks pretty "solid" to me. There's no reflection of the trees like on top of the rest of the car and the moon roof. There would be some transparency to the reflection rather than being solid.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
I think I've figured it out. I think it is the reflection of the chimney of the house across the street as you pointed out. Unfortunately, the seats on this car are having adjustment problems and it's currently set for a 5' 2" girl and not a 6' 3" man and I can't get her to help me out by moving it slightly or any cooperation whatsoever....LOL. She's on a mission to iron her clothes.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Is it picking up the reflection of the (concrete?) post at the end of the drive? Try putting the bottle or something else on top of that.
That post is the mailbox and it's sitting a couple of inches lower than the car. What we are seeing is the chimney from the house across the street and you can barely see the roof shingles but what was perplexing was trying to figure out what it was when the camera angle does not include the roof of that house. When you are standing at ground level you can't see it.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Beat me to it, thats exactly what I was thinking. Good sleuthing!

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
yah, chimney on the house across the way. car is too shiny. let it get dirty.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Well, what was confusing was that only that small rectangle was reflecting and not the entire chimney stack but I suppose it's the curve of the top that doesn't allow the entire stack to reflect. That plus the reflection was so opaque. Okay, I give....I'm a dumb-ass....LOL!