Webserver not working on rebuild

Raylo32

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am deploying a new router (TP-Link A20 tri-band) and rebuilding my BI setup (still on v.4) and everything is back, except the webserver just doesn't work. The main BI server that I have running as a service works fine... the native BI software on the host PC works fine... UI3 in a browser on the host machine works fine. But it will not route anywhere outside of the host machine, not even to other PCs or devices on the same LAN. All other connected devices and Internet service is fine. Never had this particular issue in over 10 years of BI use. If I click the Windows network diagnostics it reports the server is there but is not responding.

Any ideas what to check? I have tried with all the router security to include the firewall off. No other blocking or prioritization engaged. Pretty much just starting with the basic default router config with my wifi info entered. Also looks like the VPN is going to be problematic. I never had any issues with my old Linksys for VPN. Worked first time/every time. No luck connecting the VPN up with this router yet. :-( Next step is to save my BI config, delete the app, and start over. But I really hate to do that. If I do I may upgrade to v.5 whilst I am at it.

Here is a photo of the web server setup. I have tried other ports, didn't make any difference.

BIWebServer.PNG

hikky_b

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Perhaps obvious but is the gateway in your [host machine] network settings correctly pointed to your router? (eg 192.168.1.1)

I'm assuming no VLANs setup etc?

Have you tested other ports?

Raylo32

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yup, 192.168.1.1 gateway, no VLANS. And I have tried a few other ports. The BI host PC is wired gigabit and I can't successfully ping it from another wired PC. It just times out. Strange. I put the old router back in place and it is the same deal. I need t take another look at the NIC properties but I haven't changed anything. I am no network expert but this BI configuration stuff has never been an issue for me before. <scratching head>

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
There is a compatibility problem with UI3 and BI 4.x.x.x if I remember correctly. Your rebuild may have awoken that problem.

Raylo32

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
But I can't even ping the host PC ip address?? And the iOS app also won't connect. Host PC IP config looks like this and seems OK to this non-pro. Edit: OK, this time ping worked. But UI3 still not finding BI.

IPconfig.PNG

Raylo32

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
LOL... and just as the ping started working UI3 started working on the other desktop. And now, bam, everything working... VPN, remote desktop, etc. The network gods were cruel but they finally smiled on me.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
I know you have it working but out of curiosity you said you rebuilt the BI machine. That mean new motherboard/NIC for the BI host?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
LOL you guys, UI3 is just a set of files in Blue Iris's web server directory. No way can it cause connection failure.

I was going to recommend adding a rule to Windows Firewall to allow inbound TCP on port 8081 for all network types (public/private/domain), but if the issue fixed itself, then all is fine I guess. Could have been the network switching from public to private, assuming the existing firewall rule only allowed inbound traffic on a private network.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Could have been the network switching from public to private, assuming the existing firewall rule only allowed inbound traffic on a private network.
Yes, over the last 6 months I've had 2 customers that had issues after a Windows 10 update; the update switched network type from private to public and therefore turning off file sharing, etc.....accounting PC's with client s/w could not access the shared files on the accounting server, etc.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, over the last 6 months I've had 2 customers that had issues after a Windows 10 update; the update switched network type from private to public and therefore turning off file sharing, etc.....accounting PC's with client s/w could not access the shared files on the accounting server, etc.
Yep, that happened to one of mine. Took me a minute to figure that out. Not sure why that one and not others running the same Win 10 version.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
I was thinking an expired ARP table on the hosts trying to connect to the BI server. If he changed the NIC, then that would explain the delay in connectivity until the hosts had updated their ARP table.

Raylo32

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Must have been something with the routing table... but it all resolved and is working perfectly again. I am back on the Linksys 3200 ACM mainly because I had difficulty with TP-Link VPN. Dead simple and easy on the Linksys. I might revisit that again sometime because I like the interface better than the Linksys and the tri-band (2 separate 5Ghz radios) makes it easier to segregate and organize devices. Plus TP-Link has their own free DDNS service.

Routers are funny, though... I went through and tried to identify and label all my devices and both routers had given my HIK cam a friendly name that was the same name as the PC running BI... but correct ip address. And both routers gave my laptop the same unknown (Desktop-RUMVCJN) weird PC name. I fixed those issues. But I have to admit I don't understand how that happens in the first place.

Raylo32

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I know the BI windows PC name. It was just duplicated and applied to the Dahua camera in the Linksys and TP-Link network maps/lists. And I know the name of the laptop and it ain't RUMVCJN!

Raylo32

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well, you were correct! I checked system info and it is indeed Desktop-RUMVCJN. That is weird because I gave it a different name when I got it. But it did go to ASUS for motherboard replacement about a year and a half ago. It must have changed then... but why the called it that?? It's a Zenbook notebook, not even close to a desktop.

The "About" page doesn't show the laptop name as "RUMVCJN"? That is wierd if it ID'ed it as that.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
The part after desktop is randomly generated I believe. Not sure why it starts them with "desktop" even for laptops though. Its Window so who knows... I hate Windows.

Raylo32

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well, I broke it again... I just couldn't leave well enough alone. I haven't had a dynamic DNS since DDNS quit providing them for free. So I decided to try NO-IP free since the Linksys router supports it. I created a domain and enabled it in the router... simple enough... BUT... now I can't access the BI server even on my LAN and browsers via the local ip address or on the iOS app?? That makes no sense. So I deleted the dns domain, disabled the service in the router and rebooted it but still no joy. Perhaps it'll be like yesterday and just start working again sometime. LOL.

Raylo32

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Oh... it seems in going through that exercise BI changed the internal LAN ip address for the BI server. Maybe I'll try again.