Web UI showing skewed videos and thumbnails

Stev Wolf

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
When I log on to my BlueIris web site to look at videos and pictures remotely there is an odd issue that I dont understand.
Some of the pictures and videos show a split thumbnail where the videos/pictures show the picture skewed.
I'm submitting a picture to show you.
Here is what gets me to that point.
I log on, then I choose Alerts, wait for them to load up. I click on the thumbnails one at a time. However some of the thumbnail pictures show as I have indicated. Then when I click on the video to play the selected video they play in the same way. E.G. in this split mode. which makes it hard to view and makes sense of.
I only have two cameras installed. I have tried to view the video in the BI software its self and it seems OK. In other words I think it has recorded the video properly. This sympton only shows up in the web application for both cameras.
Again its not all the videos just a few. But in one case I wanted to see a video of someone that came onto the property but could not make head nor tails of it in the web interface. But when I went into he BI software it looked fine.
Can you tell me where the problem lies?

The Software says that it is:
UI3 Version 70 Blue Iris VErsion 4.8.6.3

I'm using Chrome to look at web pages.

Regards

Please note in the picture I have erased personal data.

Note the bottom left. Its all skewed and as far as I can tell not the whole image anyway. It looks like it has been turned on its side and then squished into the frame. But other pictures are fine??

Split_BI_Web.jpg

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
When I log on to my BlueIris web site to look at videos and pictures remotely there is an odd issue that I dont understand.
Some of the pictures and videos show a split thumbnail where the videos/pictures show the picture skewed.
I'm submitting a picture to show you.
Here is what gets me to that point.
I log on, then I choose Alerts, wait for them to load up. I click on the thumbnails one at a time. However some of the thumbnail pictures show as I have indicated. Then when I click on the video to play the selected video they play in the same way. E.G. in this split mode. which makes it hard to view and makes sense of.
I only have two cameras installed. I have tried to view the video in the BI software its self and it seems OK. In other words I think it has recorded the video properly. This sympton only shows up in the web application for both cameras.
Again its not all the videos just a few. But in one case I wanted to see a video of someone that came onto the property but could not make head nor tails of it in the web interface. But when I went into he BI software it looked fine.
Can you tell me where the problem lies?

The Software says that it is:
UI3 Version 70 Blue Iris VErsion 4.8.6.3

I'm using Chrome to look at web pages.

Regards

Please note in the picture I have erased personal data.

Note the bottom left. Its all skewed and as far as I can tell not the whole image anyway. It looks like it has been turned on its side and then squished into the frame. But other pictures are fine??

View attachment 45007
Are you certain it plays normally on the server? the image indicates you incorrectly selected 360 in the blue iris video tab for that camera.

Stev Wolf

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Are you certain it plays normally on the server? the image indicates you incorrectly selected 360 in the blue iris video tab for that camera.
Thanks for your reply. You're right it does look like a 360 picture. But No cameras are set to 360. And it is only a few videos from the same cameras. I think the videos are there. The one in particular that I looked at and it was there in tact. It's an erratic thing.

Stev Wolf

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have to go away now. It appears no one has had this problem because I assume someone would have said OH yes here is the answer. So I really don't know how to resolve. It is happening more frequently. I have tested the clips on the BI software server and the videos are recorded nicely. Also it appears that the thumbnail picture of the individual clips on the the WEB server are ok, that is when i increased the size so I could see the thumbnail better it looks like it is not skewed 360 picture. But when I hover my mouse over it then it looks skewed. And when I play the video on the WEB UI it plays skewed making it almost useless. Strange. I have tried to change various settings but nothing seems to help. This problem exist on both my cameras. One a Hikvision and the other Geovision. These are professional level cameras costing 250 to 500 dollars. I can only assume it is some interaction with the WEB UI and the BI DB of pictures. However the fact that this is not a common problem must mean that it is somewhat Unique to me. Why cant I be unique in that I win a million dollars. Oh well.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, I have no idea what is wrong. I too would have guessed some kind of 360 dewarping is going on, but if you are certain that is set to "No" in BI Cam properties > Video tab, then it must be something more obscure. The fact it appears in the mouseover preview as well as during playback tells me it is not some wacky fault of the HTML5 video player because it is affecting a jpeg-based player as well.

Here are a few shots in the dark.

1) Make sure you record using direct to disc and BVR format. This will avoid using any third party video codecs to decode the video.
2) Post a screenshot of the camera's encoder settings from its web interface.
3) Post a screenshot of the BI camera properties > Video Tab > Network IP Configure panel.

Does the problem occur every time you view an affected clip or is it intermittent where sometimes it will play okay?

Stev Wolf

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yeah, I have no idea what is wrong. I too would have guessed some kind of 360 dewarping is going on, but if you are certain that is set to "No" in BI Cam properties > Video tab, then it must be something more obscure. The fact it appears in the mouseover preview as well as during playback tells me it is not some wacky fault of the HTML5 video player because it is affecting a jpeg-based player as well.

Here are a few shots in the dark.

1) Make sure you record using direct to disc and BVR format. This will avoid using any third party video codecs to decode the video.
2) Post a screenshot of the camera's encoder settings from its web interface.
3) Post a screenshot of the BI camera properties > Video Tab > Network IP Configure panel.

Does the problem occur every time you view an affected clip or is it intermittent where sometimes it will play okay?
Thanks I will look into the suggestions and get back to you. BTW here is a bigger screen shot just to show the problem. I wondered to my self if it was just the computer its self. The tests I had been doing were on the BI Web Server its self which are a win 7 computer. I tested it on a windows 10 and as you can see below same problem. I will get back with answers later.skew2.jpg

Stev Wolf

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You may have hit upon something.
I looked at the Video settings for both cameras in BI and indeed the 360 setting was set to Ceiling. I have changed them to NO. I will have to wait to see if this fixes it.

Perhaps I don't understand 360. I set it to Ceiling originally because, well the cameras are mounted on the ceiling with the dome down. Oddly when I changed it to "NO" nothing in the BI software active pictures changed. It looks exactly the same. And I would not call it 360 it just shoots a picture straight were I point the lens, not anything like the skewed pictures Im getting in the web interface. Also If the 360 setting really was the issue then it would be incorrect ALL the time, but it is not. And finally if the WEB software is playing the video properly, e.g. with the Skewed image, why doesnt the BI software also show it in the way.

There are several disconnects in logic. But I will wait a while to see if this fixes it.

I will get back with me results.
Regards

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Blue Iris has a ton of features like this which are not documented well enough in the GUI, so you must look in the help file to learn about them. The 360 dewarping feature for some reason was never applied to live view, only to playback of recordings. There's an additional 360 dewarping option in the context menu when playing a recording too (context menu == right click menu).