Weathercam FTP image resolution

prsmith777

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Not sure exactly where to post this, because I'm not sure where the problem lies.

I have a 4K color cam as a weather cam that is pushing images to Ambient Weather by FTP. Ambient creates an mpg from the images which is kind of cool.

There is a problem with the FTP images where the image resolution is diminished every so often. You can see this by looking at the time stamp in the bottom right corner which becomes enlarged. Seems to happen near the top of the hour.

Any ideas on what is causing this and how to correct?

Also notice the burnout in the sky from damage from direct sun exposure.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The video they make of my FTP'ed images to Ambient Weather (at bottom) doesn't do that. My time stamp on the left is from the camera and the temp and time updated on the right are BI overlays.

I assume that's a BI overlay for time and date and NOT from the camera, right?

Maybe the space required for the wider ZEROES at the top of the hours causes the width to expand. What happens if in the BI overlay you use either a smaller font OR better yet, drag the width to the left to allow more room for the characters and change justify to RIGHT align so it can fill to the left?

View attachment 40F5200AE4FF.mp4

Last edited:

prsmith777

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So moving the time stamp over didnt work.

I am fairly certain this is a resolution issue. It is the same thing that happens in UI3 when you enlarge an image to fullscreen. For a sec the image is low res and the time stamp is large... then the high res image kicks in and the time stamp gets smaller.

I am wondering if I should lower the resolution of the ftp images being sent. I have it on default and 90%. Maybe lowering it will work?

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
These are images from BI post section.
I’m wondering if the posted image is occasionally grabbed from the substream.

This is not possible, of course, if Blue Iris is not capturing dual-stream for the camera.
If you are capturing dual-stream, it is perhaps something you could ask Ken.

I’m asking because the random images with the large camera timestamps look similar to the substream images I see with my cameras.

Last edited:

prsmith777

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I’m wondering if the posted image is occasionally grabbed from the substream.

This is not possible, of course, if Blue Iris is not capturing dual-stream for the camera.
If you are capturing dual-stream, it is perhaps something you could ask Ken.

I’m asking because the random images with the large camera timestamps look similar to the substream images I see with my cameras.
Yes I am capturing dual stream. I think you could be correct.

I lowered image quality to 75%. Will report back to see if this helps