Weather Stations

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I agree.

Hind sight being 20 20, I wish I bought a Davis. I’ve been thru two Netatmo’s and an Accurite in 6 hrs.

Accurite didn’t even last a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Once upon a time when Weather Underground actually worked, looking at the Wonder Map, it was very easy to pick out the Neatamo crap, because they all had erroneous high or low readings. Absolute junk.
If you want accuracy, and it simply just works, and doesn't have to be constantly futzed with, then stick with a Davis or a Rainwise station. With a Rainwise, you can actually read the console from 20ft away.
Both have real US based support and manufacturing.

I am running a 21 yr old Texas Weather Instruments WRL-128, the only issue I've had with it is I've had to replace the bearings in the anemometer twice, and replaced the humidity sensor 3 times, replaced the wind cups once, as the sun ate them up.
Both at a cost of less than $10 each time. Unfortunately, Texas Weather Instruments is no longer in business as I believe the owner passed away.

I made the mistake of purchasing an Ambient Weather Ws-2000 about a year and a half ago for my elderly father, it's been a pain in the ass since the beginning for a variety of reasons.
The Facebook support group is full of folks having issue's with their AW stations.
As always, Buy once, cry once.

Last edited:

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
Davis has been the long time leader in this field. But, they have zero innovation in the past decade. They will be passed. There is no doubt that the stations are robust, but the price is very high, the flexibility limited.
Davis does have a niche market that no other brand of weather station has. You will never find a Davis system @ Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot or Best Buy. They do have a home owner type of unit for less money, but most of Davis's VP2 lineup is more aimed at the Pro Market. I don't believe they want to abandon the large group of loyal users they have all over the world in that corner of the market. Their systems are designed to withstand testing in a 200 MPH wind tunnel. It also helps them that they have been in business for over 50 years. The biggest change I have seen them make was the rain collector. They changed the whole look and design of it to increase accuracy of hard blown rain. Mine still has the old style rain collector with the bird spikes on it. Where my station is located, we don't usually get a lot of hard, wind driven rain. It has also withstood some major hailstorms that produced golfball sized hail that demolished the metal roof on my house twice and made the hood on my F250 look like it had golfball dimples all over it. The weather station came out unscratched, except I had a couple of metal bird spikes that were bent.

In the age of "Climate Change" (I hate that phrase), you will continue to see more and more monitoring stations be put into service by organizations. The trendy, low cost consumer based stuff will quickly come and go. The more robust, pro type monitoring stations will be what will be installed.

Coltect

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have used a few different brands over about 15 years. No Davis as I never had the spare funds to blow on one. The first one was a LaCrosse WS-2500 which worked well, but the logging software was not very friendly. I then found Cumulus and used that for logging, but it would lose connectivity with the station and usually during some weather event that would have been nice to record. I have since had 3 other hardware stations, probably all the same chinese manufacturer, with different name brands.

About 3 years ago I discovered WeeWx and Software Defined Radio. I now use a Digital TV dongle with software called rtl_433 that can pick up the individual sensors on the 433.92MHz frequency and can read info directly from all the cheap chinese sensors and from the LaCrosse sensors and whatever else I can get that uses the 433 band. No more relying on the unreliable indoor consoles to gather the data as WeeWX reads it directly. Interestingly, when I first was trying to set this up I discovered that the old LaCrosse sensors that were on a shelf in the shed were still transmitting after years of not being used.

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I've been using two tablets for this (one for map, the other for forcast) and overlaying the temp and time on the map, but decided I wanted everything on one one tablet (and using the other tablet to do the same thing, but putting it in the garage. Anybody else pulling stuff from the net, combining it with your weather station data (I'm using BI Tools and WU for that part) and putting it all on a tablet (Fire 8 here)? I still need to draw up a frame that suits me in portrait mode and 3D print it but this works (for me!).

1649859020147.png

Reaction score
LOL.... so much Acurite bashing.... OK-- they deserve it. Many different weird hardware issues with them over the years.

That said-- I have kept an Acurite station running for about 8 years now, through several different pieces of hardware. As much as I love the 5-in-1 sensor outside, I also really love having multiple indoor sensors plus one in my garage. Most of those temp/humidity sensors are 6 to 8 years old. My 5-in-1 sensor outside died a hard death last year and I was looking to upgrade. Hmmmm. I didn't see a system that would handle my desire to keep multiple indoor sensors, acurite had a sale (the always have a sale), and I just replaced it. Mine is 13 feet above my deck, which puts it almost even with the peak of my roofline. I should have it another 4 or 5 feet up, but it is much more accurate than it had been at 8 feet above the deck.

1649864875332.png

redpoint5

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Acurite seems to have some decent products now. I've been running the Ambient Weather WS-2902C for a couple years now. It survived the ice storm that took out power for a week. Sending to PWSweather so my sprinkler system has rain data.

Amazon

IMG_1484.jpg

63492174094__4186D205-E552-4053-AF6C-AAF072EA6E1C (3).jpg

IMG_1541 (1).jpg

Timokreon

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It always amazes me how much damage ice can cause. I've seen it crush steel ship hulls like they were nothing more than a tin can. Have to respect mother nature, every once in awhile she reminds us who's really the boss.
Out of curiosity, if you don't mind saying @redpoint5 , did you have to pay for the fence repair or did the neighbor with the tree?

redpoint5

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Mounting to the PVC pipe ended up saving the weather station as a branch snagged it and bent the whole thing over. After cutting the branch away and thawing, the whole then popped back into position.

Out of curiosity, if you don't mind saying @redpoint5 , did you have to pay for the fence repair or did the neighbor with the tree?
Neighbor had cleared the whole mess by 10am that morning. I figured since he cleaned up the mess, I'd build the 2 panels back. It was only 1 post that had to be replaced.

Here's a poorly shot and edited video of my street, morning after ice storm had begun

The rest of my ice storm content if anyone's interested
2021 Ice Storm - Google Drive

Reaction score
Mounting to the PVC pipe ended up saving the weather station as a branch snagged it and bent the whole thing over. After cutting the branch away and thawing, the whole then popped back into position.

Neighbor had cleared the whole mess by 10am that morning. I figured since he cleaned up the mess, I'd build the 2 panels back. It was only 1 post that had to be replaced.

Here's a poorly shot and edited video of my street, morning after ice storm had begun

The rest of my ice storm content if anyone's interested
2021 Ice Storm - Google Drive
Nice. Drone shots? Which drone, if they are.

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
... did you have to pay for the fence repair or did the neighbor with the tree?
It's been my experience that the property owner that received damage from fallen tree pays for damage & tree removal. Apparently this is a mutual agreement amongst insurance companies:angry:. Not to say you could not put forth the effort, and regularly send a property owner repeated certified letters stating concerns about the health and condition of specific trees. If/when they do come down and cause damage, the repeated letters will increase the chances of you getting the property owner to pay the costs. I hope I never have the direct knowledge of knowing whether or not the letters sent is beneficial.

redpoint5

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Nice. Drone shots? Which drone, if they are.
Cheap Chinese drone ($300) that was top of the line 4 years ago, Mii Drone 4k. It was on par with the Phantom 3 back then. I bought some super cheap antenna boosters that make the remote directional, and can maintain signal further out than the drone has battery. Took it out about 3 miles once and was about a mile short on the return. Had the drone autoland near a railroad track so I could walk the track and easily spot it.

It's been my experience that the property owner that received damage from fallen tree pays for damage & tree removal. Apparently this is a mutual agreement amongst insurance companies:angry:. Not to say you could not put forth the effort, and regularly send a property owner repeated certified letters stating concerns about the health and condition of specific trees. If/when they do come down and cause damage, the repeated letters will increase the chances of you getting the property owner to pay the costs. I hope I never have the direct knowledge of knowing whether or not the letters sent is beneficial.
I would think whoever owns the fence is responsible to repair. Law considers anything trees do to be an act of god. For instance, leaves that end up in your yard are your responsibility regardless of who owns the tree, or if it overhangs your property. You're allowed to trim back anything that encroaches into your property, however.

The tree was very healthy, it was just a bad storm. 95% of trees lost at least 1 limb, and probably 5% were total losses. Several of the trees in the commons uprooted. Between the fire the year before, and the ice storm, there should be enormous amounts of lumber. Strange there's such a lumber shortage still. Firewood is free for the taking, as we still haven't cleaned up entirely.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
The only time a homeowner can be held liable for damage caused by a falling tree that damages someone else's property is if the tree was reported as dangerous and the owner did not do anything about it (and importantly you can prove all of this). Normal, healthy looking trees falling is considered an "act of God" and the person who's property was damaged has to handle it.

I had a good friend who lost a nice Nautique Ski boat sitting in his driveway when a neighbors tree fell on it. It was my friends insurance that paid.

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
The only time a homeowner can be held liable for damage caused by a falling tree that damages someone else's property is if the tree was reported as dangerous and the owner did not do anything about it (and importantly you can prove all of this). Normal, healthy looking trees falling is considered an "act of God" and the person who's property was damaged has to handle it.

I had a good friend who lost a nice Nautique Ski boat sitting in his driveway when a neighbors tree fell on it. It was my friends insurance that paid.
I agree with yours & @redpoint5's comments, healthy trees enduring significant forces of nature are unavoidable. Adjacent small lot next door that is neglected and used by neighbors to dump mostly natural waste is resulting in some ill trees. Never seen bittersweet so... healthy... at 4-6" diameter. Lost part of the porch and AG pool two years after moving in from one tree all rotted inside. Been writing 3-4 letters annually to land owner ever since.

And, yes, some owners do step-up and work with those who suffered damage.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
My neighbor has a yard divided into two sections. A small section of nice lawn with a stockade fence and the rest is "au natural". That means its just woods. He tells me he likes it natural even though he uses it for a dumping place for yard and some other waste. It is also infested with English Ivy. English Ivy is not a native species here in NJ, or the US for that matter, and is extremely invasive and is also destructive. It climbs trees, attaching roots to the trees and sucking moisture out of the trees. Plus there's the tremendously increased wind surface area caused by the heavy growth of the ivy.

I use defoliant two or three times a season to keep it away from our yard and fences, but the poor trees over in his "yard" are showing the effects of the ivy. They are going bald at the top, where they actually grow and get their sunlight from. They are being slowly weakened and over time will start falling due to that weakness. He doesn't seem to grasp what's going on. I have mentioned it to him on multiple occasions but it falls on deaf ears, he wants it "natural" even if actually natural doesn't include that damn English Ivy.

Last edited:

redpoint5

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Few things I hate more than ivy. Poison oak, and maybe Scotch Broom. Himalayan blackberries are agressive/invasive here too, but at least they produce something tasty. Those are the main things I'm in an endless battle over.

mcapeed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I just ordered the Weatherflow weather station. Looks to have a good interface with lots of historical data available too. Will mount it on my roof about 30’ above the ground so I get good wind speed measurement. Will also connect my irrigation system to it and use its forecasting capabilities to save water. Current weather data sucks and I end up watering during/after heavy rain.

It has AI and uses haptic rain measurement and uses other surrounding weather data to improve accuracy……will see.

Price is reasonable , although that wasn’t the driving force. I almost bought a Rainwise station but couldn’t justify the $1,000+ cost.

After installation and some time with it I will report back.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ok so an update on my Ambient Weather Ws-2000 that I inherited from my dad.
After some complaining to AW, they issued a couple of firmware updates, it has now been rock solid and very accurate since Nov of last yr.

I currently have 7 additional temp/humidity sensors linked to the system, with room for one more. I also have their lightning detector, one soil moisture sensor, and a leak detector.
I'm very happy with the Ambient Weather system now.

My Texas Weather Instruments bit the dust back in Feb of this yr after 22yrs of faithful service.

mcapeed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Got the Tempest Station installed. One of the easiest I have experienced connecting to the hub/wifi of any IOT devise and I have done literally hundreds ( used to be in the field).

Used my decommissioned satellite mount for the station. Hardware supplied was well designed and easy to connect. Post is a standard chain link top rail that I supplied.

Don’t expect rain any time soon being in TX and it is summer now. User interface is nice and easy to understand. Temp/wind/humidity appear to be accurate. App is updated every 60 seconds so it is current. Also like the history selections. Lays it out in a format that makes sense…..numbers or graph.

Next up is getting my sprinkler system linked. Directions look easy just need the time to do it. Requires computer not app.

IMG_1039.jpg

IMG_1037.jpg
IMG_1058.jpg

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Got the Tempest Station installed. One of the easiest I have experienced connecting to the hub/wifi of any IOT devise and I have done literally hundreds ( used to be in the field).

Used my decommissioned satellite mount for the station. Hardware supplied was well designed and easy to connect. Post is a standard chain link top rail that I supplied.

Don’t expect rain any time soon being in TX and it is summer now. User interface is nice and easy to understand. Temp/wind/humidity appear to be accurate. App is updated every 60 seconds so it is current. Also like the history selections. Lays it out in a format that makes sense…..numbers or graph.

Next up is getting my sprinkler system linked. Directions look easy just need the time to do it. Requires computer not app.
Nice looking station, looking forward to hearing of its success and your satisfaction...keep us informed!

I had a Davis VantageVue for about 9 years until lighting (I think) got it. I've been using a Ambient Weather WS-2902C since Dec. of 2020.

Any info yet on your unit's API and possibility of integrating with Blue Iris Tools, Home Assistant or other home automation programs?

I think this is also good that they have this accessory below available; obviously it's already been an issue for someone, somewhere.

Bird Deterrent Accessory

weatherflow-bird-deter.jpg